6 things to do in Cy-Fair this weekend, March 17-19

Christ the Redeemer hosts fish fry dinners every Friday during Lent.

March 17: Knights of Columbus Fish Fry

Christ the Redeemer Catholic Church’s Knights of Columbus host a fish fry every Friday during Lent. Dine-in and take-out options are available. Meals include a choice of baked fish, fried fish or shrimp and are served with three sides, a drink and dessert. 4:30-7:30 p.m. $5 (children), $8 (adults). Christ the Redeemer Catholic Church, 11507 Huffmeister Road, Houston. 281-469-5533. www.ctrcc.com

March 17-April 9: “The Producers

Presented by Stageworks Theatre, the Broadway musical comedy by Mel Brooks has received a record 12 Tony Awards. The movie version of this show is rated PG-13 for strong language, sexual innuendo and adult themes. 7:30 p.m. (Fridays and Saturdays), 3 p.m. (Sundays). $17 (students), $24 (seniors), $28 (adults). The Garza Mainstage, 10760 Grant Road, Houston. 281-587-6100. www.stageworkshouston.org/the-producers

March 17-18: St. Patrick’s Day at Mo’s Irish Pub

The local pub will have food and drink specials and Irish dancers throughout the weekend. Curtis Skelton, Funk Monkeyz and Sol Flair perform Friday, and ThunderPants will perform Saturday. 3 p.m. (first performance Friday). Free (admission). Mo’s Irish Pub, 14102 Mueschke Road, Cypress. 281-213-2989. www.mosirishpub.com/cypress

March 18: St. Patty’s Pub Crawl

Participants will stop at Henry Hudson’s Pub, Brewskis, Mac’s Sportsbar, The Shack Burger Resort, Bedrock Tavern, The Thirsty Texan, Shamrocks Pub and Fletchers. Tickets include transportation, a backpack, cup, wristband, koozie and flashing pin for drink specials. 2-9 p.m. $12-30. Henry Hudson’s Pub, 13300 FM 1960, Houston. www.htxpubcrawls.com

March 20: Subsea Tieback Foundation Golf Tournament

The 11th annual event will raise funds for the Subsea Tieback Foundation, an organization working to inform, educate and introduce careers in the oil and gas industry. 7 a.m.-1:30 p.m. $225 (individual player), $900 (four-man team). Blackhorse Golf Club, 12205 Fry Road, Cypress.

March 20: TroubleShooters Immunization Program

Harris Health System sets out to increase the percentage of fully immunized children by hosting events in non-traditional venues. Parents should bring shot records. Nurses follow up as needed. 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Free. Berry Center, 8877 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress. 713-873-8687. www.berrycenter.net
By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

METRONext is the agency’s $3.5 billion bond approved by voters in November 2019, which aims to ease traffic congestion, add expansion to the METRO, and make accessibility and safety upgrades.
(Shawn Arrajj/Community Impact Newspaper)
METRO Board approves $1.3 billion budget, discusses METRONext projects

The METRO board of directors met Sept. 21 to give an overview of the drafted budget as well as to receive public comments. It was unanimously approved at the Sept. 23 board meeting.

Left to right: The Senator IPA, Speak Sam Rayburn Pecan Porter and Smoke Show Roasted Jalapeno Blonde are among the most popular brews at Senate Avenue Brewing Co. (Emily Jaroszewski/Community Impact Newspaper)
Senate Avenue Brewing Co. to celebrate first anniversary in Jersey Village

Andrew and Michelle Mitcham opened Senate Avenue Brewing Co. last October in Jersey Village.

The Texas Secretary of State's office has launched an audit of 2020 election results in four of Texas’ largest counties: Harris, Dallas, Tarrant and Collin. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Texas Secretary of State's office announces audit of 2020 election results in Dallas, Collin, Tarrant and Harris counties

In a statement released Sept. 23, the office said it anticipates the state Legislature will fund the process.

Kyle City Council voted 6-1 and approved the new citywide trail master plan that will utilize 2020 bond election funds for trails that will help connect Austin to San Antonio. (Courtesy Pexels)
CI Nation roundup: Perfect Game coming to Cedar Park; Kyle City Council approves trail master plan to connect Austin to San Antonio and more top stories

Take a look at the top five trending stories across all of Community Impact Newspaper’s coverage areas as of Sept. 24.

Big League Dreams will reopen in December with updated turf, seating, nets, fencing, graphics and other upgrades. (Courtesy city of League City)
Big League Dreams to reopen in League City; New Caney ISD officials address student possession of a gun, and more top stories from Greater Houston

Read the most popular business and community news from the past week from the Greater Houston area.

The new clinic opened in the Fairfield area in late August. (Courtesy Houston Methodist)
Houston Methodist Primary Care Group opens new Cypress clinic

Board-certified family medicine physician Dr. Rashad Ramkissoon will serve patients at the new clinic.

Comcast will award $1 million to small businesses owned by people of color in Fort Bend and Harris counties (Courtesy Fotolia)
Comcast Rise Investment Fund to award small business grants in Harris, Fort Bend counties

Comcast will award $1 million to small businesses owned by people of color in Fort Bend and Harris counties.

Several parents of New Caney ISD students spoke at the district's Sept. 20 board meetings about recent allegations that a student brought a firearm to Porter High School's Sept. 18 homecoming dance. NCISD Superintendent Matt Calvert stressed that no gunshots were fired at the event, and that the district is investigating the allegations. (Wesley Gardner/Community Impact Newspaper)
CI Nation roundup: Round Rock ISD trustees considered for censuring; New Caney ISD addresses allegations of student with gun at campus event and more top stories

Take a look at the top five trending stories across all of Community Impact Newspaper’s coverage areas as of Sept. 23.

Amy Wine Counseling opened in 2016. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Amy Wine Counseling Center celebrates fifth anniversary in Cy-Fair

The local counseling center serves children, teens, adults, couples and families.

La Viva Cantina is now open. (Courtesy La Viva Cantina)
Tex-Mex eatery La Viva Cantina now open in Cypress

La Viva Cantina opened this month at Fairfield Town Center.

Houston resident Marissa Hanson spoke on keeping tax rates low during the Harris County Commissioners Court public hearing on Sept. 21. (Emily Lincke/Community Impact Newspaper)
Harris County Commissioners propose tax cuts at cost of Harris Health System funding

On average, Harris County homeowners may see lower tax rates in the next year, but it will come at the cost of $17 million in funding for the county’s hospital district, according to Harris County Administrator David Berry.

The Factory Salon is opening soon in Fairfield. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
The Factory Salon to open new location this fall in Fairfield

Services include haircuts, blowouts, coloring and balayage, perms, conditioning treatments, facial waxing, and makeup and eyelash applications from Aveda-trained stylists.