SXSW is officially here, so prepare for a busy week. But there's more than just SXSW that Southwest Austinites should know about this week. Here's some helpful tidbits to get you through the week:
1. Daylight saving time began today, which means clocks sprung ahead one hour last night. Ever wondered where the practice comes from? Find out here.
2. SXSW kicked off Friday and will continue through March 19. Keep this in mind when making plans in the downtown area. If you're planning to attend the conference, you can avoid the headache of parking and take public transit instead. Here are some helpful tips.
3. A myriad of Austin-based industry experts are scheduled to speak during SXSW throughout the week, including Jag Bath, CEO of Favor, and Chris Botwick, co-owner of the Half Step on Rainey Street. Check out this list of some of the highly anticipated local speakers.
4. Austin ISD schools are closed this week for Spring Break. The school will resume regular business hours on Mon., March 20.
5. More details about Oak Hill's new Baylor Scott & White hospital, the Austin Medical Center, were revealed at a neighborhood association meeting last week. The developers anticipate going before the city’s Planning Commission later this month or by early next month.
6. The Austin Board of Realtors, or ABoR, has relocated its South Austin office to 11200 Manchaca Road, Ste. 301, Austin. The new location features an upgraded Realtor store, a closing room, a larger conference room and a space for continuing education.