Cy-Fair ISD Chief of Police Alan Bragg announces retirement

U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul visited the Cy-Fair ISD police department during his 2016 Back the Blue tour.

Cy-Fair ISD Chief of Police Alan Bragg joined the department in 2012. Cy-Fair ISD Chief of Police Alan Bragg joined the department in 2012.[/caption]

In his 45th year of law enforcement, Cy-Fair ISD Chief of Police Alan Bragg has announced that he will be retiring from his position this June. He was hired as the district's first chief of police in 2012, joining the department after serving as Spring ISD’s chief of police for 21 years.

“The selfish side of me would love to keep working here,” Bragg said. “This is where God was leading me to go, but my wife retired from teaching in 2011. She’s been waiting on me to retire.”

From the time he joined the staff, Bragg led efforts in transitioning away from contracting services with Harris County Precinct 4 constables, hired much of the existing staff and built the department from the ground up.

“We have a great team of professional law enforcement officers who came to us from many difference agencies to get on board with the new department,” he said. “We are out there taking care and protecting our facilities around the clock.”

CFISD is now receiving applicants for his position, officials said.

Safety and security update

Since passing a bond in 2014, CFISD officials have been working hard to install new measures that enhance safety and security districtwide.

The bond allotted about $60 million of the total $1.2 billion that was passed for safety and security upgrades. Bragg said this includes providing 40 additional cameras to each high school, 30 to each middle school and 15 to each elementary school as well as upgrading all outdated analog systems.

“We’re very conscious about how we spend that money,” Bragg said. “We want to make sure students and staff have a safe place to go to school every day.”

Alarm systems are also in the process of being upgraded from analog to digital systems. The district has their own plans to build four radio towers to allow officers full coverage in schools and on buses, Bragg said.

In addition to cameras, each school will have a secure vestibule with bullet-resistant glass implemented as campuses undergo renovations. Visitors must either have a card to access the building during school hours or will be visually identified and buzzed in before they are allowed to enter the main part of the school, Bragg said.

In 2015, 639,636 visitors entered CFISD schools during the day. After adding visitors from after hour events, Bragg said more than 1 million people visit campuses every year.

The district’s police department has two officers in every high school, one in each middle school and several additional officers patrolling elementary schools at any given time throughout the school day, Bragg said.

“If students and teachers and parents don’t feel safe in our schools, it probably hinders the educational process if they’re worried about not being safe,” he said.

Since launching for the 2012-13 academic year, the department has grown from 19 officers to 76 with room to grow. Officers monitor the district 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

“There’s a feeling out there sometimes that maybe it’s not a great time to be in law enforcement, but I still think it is,” Bragg said. “We’ve got more construction coming, more schools coming, so we’re still wanting to be at one [officer] per thousand [students].”

By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

La Viva Cantina is now open. (Courtesy La Viva Cantina)
Tex-Mex eatery La Viva Cantina now open in Cypress

La Viva Cantina opened this month at Fairfield Town Center.

Houston resident Marissa Hanson spoke on keeping tax rates low during the Harris County Commissioners Court public hearing on Sept. 21. (Emily Lincke/Community Impact Newspaper)
Harris County Commissioners propose tax cuts at cost of Harris Health System funding

On average, Harris County homeowners may see lower tax rates in the next year, but it will come at the cost of $17 million in funding for the county’s hospital district, according to Harris County Administrator David Berry.

The Factory Salon is opening soon in Fairfield. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
The Factory Salon to open new location this fall in Fairfield

Services include haircuts, blowouts, coloring and balayage, perms, conditioning treatments, facial waxing, and makeup and eyelash applications from Aveda-trained stylists.

Redistricting is one of the items on the Texas Legislature's third special session, and the state Senate released proposed maps on Sept. 18. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Texas Senate releases proposed redistricting maps as special session begins

Redistricting is one of the items on the third special session, and the state Senate released proposed maps on Sept. 18.

The H-GAC also helps guide transportation activities through the Transportation Policy Council, according to the council's website (Courtesy Fotolia)
Houston-Galveston Area Council celebrates 55th anniversary

The Houston-Galveston Area Council will be celebrating its 55th anniversary this October.

Cy-Fair ISD continues to see hundreds of COVID-19 cases confirmed weekly. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
COVID-19 case confirmations down 14% week over week in Cy-Fair ISD

Nearly 3,000 cases have been confirmed on campuses since the start of the 2021-22 school year.

Cliff Woodward (center), co-founder of Cypress Creek Emergency Medical Services, hands the keys of CCEMS’ first ambulance to early CCEMS paramedic Richard Beasley (left) in 1975. (Courtesy Cypress Creek EMS)
Cypress Creek EMS, Harris County ESD 11 forge new paths after yearslong feud

On Sept. 1, the Harris County ESD 11 launched ESD 11 Mobile Healthcare to take over providing emergency services to over 600,000 residents across 177 square miles in its service area in north Harris County.

Texas Medical Center coronavirus updates: Daily average hospitalizations drop 15% week over week; ICU sees dip in number of patients

Coronavirus patients at TMC hospitals number 2,107, which in itself is an 11% week over week decline.

The sandwich chain offers hot subs, cold subs with fresh-cut deli meat, wraps and salads. (Courtesy Jersey Mike's Subs)
Jersey Mike’s Subs opening soon on Barker Cypress Road

The eatery offers a variety of cold and hot subs as well as wraps and salads.

At a Sept. 11 practice, Houston Girls Hockey Association teams took the ice to prepare for their first games the weekend of Sept. 17. (Courtesy Houston Girls Hockey Association)
New Houston-area all-girls hockey league set to play first games this weekend, Sept. 17-19

The league was created to give school-aged girls a chance to continue playing hockey through college, since young girls can often feel discouraged playing on co-ed teams, Director of Membership Valory Zeck said.

graphic
DATA: How population changed in Texas counties between census counts in 2010, 2020

Texas added nearly four million people between 2010 and 2020, according to the latest Census data.