1. Check your voter eligibility.
Before voting, make sure you are eligible and registered. To ensure eligibility, visit www.hctax.net/voter/search. Harris County voters must be U.S. citizens, Harris County residents, at least 18 years old, not a convicted felon, not considered mentally incapacitated by a final judgment of a court and have registered to vote by Oct. 11.
2. Preview the ballot.
3. Find your polling location.
Election Day voters are required to vote at the polling location in the precinct in which they registered. All polling locations will be open from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Voters who are physically unable to enter the polling location without assistance may ask the precinct’s election official to allow them to vote outside the polling location. Click here for a complete list of Harris County polling locations.
4. Drop off your children.
The YMCA of Greater Houston will offer two free hours of childcare for children between ages 6 months to 11 years old on Election Day. Parents who are not YMCA members should allow 30 minutes to complete the registration and check-in process. To find your participating YMCA’s hours or to register your child, call 281-367-9622 or visit www.ymcahouston.org.
5. Bring the proper identification.
If you have lost your voter registration card, you can still vote by presenting proof of identity at the polling location and signing an affidavit. For a replacement certificate, call 512-424-2600 or visit www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/electionID.htm.
Acceptable photo IDs:
- Texas driver’s license issued by DPS
- Texas election identification certificate issued by DPS
- Texas license to carry a handgun issued by DPS
- Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
- U.S. military identification card
- U.S. passport
- U.S. citizenship certificate
No photo ID? Fill out a declaration at the polls explaining why and bring one of the following supporting documents:
- Valid voter registration certificate
- Original certified birth certificate
- Copy of or original bank statement
- Copy of or original government check or paycheck
- Copy of or original current utility bill
- Copy of original government document with your name and address
If you are unable to provide a photo ID or approved supporting documents, you may vote provisionally. This entails signing a provisional affidavit and curing your ballot within six days by bringing proper photo ID to the voter registrar.
6. Follow voting etiquette.
Voters will be asked to turn off their cell phones before entering polling locations. Taking “selfies” and wearing campaign-related clothing will not be allowed on the premises.
7. Let others know.
Using the hashtag #CYFVotes, snap a photo of your “I Voted” sticker after leaving the polling location or share feedback about the election on Twitter and Facebook.
8. Attend a local watch party.
The Harris County Republican Party’s election night watch party will kick off at 6:30 p.m. at 7232 Wynnwood Lane, Houston. Contact Ashlei Kellough at 713-838-7900 for more information.
Members of the Harris County Democratic Party will hold various election night watch parties throughout the night. Visi www.harrisdemocrats.com/nov8watchparties for more information.
9. Follow Community Impact Newspaper for live election results.
Your local edition of Community Impact Newspaper will be covering the elections that matter most to you around the clock Nov. 8. Follow along on Facebook, Twitter and on www.communityimpact.com for updates throughout the evening.