Big decisions made in 2014
- Comprehensive plan—City officials selected a Comprehensive Planning Advisory Committee comprising Jersey Village residents, and led by consultant Freese and Nichols Inc. The committee has been tasked with defining goals and strategies for the city over the next 20 years. The plan is expected to be delivered in 2015.
- Hwy. 290 expansion—A series of actions has resulted in the successful acquisition of right of way for relocation of the city's utilities in conjunction with the Hwy. 290 expansion. Construction has been initiated to move those utilities.
Top issues for 2014
- Comprehensive Plan—A top issue will continue to be the evaluation and implementation of the comprehensive plan. The upcoming Feb. 12 meeting will cover the implementation and review of draft recommendations. Future meetings will include a City Council review and a public meeting to solicit more feedback.
- Economic development—As Hwy. 290 construction progresses, city officials are looking at new ways to attract new businesses, particularly to Jersey Crossing, south of the freeway.
- High-speed rail—City staff will monitor the status of the route selection process for the high-speed rail system between Dallas and Houston. One of the proposed routes entails a rail line located along Hwy. 290 through Jersey Village.
Council meets at 7 p.m. on the third Monday of the month.
Jersey Village Civic Center, 16327 Lakeview Drive, 713-466-2100, www.jerseyvillage.info
Terms and compensation
The mayor and council members serve two-year terms—no more than three consecutive terms—without compensation.
Meetings are televised live on Time Warner Cable on Channel 10 at 6:30 p.m on the second and fourth Thursday of the month.