Visitors to Black Walnut Caf's new location on New Trails Drive will find that not much has changed from its previous site on Research Forest Drive. The menu is the same, the relaxed atmosphere is intact and even the layout was replicated.
"We wanted to make sure we left enough elements in the restaurant to make sure that it was still home," Vice President of Operations Joe Brassard said.
Although Black Walnut's new location offers a host of similarities, Brassard said there have been some
improvements to ensure a better guest experience. Those improvements include a larger parking lot with electric car charging ports, a banquet room that can accommodate more than 100 guests and more booth seating.
"We have been here almost 13 years. The Woodlands has been a great home to us," Brassard said. "This is where we opened our first store, these are our guests here we've grown to love and we wanted to have the capacity to take care of everyone who has been so great to us over the years."
Among the improvements at the New Trails Drive location is a patio-style dining area that features an exterior brick design and large vertical windows that can remain open during good weather. The new banquet room features the same type of windows as well as the latest technology installations and a full-service bar accessible only to those utilizing the private room.
Brassard said the inclusion of a banquet room in the design of the new location was important because few restaurants exist in The Woodlands capable of hosting events. He said since the new location opened in November, Black Walnut Caf has already hosted five events in its private banquet room.
Black Walnut Caf now has 10 locations in Texas, including a restaurant at Galaxy Fixed Base Operation at the Lone Star Executive Airport in Conroe, but The Woodlands was the site of the first cafe when it opened in 2002.
With all that is new and all that is familiar at Black Walnut Caf, Brassard said the restaurant's culinary concept—one that focuses on providing an array of freshly made dishes from a variety of styles—remains unchanged.
"We want to have enough offerings so that if you're in the mood for something with a Japanese flair, and your buddy wants a burger, you can come here and eat," Brassard said. "Our menu speaks to our what our essence is. We want anyone to be able to come here and get a great product for anything that they are looking for."
Black Walnut Caf's breakfast and brunch is served until 11 a.m. on weekdays and until
4 p.m. on weekends.
- Eggs Benedict–Two poached eggs, toasted English muffin, Canadian bacon, potatoes, cayenne citrus hollandaise ($8.25)
- Bacon cheeseburger Benedict–Two poached eggs, two mini-burger patties, toasted English muffin, American cheese, diced bacon, potatoes, cayenne citrus Hollandaise ($8.75)
- Lobster Benedict–Two poached eggs, peppered bacon, seasoned lobster, toasted English muffin, potatoes, cayenne citrus hollandaise ($14.25)
"We have 100 items on the menu, from salads to fish to steaks to sandwiches, all custom made-to-order," Vice President of Operations Joe Brassard said. "You can eat here every week and not have the same thing twice."
- Santa Fe Salad–Grilled marinated chicken breast, roasted corn, black beans, cheddar, tortilla strips, pico de gallo, sweet bell peppers, house greens, spicy mango cilantro dressing, garlic bread ($12.75)
- Darn Good Burger–10-ounce certified Angus beef, sauted onions, mushrooms,
- peppered bacon, cheddar, lettuce, garlic cream cheese, onion bun ($11.50)
- Asian BBQ Salmon–Grilled Asian barbecue salmon, sweet bell peppers, broccoli, snow peas, red onions, scallions, cilantro, honey ginger sauce ($16.50)
Wine and Beer
Black Forest Caf offers more than 40 wines, stored and served at the proper temperature, said Joe Brassard, vice president of operations. The restaurant also offers a variety of craft beers and selections from local breweries.
- The Whip (white blend), $36 (bottle), $12 (glass)
- Orin Swift Prisoner (red blend), $57 (bottle)
- 10 rotating craft beer selections, including brews from Southern Star Brewery and Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co.
Black Walnut Caf
9000 New Trails Drive, The Woodlands