The Project Connect planning team is hosting several open house events in May through the end of July to inform the public about its proposed urban rail route in downtown Austin.
The team's recommendation—unveiled May 2 during the Central Corridor Advisory Group meeting—is for a 9.5-mile urban rail route that would run on East Riverside Drive, Trinity Street in downtown Austin, San Jacinto Boulevard through The University of Texas, Airport Boulevard and end at Austin Community College's Highland campus.
The proposed plan would cost $1.4 billion, although the team made two smaller proposals at $990 million and $820 million during a May 16 CCAG meeting. CCAG members are advising Mayor Lee Leffingwell on the plan.
The Capital Metro board of directors will vote on the recommendation June 23, and City Council is scheduled to vote June 26. Both entities are involved in the planning. Capital Metro would serve as the operator, and the city would serve as the owner.
City Council likely will call a bond election for Nov. 4 to sell bonds to pay for half of the project.
The events are come and go, and staff will be present to answer questions. Attendees may also view maps of the project. For more information, visit www.projectconnect.com.
Open house events
- May 27: 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m., St. David's Episcopal Church, 301 E. Eighth St.
- June 7: 9 a.m.–1 p.m., Downtown Farmer's Market in Republic Square, 422 Guadalupe St.
- June 7: 1–5 p.m., Parque Zaragoza Recreation Center, 2608 Gonzales St.
- June 12: 5–8 p.m., Dove Springs Recreation Center, 5801 Ainez Drive
- June 14: 11 a.m.–3 p.m., Triangle Club Room at Main Office, 4600 W. Guadalupe St.
- June 22: 11 a.m.–3 p.m., South Lamar Farmers Market, 2323 S. Lamar Blvd.
- June 28, 11 a.m.–3 p.m., Microsoft Store at The Domain, 3309 Esperanza Crossing
- June 29: 10 a.m.–2 p.m., Mueller Farmers Market, 2007 Mueller Central Drive
- July 1: 5–8 p.m., Gus Garcia Recreation Center, 1201 E. Rundberg Lane
- July 12: 1–5 p.m., Circle C HOA Building, 7817 La Crosse Ave.
- July 19: 9 a.m.–1 p.m., Sunset Valley Farmers Market, 3200 Jones Road
- July 26: 9 a.m.–1 p.m., Barton Creek Mall Farmers Market, 2901 S. Capital of Texas Hwy.