Aside from showing some love to moms on Mothers Day, the weekend has a few other community events to check out in Pearland and Friendswood this weekend, May 11-13.
- Free breakfast: Farmers Insurance/Sally Mercer Agency, 5001 Broadway St., Pearland, is continuing its celebration for being in business 40 years with a free breakfast from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The agency is also taking non-perishable food donations for the Pearland Neighborhood Center. 281-485-2471. www.mercerinsuranceagency.com
- Check out chalk art: The Friends of Friendswood Downtown hosts its fourth annual Chalk Walk to raise funds for city art projects. Residents can walk and see artists work on their chalk art pieces at the corner of FM 518 and FM 2351 and visit nearby shops. 281-482-2202. http://chalkwalk.squarespace.com
- Youth Fishing Derby: Children age 16 and younger are welcome to compete at the derby. The participant who catches the biggest fish in each age bracket wins a prize. Contestants can register at the event, and no fishing license is required. 9 a.m.-noon. Free. Centennial Park pond, 2200 S. Friendswood Drive. 281-996-3220.
- Library launch: The newly renovated Tom Reid Library, 3522 Liberty Drive, Pearland, will celebrate its grand re-opening from 10 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. with activities throughout the day, including an appearance by Darth Vader. 281-652-1677. www.pearlandtx.gov/TRLopening
- Community street party: First Choice ER, 225 East Parkwood Drive, Friendswood, is hosting a community street party from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. with free food from the Eastsie Boys Food Truck, bounce houses, face painters, balloon artists and giveaways. 281-996-7350. www.fcer.com
- Visions of India: The Pearland Alliance for Arts & Culture will celebrate the first year of "Visions of India," a collection on loan from the Kannappan Art Museum of exquisite art and artifacts, from 3 to 5 p.m. at 2341 N. Galveston Avenue, Ste. 200, Pearland. 832-674-0722. www.pearlandalliance.org