Here’s what residents in Tomball and Magnolia should know this week as August begins.
1. One eastbound and westbound lane of FM 1488 between FM 1774 and Alford Road in Magnolia is closed daily from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. through Aug. 18, according to the Houston Tran Star database. One alternate lane is available for drivers.
2. The Greater Tomball Area Chamber of Commerce presents Tomball Night on Aug. 4 from 5-10 p.m. The 45th annual citywide festival features children’s activities, vendors, a parade, a fireworks display, a health expo and a car show. Local businesses are also open extended hours. The event—held at various locations throughout downtown Tomball—is free to attend. 866-670-7222. www.tomballchamber.org
3. Harris County Commissioners Court meets at 10 a.m. Aug. 1 in the Harris County Administration Building, located at 1001 Preston St., Houston. Review the agenda online.
5. TISD hosts its annual New Family Enrollment Night for families of students new to the district from 1-7 p.m. on Aug. 3 at Tomball Junior High School and Willow Wood Junior High School. More information about enrolling students in TISD is available online.
6. The Greater Magnolia Parkway Chamber of Commerce hosts an information-gathering meeting regarding the GMPCC Christmas Parade from 3-5 p.m. on Aug. 3 at 18935 FM 1488, Magnolia. 281-356-1488. www.greatermagnoliaparkwaycc.org