Railroads and oil booms attracted settlers to the Tomball and Magnolia area at the turn of the 20th century. From Tomball’s incorporation in 1933, the city has grown from more than 600 residents to more than 11,600 residents in 2018. Similarly, the city of Magnolia has grown to include more than 2,200 residents in 2018, according to U.S. Census Bureau data. In just more than 100 years, Tomball and Magnolia have gone from receiving electricity to becoming quickly-growing suburban communities. According to Lessie Upchurch’s “Welcome to Tomball,” Tomball received its first electric lights in 1913 and its first power line in 1928. Magnolia, however, did not receive electricity until late 1940, according to “Magnolia Memories” by Celeste Graves.

Traveling through time

The Tomball and Magnolia area is home to several historical markers awarded by the Texas Historical Commission. Check out a few of them.

History on display

Tomball Historic Depot Museum

Find an O-scale model railroad inside the railroad caboose and a tiny Z-scale model railroad inside the historic train Depot as well as a collection of railroad artifacts, art and train memorabilia inside the Depot Museum.

201 S. Elm St., Tomball



Magnolia Historic Depot Complex

The depot area features several buildings important to Magnolia’s history, including the Magnolia Depot Museum, the doctor’s office and barbershop of the late Dr. James Ware, an antique sawmill and a railroad caboose.

426 Melton St., Magnolia