RESULTS: Here's who will comprise the new Lone Star Groundwater Conservation District board

The Lone Star Groundwater Conservation District board of directors was elected for the first time this November.

The Lone Star Groundwater Conservation District board of directors was elected for the first time this November.

Updated Nov. 7, 12:20 a.m.

With all precincts reporting in Montgomery County, a new Lone Star Groundwater Conservation District board of directors is formed.

Jim Spigener takes the seat for Place 2 with 59 percent of the vote. For Place 3, voters cast 44.97 percent of ballots in support of Jon Paul Bouche. Additionally, Jonathan Prykryl and Harry Hardman have been elected to places 4 and 5 with 63.40 percent and 39.41 percent of the votes, respectively. Former Conroe Mayor Webb Melder takes Place 6 with 61.25 percent of the vote, and Larry Rogers takes Place 7 with 54.26 percent of the vote.

"The good people of Montgomery County have spoken...they have had enough of [San Jacinto River Authority and Lone Star Groundwater Conservation District] out-of-control style of government," Melder said on the night of the election. "This is how government should work....let the people vote. The newly-elected LSGCD Board has much work to do."

All results are unofficial until canvassed.

Posted 9:22 p.m.

For the first time voters in Montgomery County had the opportunity to vote for board members for the Lone Star Groundwater Conservation District in the Nov. 6 election. Early voting and absentee votes are in for Montgomery County. With no incumbents on the board, six of the seven positions are contested.

Place 1 is uncontested as Stuart Traylor is the sole candidate on the ballot. As for the others, Jim Spigener, Jon Paul Bouche, Jonathan Prykryl, Harry Hardman, Webb Melder and Larry A. Rogers are leading.

LSGCD was created in 2001 by the 77th Texas Legislature and was established to manage groundwater resources in the county. Prior to 2018 the district’s nine board members were appointed as representatives by various municipalities, according to the district.

Following the passage of House Bill 1982 by the Legislature last summer, the board will now include seven elected directors: four elected by voters in each precinct in Montgomery County, one elected by a countywide vote, one elected by residents of the city of Conroe and one elected by residents of The Woodlands Township, according to LSGCD.

Place 2 (Precinct 2)


According to early voting and absentee totals, Spigener is leading the race with 61.05 percent of the votes. During early voting 21,773 total votes were cast in the race. Opponent Garry Oakley received 38.95 percent of the vote, according to county election data.

Place 3 (Precinct 3)


Bouche is leading the race for Place 3 with 10,448 votes, or 48.09 percent, according to early voting totals from Montgomery County. Opponents Richard Rankel, Christina Moore and Rick Moffat received 6.32 percent, 26.76 percent and 18.82 percent of the vote, respectively, during early voting.

Place 4 (Precinct 4)


According to early voting totals, Prykryl is leading the race with 63.43 percent of the votes. During early voting 13,548 total votes were cast in the race. Opponent Gail Carney received 36.57 percent of the vote, according to county election data.

Place 5 (at large)


Hardman is leading the race for Place 5 with 31,209 votes, or 42.95 percent, according to early voting totals from Montgomery County. Opponents Gregg Hope and Francis J. Bourgeois received 35.59 percent and 21.46 percent of the vote, respectively, during early voting.

Place 6 (city of Conroe)


According to early voting totals, former Conroe Mayor Webb Melder is leading the race with 64.11 percent of the votes. During early voting, 9,156 total votes were cast in the race. Opponent Jackie Chance received 35.89 percent of the vote, according to county election data.

Place 7 (The Woodlands Township)


Larry A. Rogers is leading the race for Place 7 with 9,500 votes, or 55.95 percent, according to early voting totals from Montgomery County. Opponents Ken Maggart and Emery Gallagher received 26.85 percent and 17.2 percent of the vote, respectively, during early voting.

All results are unofficial until canvassed.
SHARE THIS STORY
By Anna Lotz

Anna joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in May 2016 after graduating with a degree in journalism from Cedarville University in Cedarville, Ohio. In July 2017, she transitioned to editor. Anna covers education, local government, transportation, business, real estate development and nonprofits in the Tomball and Magnolia communities. Prior to CI, Anna served as editor-in-chief of Cedars, interned with the National Journalism Center in Washington, D.C., and spent time writing for the Springfield News-Sun and Xenia Daily Gazette.


MOST RECENT

The Kingwood clinic opened in a new location Jan. 20 at 25553 Hwy. 59, Porter. (Courtesy Kelsey-Seybold Clinic Kingwood)
Kelsey-Seybold Kingwood clinic now open at new location

Kelsey-Seybold Clinic opened its Kingwood location Jan. 20 at 25553 Hwy. 59, Porter.

Rush Cycle opened a Kingwood location Jan. 13. (Courtesy Rush Cycle)
Rush Cycle offers full-body workouts from new Kingwood studio

Rush Cycle began hosting classes Jan. 13 for its soft opening at 300 Northpark Drive, Ste. 500, Kingwood

U.S. Rep. Kevin Brady, R-The Woodlands, speaks to students at Covenant Christian School. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
U.S. Rep. Kevin Brady and others celebrate Covenant Christian School's FEMA grant

The event saw representatives from the city of Conroe, Montgomery County, the Texas Legislature and more.

A Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County study on eliminating ride fares left both METRO board members and officials seemingly unconvinced of the likelihood of implementing it in Harris County. (Kelly Schafler/Community Impact Newspaper)
METRO board of directors say free fare 'not feasible' for transit authority

A METRO study on eliminating ride fares left board members and officials unconvinced of the likelihood of implementing it in Harris County.

The deadline to pay property taxes in Montgomery County is Jan. 31. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery County Tax Office to extend hours for property tax deadline

The deadline to pay property taxes in Montgomery County is Jan. 31.

Fiesta Azteca, a Mexican restaurant straddling Kingwood and Humble, had been open 15 years. (Kathleen Sison/Community Impact Newspaper)
Longtime Atascocita restaurant Fiesta Azteca closes after 15 years

Atascocita-area Mexican restaurant Fiesta Azteca closed in early January, according an "out of business" posting on the business' door.

(Jen Para/Community Impact Newspaper)
Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo concert tickets go on sale Jan. 16

Lower-level seating options are already very limited.

Humble ISD board trustees approved the 2020-21 calendar at the board meeting Jan. 14. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Humble ISD's 2020-21 academic calendar features extra holidays, early start date

For the second year in a row, a majority of Humble ISD residents showed support for an academic calendar featuring extra holidays in both for the 2020-21 year.

Texas oil and gas industry could see a major slowdown in 2020

The oil and natural gas industry paid a record-setting $16.3 billion in taxes and royalties to local governments and the state in 2019, the Texas Oil and Gas Association announced Tuesday.

HGA driver Derek King picks up a patient from David Wayne Hooks Memorial Airport in Spring before transporting her to the Texas Medical Center. (Courtesy Derek King)
Houston Ground Angels seeking volunteers to drive patients to Texas Medical Center

Houston Ground Angels is a nonprofit organization that provides transportation between local airports and the Texas Medical Center for patients with cancer and other life-threatening diseases and illnesses.

A San Jacinto River Authority-operated dam at Lake Conroe controls water releases. (Vanessa Holt/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery County commissioners join Conroe in opposing annual lowering of Lake Conroe


Montgomery County Commissioners Court approved a resolution 3-2 at its Jan. 14 meeting opposing the annual lowering of the level of Lake Conroe.

Montgomery County Commissioners Court met Jan. 14. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Montgomery County plans to buy building for traffic operations center

Montgomery County commissioners approved the $1.3 million purchase of a building for a building to house the county’s traffic operations department at its Jan. 14 meeting.

Back to top