The Fort Bend ISD board of trustees unanimously approved the instructional calendar for the 2020-21 school year at its Jan. 21 meeting.
The first day of school will be Aug. 12, and the school year will end on May 26, 2021, before Memorial Day. FBISD said next year’s calendar closely resembles the current school year’s calendar.
FBISD said in a news release that by starting school before the state-mandated fourth Monday in August, the district is able to better balance out the number of days in the fall and spring semesters. For the 2020-21 school year, the fall semester will be 84 days, and the spring semester will be 91 days.
In addition to six full professional development days prior to the start of the school year, the approved calendar has at least one full day of professional learning or a holiday every month. FBISD said these holidays will provide students and teachers needed breaks.
According to the district, the calendar was created with input from students, staff, teachers, principals, parents, the board and community members.
Here are key dates and holidays included in the approved calendar:
- Aug. 12: first day of classes, beginning of first semester and first nine weeks
- Sept. 7: Labor Day, no school
- Sept. 18: Elementary parent conferences, elementary early release
- Sept. 25: Fort Bend County Fair Day, no school
- Oct. 9: professional learning day, no school
- Oct. 30: no school
- Nov. 23-27: Thanksgiving break
- Dec. 17: middle school and high school early release
- Dec. 18: all grade levels early release, end of first semester and second nine weeks
- Dec. 21-Jan. 4: winter break
- Jan. 5: professional learning day, teacher work day, no school
- Jan. 18: Martin Luther King Jr. Day, no school
- Feb. 11: elementary parent conferences, elementary early release
- Feb. 12: professional learning day, no school
- Feb. 15: Presidents Day, no school
- March 15-19: spring break
- April 2: no school
- April 19: professional learning day, no school
- May 25: middle school and high school early release
- May 26: All grade levels early release, last day of school, end of second semester and fourth nine weeks
- TBD: graduation
The full school calendar as approved is available on the district’s website.