In addition to voting in Tuesday’s primary elections, citizens can engage in local governance by attending meetings this week as public officials convene in Sugar Land, Missouri City, Fort Bend ISD and Fort Bend County.
1. The Fort Bend ISD board of trustees hosts a literacy tour to promote reading at Burton Elementary School, beginning 5 p.m. at 1625 Hunters Green Lane, Fresno. Board members read to and speak with students to address their questions and concerns. The tour is followed by a workshop at 6 p.m. during which the board and staff will discuss construction of park facilities at Briargate Elementary School, 2014 bond program projects and potential new personnel hires for the 2018-19 school year.
2. Missouri City City Council meets 5:30 p.m. Monday at 1522 Texas Parkway, Missouri City for a special meeting, reviewing standards of coverage and staffing for the Fire and Rescue Services Department. A regular meeting takes place at 7 p.m., and city council will consider the development of a single family residential subdivision, new park equipment and creation of two reinvestment zones for tax abatement purposes.
3. Citizens may submit their votes for Democratic or Republic candidates during the primary elections Tuesday. Sample ballots, polling locations and identification requirements may be found online at the Fort Bend County Elections Department website.
4. The Fort Bend County Commissioners Court meets 1 p.m. at 401 Jackson Street, Richmond. Items on the agenda include taking action on agreements with Katy and Fulshear for construction work on Texas Heritage Parkway and with Richmond and Kendleton for Community Development Block Grant projects.
5. Sugar Land City Council convenes for a 4 p.m. workshop to discuss the city’s financial management policy statements Tuesday at 2700 Town Center Blvd. N., Sugar Land. A regular meeting follows at 5:30 p.m., and agenda items include appointing seven members to the First Colony Management District Board of Directors for four-year terms and conducting a public hearing for a self-storage facility to be located along Voss Road and Hwy. 6.