Home Studio 6 in Missouri City carries local, international finds

Maury Marlowe owns Home Studio 6 in Missouri City.  (Photos by Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Maury Marlowe owns Home Studio 6 in Missouri City. (Photos by Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)

Home Studio 6 is gearing up for the holiday season with fall and winter themed home decor and gift options.
Home Studio 6 carries a large selection of outdoor pottery and water features.
The store features furniture from Asia as well as work from local artists.
Maury Marlowe transformed an old Missouri City house off Hwy. 6 into Home Studio 6. (Photos by Claire Shoop)
Marlowe's store features furniture from Southeast Asia as well as work from local artisans.
Marlowe said many customers regularly come in to buy the local honey he carries.
When Maury Marlowe opened Home Studio 6 in Missouri City, he had no idea his home decor and gift store would have to weather a pandemic in its first year.

Nestled off Hwy. 6 in Missouri City, Home Studio 6 is located in a house Marlowe believes was built in about 1895. Now, the old-house-turned-shop is a showroom for a wide range of eclectic furniture, jewelry, woodworking, textiles, art and candles.

“It’s a handcrafted look that we’re trying to strive for,” Marlowe said. “These are handmade, one-of-a-kind designs that most people don’t even really know are out there. It creates a unique kind of mysterious shop for people—you never know what you’re going to find next week.”

Filling the rooms of the house is furniture Marlowe selects from India and Indonesia. Marlowe, who spent 30 years traveling through Southeast Asia as a product developer and designer, said he chooses pieces with reclaimed elements and distinct motifs.

Currently, Marlowe is partnering with 27 local artists and artisans. Home Studio 6 displays their work and products, and Marlowe and the artist share a percentage of the sale.

With craft shows and other venues closing because of the coronavirus pandemic, Marlowe said additional artists have been interested in partnering with the store. Marlowe said he is open to working with anyone.

“I don’t say no to anybody,” he said. “Everybody deserves a chance. Put it out there; if people like it and they buy it, then it’s good for everybody.”

Marlowe said the unknowns posed by the coronavirus pandemic have made it a scary time to be in business. However, because the store features home goods and outdoor products—such as pottery and fountains—they were able to cater to people wanting to work in their homes and yards.

“People were still looking to work in their yards and work in their homes, so we had the niche for that,” Marlowe said. “But it’s still slower than it had been.”

As he looks forward to Christmas and the holiday season, Marlowe said he hopes to see an uptick in customers who are enticed by the store’s unique offerings.

“The people that have been coming in the past couple of weeks ... say, ‘You have such good stuff. I’m coming here for my Christmas shopping. I’d rather spend money here,’” Marlowe said.

Home Studio 6

6726 Hwy. 6, Missouri City

713-504-3184

www.homestudio6.com

Hours: Tue.-Sun. 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m., closed Mon.
By Claire Shoop
Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

Right Mentality offers individual, couples and family counseling to assist with depression, anxiety, trauma, anger management and substance use. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Right Mentality Mental Health and Wellness provides therapy at new Sugar Land location

The practice offers individual, couples and family counseling to assist with depression, anxiety, trauma, anger management and substance use.

The program, which began this week in San Marcos, gives Amazon and Whole Foods employees and contractors direct access to COVID-19 vaccinations. (Courtesy Amazon)
Amazon begins rollout of statewide vaccination clinics for employees

The program, which began this week in San Marcos, gives Amazon and Whole Foods employees and contractors direct access to COVID-19 vaccinations.

Memorial Hermann is hosting a drive-thru vaccine clinic at the Smart Financial Center in Sugar Land April 15-16. (Community Impact Newspaper)
Walk-ins welcome at COVID-19 vaccine clinic April 15-16 at Smart Financial Center

Haven't recieved the COVID-19 vaccine yet? Memorial Hermann is hosting a drive-thru clinic from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. in Sugar Land. No appointment necessary.

Federal funding is set aside for public schools to address effects of the pandemic. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Why Texas has not yet distributed $18 billion in federal funds intended for public schools

As budget decisions loom for school districts across Texas, state leaders are holding on to federal funds intended for public schools to use in addressing the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Homes priced above $750,000, such as this one in the Heights, saw a surge in sales in March, with almost twice as many properties sold. (Courtesy Houston Association of Realtors)
Average Houston single-family home price jumps 20% in March

The average sale price for a home in March was $370,847.

The proposed change would have moved all city employees except the city manager from a minimum-median-maximum to a defined pay progression plan. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Missouri City City Council rejects proposed change to municipal employees' pay plan

The proposed change would have moved all city employees except the city manager from a minimum-median-maximum to a defined pay progression plan.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas said power outages are not expected April 13, while requesting energy conservation. (Iain Oldman/Community Impact Newspaper)
UPDATE: ERCOT call for energy conservation ends April 13 without need for power outages

An ERCOT official said "tight" supply and demand conditions arose on the state's electric grid April 13 due to forecasting issues amid planned, seasonal maintenance outages by some power generators.

Missouri City staff said a bond election is necessary to fund projects related to transportaion, parks and recreation, and facilities over the next five years. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Missouri City City Council begins process of calling November bond election

City staff said a bond election is necessary to fund projects related to transportaion, parks and recreation, and facilities over the next five years.

Fort Bend County's Mobile Health Unit will administer vaccinations in portions of the county that are economically disadvantaged or lack access to transportation, said County Judge KP George. (Screenshot courtesy Fort Bend County)
Fort Bend County to administer COVID-19 vaccinations from new Mobile Health Unit

Fort Bend County's Mobile Health Unit will administer vaccinations in portions of the county that are economically disadvantaged or lack access to transportation, County Judge KP George said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommended health providers pause distribution of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine April 13. (Olivia Aldridge/Community Impact Newspaper)
State, federal health authorities recommend pause of Johnson & Johnson vaccine after 6 rare, severe blood clots

Hub providers in Dallas, Harris and Travis counties have all announced they will follow the recommendations and pause distribution of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

Costco Business Centers, of which there are only about 15 in the country, carry different products and provide a different shopping experience to members than do traditional Costco Wholesale stores. (Courtesy Costco Wholesale)
First Houston-area Costco Business Center under construction at The Grid in Stafford

Costco Business Centers, of which there are only about 15 in the country, carry different products and provide a different shopping experience to members than do traditional Costco Wholesale stores.

Uncorked: Daiquiris & More makes drinks in flavors such as peach, strawberry and pina colada, which can be enjoyed at the daiquiri bar or be ordered to go. (Courtesy Pexels)
Uncorked: Daiquiris & More brings frozen, mixed alcoholic drinks to Missouri City

The drinks come in flavors such as peach, strawberry and pina colada, and can be enjoyed at the daiquiri bar or be made to go.