Home Studio 6 in Missouri City carries local, international finds

Maury Marlowe owns Home Studio 6 in Missouri City.  (Photos by Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Maury Marlowe owns Home Studio 6 in Missouri City. (Photos by Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)

Home Studio 6 is gearing up for the holiday season with fall and winter themed home decor and gift options.
Home Studio 6 carries a large selection of outdoor pottery and water features.
The store features furniture from Asia as well as work from local artists.
Maury Marlowe transformed an old Missouri City house off Hwy. 6 into Home Studio 6. (Photos by Claire Shoop)
Marlowe's store features furniture from Southeast Asia as well as work from local artisans.
Marlowe said many customers regularly come in to buy the local honey he carries.
When Maury Marlowe opened Home Studio 6 in Missouri City, he had no idea his home decor and gift store would have to weather a pandemic in its first year.

Nestled off Hwy. 6 in Missouri City, Home Studio 6 is located in a house Marlowe believes was built in about 1895. Now, the old-house-turned-shop is a showroom for a wide range of eclectic furniture, jewelry, woodworking, textiles, art and candles.

“It’s a handcrafted look that we’re trying to strive for,” Marlowe said. “These are handmade, one-of-a-kind designs that most people don’t even really know are out there. It creates a unique kind of mysterious shop for people—you never know what you’re going to find next week.”

Filling the rooms of the house is furniture Marlowe selects from India and Indonesia. Marlowe, who spent 30 years traveling through Southeast Asia as a product developer and designer, said he chooses pieces with reclaimed elements and distinct motifs.

Currently, Marlowe is partnering with 27 local artists and artisans. Home Studio 6 displays their work and products, and Marlowe and the artist share a percentage of the sale.

With craft shows and other venues closing because of the coronavirus pandemic, Marlowe said additional artists have been interested in partnering with the store. Marlowe said he is open to working with anyone.

“I don’t say no to anybody,” he said. “Everybody deserves a chance. Put it out there; if people like it and they buy it, then it’s good for everybody.”

Marlowe said the unknowns posed by the coronavirus pandemic have made it a scary time to be in business. However, because the store features home goods and outdoor products—such as pottery and fountains—they were able to cater to people wanting to work in their homes and yards.

“People were still looking to work in their yards and work in their homes, so we had the niche for that,” Marlowe said. “But it’s still slower than it had been.”

As he looks forward to Christmas and the holiday season, Marlowe said he hopes to see an uptick in customers who are enticed by the store’s unique offerings.

“The people that have been coming in the past couple of weeks ... say, ‘You have such good stuff. I’m coming here for my Christmas shopping. I’d rather spend money here,’” Marlowe said.

Home Studio 6

6726 Hwy. 6, Missouri City

713-504-3184

www.homestudio6.com

Hours: Tue.-Sun. 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m., closed Mon.
By Claire Shoop
Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

Bocca Italian Kitchen serves seasonal, Italian-inspired dishes, such as polenta and various pastas. (Courtesy Marco Torres)
Italian eateries open in Generation Park; Houston bike lane fines enforced and more local news

Read the latest business and community news from the Houston area.

The Coalition to Combat Human Trafficking in Texas promotes public services announcements to help raise awareness about human trafficking and how to get help. (Courtesy The Coalition to Combat Human Trafficking in Texas)
New sheriff: Human trafficking is ‘another pandemic’ facing Fort Bend County

Combating human trafficking is a top priority for newly elected Fort Bend County Sheriff Eric Fagan.

Here are the latest coronavirus case count updates in Fort Bend County. (Community Impact staff)
Fort Bend County totals 2,886 new coronavirus cases Jan. 8-14; active cases increase by 1,000

Here are the latest coronavirus case count and hospitalization updates in Fort Bend County.

Amid remote learning and the stress of the coronavirus pandemic, FBISD saw 21% of students fail at least one class in Term 1 of the 2020-21 school year. (Courtesy Fort Bend ISD/Community Impact Newspaper)
With more failing students in the first nine weeks, Fort Bend ISD looks for second-semester solutions

Amid remote learning and the stress of the coronavirus pandemic, FBISD saw 21% of students fail at least one class in Term 1 of the 2020-21 school year.

Crews are working to expand Hwy. 6 through Sugar Land. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Hwy. 6 expansion in Sugar Land to bring increased mobility to area once completed

The expansion—which began nearly two years ago—is expected to be completed in March.

Discover the latest U.S. Census statistics for Missouri City on population, demographics, education and employment. (Community Impact staff)
Missouri City sees steady population growth, slight increase in median household income from 2014-19

Discover the latest U.S. Census statistics for Missouri City on population, demographics, education and employment.

La Cocina de Roberto launched its second eatery in The Woodlands area in January. (Courtesy La Cocina de Roberto)
La Cocina de Roberto restaurant opens in The Woodlands and more Houston-area news

Read the latest business and community news from the Greater Houston area.

Check out the latest U.S. Census statistics for Sugar Land on population, demographic, education and employment. (Community Impact staff)
Population up 44.03% in Sugar Land from 2014-19; median household income also increases

Check out the latest U.S. Census statistics for Sugar Land on population, demographic, education and employment.

From Jan. 19-29, Coalition for the Homeless and staff from The Way Home will conduct the 2021 Homeless Count & Survey, in which they will work to identify sheltered and unsheltered people experiencing homelessness across Harris, Fort Bend and Montgomery counties. (Adobe Stock)
Coalition for the Homeless, The Way Home to conduct annual Greater Houston-area homeless count Jan. 19-29

The results of the 2021 homeless count and survey are expected to be released to the public this spring.

Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts Glenn Hegar shared a new revenue estimate for the 2022-23 biennium Jan. 11. (Courtesy Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts)
Comptroller projects drop in state revenue, potential for economic uptick for next biennium

Despite the slight reduction in expected revenue for the state's 2022-23 budget, recovery could be on the horizon.

This will be the 43rd annual event known as the nation’s original MLK Day parade sanctioned by Martin Luther King Sr. in 1978. (Courtesy Black Heritage Society)
Houston’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade goes virtual for 2021 event

This will be the 43rd annual event known as the nation’s original MLK Day parade sanctioned by Martin Luther King Sr. in 1978.

If City Council approves, voters would choose whether to adopt the charter amendments during a May 1 special election. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Missouri City City Council moves forward with proposed May charter amendment election

Two proposed changes to the Missouri City charter would extend the terms of elected officials from two to four years and limit the number of years an individual can serve on council to twelve consecutive years.