Things to do in Sugar Land and Missouri City in January

Dad & Daughter Dance 
Courtesy city of Missouri City
Dad & Daughter Dance Courtesy city of Missouri City

Sugar Land Home & Outdoor Living Show Courtesy Texwood Shows Inc.
Get back into the swing of things after the holiday season with some of these local events.

January

11: View student art

Fort Bend ISD’s Rodeo Art Show will feature artwork from students of all ages. The event, presented by the district’s department of fine arts, is held in conjunction with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. 2-4 p.m. Free. Sartartia Middle School, 8125 Homeward Way, Sugar Land. 281-634-1000. www.fortbendisd.com

11: Meet a local author

Galveston-based author Ann Weisgarber will discuss her latest novel, “The Glovemaker,” at the University Branch Library. “The Glovemaker” came out in February 2019 and is set in 1888 Utah. Weisgarber is also the author of “The Personal History of Rachel DuPree” and “The Promise.” 2-4 p.m. Free. 14010 University Blvd., Sugar Land. 281-633-5100. www.fortbend.lib.tx.us

15: See SEVENTEEN perform

The South Korean K-pop boy band Seventeen will perform at the Smart Financial Centre as part of the eight-city North America leg of their “Ode to You” world tour. 8 p.m. $55+. 18111 Lexington Blvd., Sugar Land. 281-207-6278. www.smartfinancialcentre.net

18: Go to a fundraising gala

The Houston International Jaycees will host its 35th Anniversary Inaugural Gala at the Houston Museum of Natural Science-Sugar Land. The gala’s theme is “Infinity & Beyond,” and proceeds will benefit the organization. The event will celebrate the Jaycees’ 2019 achievements and introduce the 2020 board. 6:30-10 p.m. $35 (children), $75 (members), $85 (nonmembers). 13016 University Blvd., Sugar Land. www.jcihoustonintl.org

24: Hear from Sugar Land leaders

Sugar Land’s annual State of the City address will include a presentation on the city’s accomplishments in 2019 and a preview of its plans for 2020. 7:30-9 a.m. $45 (members), $50 (nonmembers). Sugar Land Marriott, 16090 City Walk, Sugar Land. 281-275-2700. www.sugarlandtx.gov

25: The theme for Missouri City’s 24th annual Dad & Daughter Dance is “Frozen Fairy Tale.” The event, held at the Community Center, will include dinner, dancing and making memories as a family. 6-8:30 p.m. $30 (father/daughter pair), $20 (each additional daughter). 1522 Texas Parkway, Missouri City. 281-403-8637. www.missouricitytx.gov

25-26: The two-day Sugar Land Home & Outdoor Living Show will feature a number of vendors, speakers and workshops on everything from organization to gardening to decor. 9 a.m.-6 p.m. (Sat.), 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. (Sun.). Free (children 12 and under), $9 (seniors), $10 (adults). Stafford Centre, 10505 Cash Road, Stafford. 832-274-3944. www.texwoodshows.com

31: Attend a rock gala

The Fort Bend County Chamber of Commerce will host the 2020 Fort Bend Chamber Chairman’s Gala at Safari Texas Ranch. The theme for this year’s event is “FBCC Highway to Fort Bend,” and guests are encouraged to dress up like heavy metal rock stars. 6 p.m.-midnight. $100 (individual). 11627 FM 1464, Richmond. 281-566-2161. www.fortbendchamber.com
By Claire Shoop
Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

Sugar Land is asking residents to help make masks for essential city employees. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
City of Sugar Land puts out plea for community members to donate homemade masks

The city asks for the donated cloth masks to be made according to the CDC's guidlines.

Many churches in the Sugar Land and Missouri City area have moved worship services online this Easter weekend. (Courtesy Pexels)
GUIDE: 18 Sugar Land, Missouri City churches live streaming Easter services this weekend

This is a noncomprehensive guide to local churches offering services online this Easter.

Affordable Counseling Collaborative Associates offers various kinds of therapy, including family and child therapy. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Houston-based Affordable Counseling Collaborative Associates offers online counseling during coronavirus outbreak

“We don’t come at them like, ‘We’re gonna tell you how to live your life,’” therapist Tracy Morris said. “It’s far more about helping them find the strength even when they feel like they don’t have any.”

Fort Bend County DA's office: Increased domestic violence 'collateral consequence' of coronavirus pandemic

This March, the DA's office is reporting a 50% increase in domestic violence cases over last March.

Severe thunderstorms are possible in Sugar Land and Missouri City Thursday afternoon and evening, according to the National Weather Service. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Fort Bend ISD will halt device distribution at 2 p.m. April 9 due to thunderstorm forecasts

Severe thunderstorms are possible in Sugar Land and Missouri City in the afternoon and evening of April 9, according to the National Weather Service.

Parks and trails will be closed from 8 p.m. April 9 through 8 a.m. April 13. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Missouri City parks close for Easter weekend; Sugar Land’s remain open

Missouri City parks will be closed in an effort to limit large gatherings and slow the spread of the coronavirus, officials said in a news release.

The Texas Workforce Commission's phone and online systems have been overwhelmed as measures to slow the spread of the coronavirus continue to have a crippling effect on the economy. (Jack Flagler/Community Impact Newspaper)
More Texans have filed for unemployment in past three weeks than in all of 2019

For the second week in a row, more than 6 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits, according to federal data.

Hospitals in the Greater Houston area are adapting to accommodate a surge of coronavirus cases. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Report offers first glimpse at hospital readiness across Houston area

Hospitals within the Texas Medical Center system in the Greater Houston area have plans in place to increase the number of ICU beds available by as much as 80%.

Dr. Campbell talks about the effect of the coronavirus on mental health.(Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Q&A: Kelsey-Seybold doctor talks about mental health amid the coronavirus pandemic

Dr. Stefanie Campbell discusses the coronavirus’ effect on mental illness.

Texas Central claims the $12 billion construction process would be privately funded, and the train would transport 6 million annual riders by 2029. (Courtesy Texas Central Partners/Community Impact Newspaper)
State legislators request federal officials halt activity on Texas Central's high-speed rail project

Dozens of elected officials representing Texas requested the U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao put an end to activity related to Texas Central’s high-speed rail project between Dallas and Houston.

Fort Bend County Commissioners Court approved three grant applications related to the coronavirus pandemic at a regular April 8 meeting. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Fort Bend County applies for veteran, grocery grants to help residents during COVID-19

Commissioners also approved a grant application for funds to provide additional staffing for testing patients and collecting data about the coronavirus cases.

Sheena Abraham, the director of advancement at Second Mile, spoke with Community Impact Newspaper about how the nonprofit is continuing to serve the community.
Second Mile Mission Center in Missouri City sees sharp increase in demand for food pantry services

Amid the coronavirus pandemic, Second Mile is providing food to 500-700 families any day the nonprofit is open.