Things to do in Sugar Land and Missouri City in January

Dad & Daughter Dance 
Courtesy city of Missouri City
Dad & Daughter Dance Courtesy city of Missouri City

Sugar Land Home & Outdoor Living Show Courtesy Texwood Shows Inc.
Get back into the swing of things after the holiday season with some of these local events.

January

11: View student art

Fort Bend ISD’s Rodeo Art Show will feature artwork from students of all ages. The event, presented by the district’s department of fine arts, is held in conjunction with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. 2-4 p.m. Free. Sartartia Middle School, 8125 Homeward Way, Sugar Land. 281-634-1000. www.fortbendisd.com

11: Meet a local author

Galveston-based author Ann Weisgarber will discuss her latest novel, “The Glovemaker,” at the University Branch Library. “The Glovemaker” came out in February 2019 and is set in 1888 Utah. Weisgarber is also the author of “The Personal History of Rachel DuPree” and “The Promise.” 2-4 p.m. Free. 14010 University Blvd., Sugar Land. 281-633-5100. www.fortbend.lib.tx.us

15: See SEVENTEEN perform

The South Korean K-pop boy band Seventeen will perform at the Smart Financial Centre as part of the eight-city North America leg of their “Ode to You” world tour. 8 p.m. $55+. 18111 Lexington Blvd., Sugar Land. 281-207-6278. www.smartfinancialcentre.net

18: Go to a fundraising gala

The Houston International Jaycees will host its 35th Anniversary Inaugural Gala at the Houston Museum of Natural Science-Sugar Land. The gala’s theme is “Infinity & Beyond,” and proceeds will benefit the organization. The event will celebrate the Jaycees’ 2019 achievements and introduce the 2020 board. 6:30-10 p.m. $35 (children), $75 (members), $85 (nonmembers). 13016 University Blvd., Sugar Land. www.jcihoustonintl.org

24: Hear from Sugar Land leaders

Sugar Land’s annual State of the City address will include a presentation on the city’s accomplishments in 2019 and a preview of its plans for 2020. 7:30-9 a.m. $45 (members), $50 (nonmembers). Sugar Land Marriott, 16090 City Walk, Sugar Land. 281-275-2700. www.sugarlandtx.gov

25: The theme for Missouri City’s 24th annual Dad & Daughter Dance is “Frozen Fairy Tale.” The event, held at the Community Center, will include dinner, dancing and making memories as a family. 6-8:30 p.m. $30 (father/daughter pair), $20 (each additional daughter). 1522 Texas Parkway, Missouri City. 281-403-8637. www.missouricitytx.gov

25-26: The two-day Sugar Land Home & Outdoor Living Show will feature a number of vendors, speakers and workshops on everything from organization to gardening to decor. 9 a.m.-6 p.m. (Sat.), 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. (Sun.). Free (children 12 and under), $9 (seniors), $10 (adults). Stafford Centre, 10505 Cash Road, Stafford. 832-274-3944. www.texwoodshows.com

31: Attend a rock gala

The Fort Bend County Chamber of Commerce will host the 2020 Fort Bend Chamber Chairman’s Gala at Safari Texas Ranch. The theme for this year’s event is “FBCC Highway to Fort Bend,” and guests are encouraged to dress up like heavy metal rock stars. 6 p.m.-midnight. $100 (individual). 11627 FM 1464, Richmond. 281-566-2161. www.fortbendchamber.com
SHARE THIS STORY
By Claire Shoop

Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

BREAKING: Explosion at industrial site on Gessner Road prompts investigation, CFISD school closures

An explosion took place at around 4:20 a.m. this morning at a business in the 4500 block of Gessner Road, north of Clay Road in northwest Houston.

Scholars and Scoundrels Bar & Grill now open in Sugar Land

After some delays, the restaurant opened Jan. 22.

FBISD trustees approved the 2020-21 calendar at the Jan. 21 meeting. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Key dates to know: Fort Bend ISD approves 2020-21 school calendar

The calendar was created with input from students, staff, teachers, principals, parents, the school board and community members.

Sahana Gade, a sixth-grade Fort Bend ISD student, appeared on season 8 of "Kids Baking Championship." (Courtesy Sudhaa Gade/Food Network Channel)
Fort Bend ISD student Sahana Gade competes on season 8 of 'Kids Baking Championship'

“My time on the show was a very wonderful time,” Gade said during the Jan. 21 Sugar Land City Council meeting.

From left: Harvest Green General Manager Jerry Ulke; Messina Hof founders Paul and Merrill Bonarrigo; current owners Paul M. and Karen Bonarrigo; Doug Goff with Johnson Development, the developer of Harvest Green; Harvest Green Development Manager David Hogue; and Harvest Green Marketing Director Haley Peck were in attendance at the ceremonial groundbreaking of the Messina Hof Harvest Green Winery and Kitchen. (Courtesy Messina Hof)
Messina Hof breaks ground on Harvest Green location

Messina Hof Harvest Green Winery and Kitchen held its groundbreaking ceremony Jan. 20.

Fort Bend ISD's Malala Elementary School is located at 11770 W. Aliana Trace Drive in Richmond. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Fort Bend ISD's 51st elementary school welcomes students after winter break

The building is named after Malala Yousafzai, a Noble Peace Prize recipient and Pakistani advocate for women’s education.

CVS said its new HealthHub concept will open at the Lexington location in Sugar Land this month. (Courtesy CVS Health)
CVS Health debuts new HealthHub concept at Sugar Land location

CVS HealthHubs will offer a wider range of health care services than traditional CVS pharmacies.

Sugar Land's Pier 1 Imports to remain open amid companywide closures

Pier 1 Imports announced eariler this month that it will be closing up to 450 stores.

Several Fort Bend ISD schools are performing their spring musicals in January. (Courtesy Pexels)
9 Fort Bend high school musicals to see in January and February

Local high schools have performances Jan. 16-Feb. 1.

Edward Jones financial advisor Gabriel Trevino moving to the Crossing at Telfair

Trevino's current office is located on Sweetwater Boulevard.

A Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County study on eliminating ride fares left both METRO board members and officials seemingly unconvinced of the likelihood of implementing it in Harris County. (Kelly Schafler/Community Impact Newspaper)
METRO board of directors say free fare 'not feasible' for transit authority

A METRO study on eliminating ride fares left board members and officials unconvinced of the likelihood of implementing it in Harris County.

Back to top