Things to do in Sugar Land and Missouri City in January

Dad & Daughter Dance 
Courtesy city of Missouri City
Dad & Daughter Dance Courtesy city of Missouri City

Sugar Land Home & Outdoor Living Show Courtesy Texwood Shows Inc.
Get back into the swing of things after the holiday season with some of these local events.

January

11: View student art

Fort Bend ISD’s Rodeo Art Show will feature artwork from students of all ages. The event, presented by the district’s department of fine arts, is held in conjunction with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. 2-4 p.m. Free. Sartartia Middle School, 8125 Homeward Way, Sugar Land. 281-634-1000. www.fortbendisd.com

11: Meet a local author

Galveston-based author Ann Weisgarber will discuss her latest novel, “The Glovemaker,” at the University Branch Library. “The Glovemaker” came out in February 2019 and is set in 1888 Utah. Weisgarber is also the author of “The Personal History of Rachel DuPree” and “The Promise.” 2-4 p.m. Free. 14010 University Blvd., Sugar Land. 281-633-5100. www.fortbend.lib.tx.us

15: See SEVENTEEN perform

The South Korean K-pop boy band Seventeen will perform at the Smart Financial Centre as part of the eight-city North America leg of their “Ode to You” world tour. 8 p.m. $55+. 18111 Lexington Blvd., Sugar Land. 281-207-6278. www.smartfinancialcentre.net

18: Go to a fundraising gala

The Houston International Jaycees will host its 35th Anniversary Inaugural Gala at the Houston Museum of Natural Science-Sugar Land. The gala’s theme is “Infinity & Beyond,” and proceeds will benefit the organization. The event will celebrate the Jaycees’ 2019 achievements and introduce the 2020 board. 6:30-10 p.m. $35 (children), $75 (members), $85 (nonmembers). 13016 University Blvd., Sugar Land. www.jcihoustonintl.org

24: Hear from Sugar Land leaders

Sugar Land’s annual State of the City address will include a presentation on the city’s accomplishments in 2019 and a preview of its plans for 2020. 7:30-9 a.m. $45 (members), $50 (nonmembers). Sugar Land Marriott, 16090 City Walk, Sugar Land. 281-275-2700. www.sugarlandtx.gov

25: The theme for Missouri City’s 24th annual Dad & Daughter Dance is “Frozen Fairy Tale.” The event, held at the Community Center, will include dinner, dancing and making memories as a family. 6-8:30 p.m. $30 (father/daughter pair), $20 (each additional daughter). 1522 Texas Parkway, Missouri City. 281-403-8637. www.missouricitytx.gov

25-26: The two-day Sugar Land Home & Outdoor Living Show will feature a number of vendors, speakers and workshops on everything from organization to gardening to decor. 9 a.m.-6 p.m. (Sat.), 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. (Sun.). Free (children 12 and under), $9 (seniors), $10 (adults). Stafford Centre, 10505 Cash Road, Stafford. 832-274-3944. www.texwoodshows.com

31: Attend a rock gala

The Fort Bend County Chamber of Commerce will host the 2020 Fort Bend Chamber Chairman’s Gala at Safari Texas Ranch. The theme for this year’s event is “FBCC Highway to Fort Bend,” and guests are encouraged to dress up like heavy metal rock stars. 6 p.m.-midnight. $100 (individual). 11627 FM 1464, Richmond. 281-566-2161. www.fortbendchamber.com
By Claire Shoop

Reporter, Sugar Land/Missouri City

Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

group of peope holding up beers
4 Sugar Land and Missouri City events to attend this weekend, Sept. 17-19

List of events in Sugar Land and Missouri City for this weekend

Texas-wide public charter school system Harmony Public Schools will offer a full virtual learning option for eligible students. (Courtesy Harmony Public Schools)
Harmony Public Schools will offer virtual learning for K-12 students in Houston, Katy, Sugar Land, Cypress

Schools under the Harmony Public Schools umbrella may offer up to 10% of its student body a full virtual learning option.

The Texas Department of Transportation is planning to install medians along 5.8 miles of FM 1092 from Hwy. 59 to Hwy. 6 in Missouri City. (Courtesy Fotolia)
As FM 1092 median project goes out to bid, some Missouri City Council Members still object

Construction on the project to install medians on FM 1092—also known as Murphy Road—is expected to begin in the winter and last for seven months, according to officials with TxDOT.

Normal school operations will resume at Fort Bend ISD's Fort Settlement Middle School after power was restored to the campus. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
UPDATE: Fort Bend ISD's Fort Settlement Middle School to reopen Sept. 17 following Hurricane Nicholas

Normal school operations will resume at Fort Bend ISD's Fort Settlement Middle School after power was restored to the campus.

Formerly known as Vision Source, optometrist Anh Doan continues to serve patients at Memorial Eye Center - Missouri City. (Amanda Feldott/Community Impact Newspaper)
Missouri City optometrist rebrands as Memorial Eye Center

Formerly known as Vision Source, optometrist Anh Doan continues to serve patients at Memorial Eye Center - Missouri City.

The majority of departments saw either no change or increases to their budgets. (Community Impact Staff)
Fort Bend County adopts $439M budget with new tax rate

The new Fort Bend County tax rate is $0.4383.

Located outside the Missouri City Community Center, "3 Musicians" is a sculpture by David Adickes, whose work includes the Sam Houston statue on I-45 near Huntsville. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Missouri City launches public art program to reflect city’s values, improve quality of life

As more cities embrace public art as a way to reflect history and culture, Missouri City approved creating a formal Art in Public Places Program in May. The initiative aims to beautify the city and enhance residents’ quality of life, officials said.

The seven schools that will remain closed Sept. 15 were effected by power outages caused during the storm. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Fort Bend ISD closes 7 campuses Sept. 15 due to power outages from Hurricane Nicholas

The seven schools that will remain closed Sept. 15 were effected by power outages caused during the storm.

At 2,011 square feet, and with three bedrooms and two bathrooms, 1007 Laurel Green Road sold for between $250,001-$285,000 on July 15. (Courtesy Houston Association of Realtors)
DATA: Sugar Land, Missouri City see higher home prices, fewer houses sold year over year in July

Check out the latest real estate trends for Sugar Land and Missouri City, plus learn more about Missouri City's Lexington Colony neighborhood.

Father and son Bill and Jared Jameson are partners at WJ Interests LLC. (Courtesy WJ Interests LLC)
Sugar Land financial adviser WJ Interests LLC celebrates 25th anniversary

For the past 25 years, WJ Interests LLC has provided individuals, families and businesses wealth and investment management services.

At a 9:30 a.m. press conference Sept. 14, Fort Bend County Judge KP George said the effects of Hurricane Nicholas on the county were relatively minimum. (Screenshot courtesy Fort Bend County)
Fort Bend County reports no high water, some debris and power outages following Hurricane Nicholas

At a 9:30 a.m. press conference Sept. 14, Fort Bend County Judge KP George said the effects of Hurricane Nicholas on the county were relatively minimum.

Shelters around Houston opened to help those affected by Hurricane Nicholas on Sept. 14. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Shelters open to aid those affected by Hurricane Nicholas

Shelters have been opened by the American Red Cross to help those in need following the storm.