Wendy's now open in The Village at Riverstone in Sugar Land

A Wendy’s location opened Nov. 11 at 18911 University Blvd., Sugar Land, in The Village at Riverstone shopping center. The fast-food chain is known for its hamburgers, Frostys, chilis and potatoes. Wendy’s has dozens of other area locations. 346-279-0204. www.wendys.com
By Claire Shoop
Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

Here are the latest coronavirus updates from Fort Bend County. (Community Impact staff)
With 131 new coronavirus cases reported July 2, Fort Bend County nears 4,000th case

Heading into the Fourth of July holiday weekend, Fort Bend County has seen a total of 3,999 coronavirus cases.

Houston fireworks display
Here’s how to celebrate Fourth of July across the Greater Houston area

Several Houston-area cities are still planning fireworks shows with drive-in or virtual components this Fourth of July.

Fort Bend ISD Superintendent Charles Dupre shared survey results and provided an update on the district's planning efforts for next school year during a virtual town hall July 1. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Fort Bend ISD shares survey results, latest plans for 2020-21 school year during July 1 town hall

Of the 18,000 parents who responded to a Fort Bend ISD survey, 43% said they were very comfortable or somewhat comfortable sending their children back to school for the 2020-21 school year.

Gov. Greg Abbott
Gov. Greg Abbott: Texans must wear masks in public starting July 3

"COVID-19 is not going away," Gov. Abbott said. "In fact, it is getting worse."

The Kemah Boardwalk will be open Fourth of July weekend. (Courtesy Kemah Boardwalk)
3 Houston-area amusement properties will be open Fourth of July weekend

The Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier and Downtown Aquarium Houston are offering a joint weekend adventure pass for $29.99.

Episcopal Health Foundation
Survey: Texans support emphasis on improving economy, safety, pollution to address overall health

“COVID-19 is clearly showing what Texans already know: the state needs to address underlying, non-medical conditions that have a dramatic impact on their health,” Episcopal Health Foundation President and CEO Elena Marks said.

BlendIn Coffee Club
Sugar Land-based BlendIn Coffee Club charts new Allen Parkway location

Sugar Land-based BlendIn Coffee Club has its eyes on a new Inner Loop location and has filed permits for renovation of a space across the street from the new Stages theater.

Here is the latest coronavirus hospitalization and new case data from Fort Bend County. (Community Impact staff)
Fort Bend County hospitals are treating 234 coronavirus patients—a record high since the pandemic began

Of the 234 people being treated for the coronavirus in Fort Bend County hospitals, 51 are in the ICU.

The City of Galveston has decided to close all beaches for the 4th of July weekend. (Hannah Zedaker/Community Impact Newspaper)
Galveston closes beaches for Fourth of July weekend

The beaches will be closed from 5 a.m July 3 until 12:01 a.m. July 6. No cars will be allowed to park on Seawall Boulevard during this time.

Texas Medical Center entered Phase 2 surge levels as of July 1. (Courtesy Texas Medical Center)
Texas Medical Center enters Phase 2 of capacity plan as COVID-19 ICU use continues to rise

ICU occupancy at Texas Medical Center has entered Phase 2 surge levels.

Goldfish Swim School of Sugar Land will open July 7. (Courtesy Goldfish Swim School)
Goldfish Swim School of Sugar Land to begin lessons July 7 with coronavirus safety measures in place

The swim school will offer indoor classes and lessons for children 4 months to 12 years old.

The Fort Bend Children's Discovery Center has implemented a number of measures, including mandatory mask use, ahead of its July 7 reopening. (Courtesy Fort Bend Children's Discovery Center)
Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center plans July 7 reopening with minds-on, not hands-on, activities

The muesum is open Tuesday-Saturday from 10 a.m.-6 p.m., and vistors must preorder tickets online.