Fort Bend ISD adapts to full-day pre-K implementation

At the beginning of the school year, Fort Bend ISD was required by Texas law to convert its half-day prekindergarten program into a full-day program. This change brought increased costs and staffing needs to the district, said Carmela Levy-David, FBISD’s assistant superintendent for early childhood and school improvement.

The change to full-day pre-K comes after the Texas Legislature passed House Bill 3 during the 86th regular legislative session.

Levy-David said students who meet income, language or other eligibility requirements can enroll in FBISD pre-K.

Between when the bill was signed by the governor in June and the start of school, Levy-David said they had to work across departments to plan for staffing and how to obtain furniture and instructional resources for the classrooms.

“We had probably lead time of about three weeks before we had to put all of these pieces in place to be ready for an August start date,” Levy-David said.

Another challenge she said the district ran into was recruiting the necessary additional certified teachers. Levy-David said the district hired 57 teachers and a number of paraprofessionals to maintain an 11-1 student-teacher ratio in the classrooms.

Amanda Bubela, FBISD’s director of external communications and media relations, said HB 3 did not change the funding for pre-K, but did create a new Early Education Allotment to help fund pre-K through third grade programs. The district does not anticipate the funding to cover the full cost of expanding to full-day pre-K, Bubela said.

“All throughout the legislative session as we knew these conversations were going on, that was a part of the budget planning process, was to make sure that we were making these considerations and adding them to the budget,” Bubela said.

Levy-David said feedback from the community has been overwhelmingly positive and that district staff thinks this was a good change.

“This has been a tremendous benefit to not only the families in the district, but our students who are now able to begin mastering lots and lots of literacy skills, social skills, social-emotional skills at a very early age,” Levy-David said. “So that is only going to create a great deal of advantage for them moving forward.”

Pre-K programs are currently offered at 25 schools throughout the district. Bubela said there is a seat available in the district’s pre-K program for any eligible student even if there is not a program at the campus the student is zoned to attend.

Levy-David said there are approximately 1,856 students enrolled in pre-K throughout the district. Last school year, FBISD had 1,520 students enrolled in pre-K, and in the 2017-2018 school year there were 1,388 students enrolled. Bubela said staff anticipates enrollment numbers to continue to grow going forward, as it is easier for working parents to send their students to a full-day pre-K program.

“Our ultimate goal every year is that if there is a child that’s eligible to participate in this program, we want them to enroll in this program because we know it is going to be beneficial for their future learning,” Bubela said.
By Claire Shoop
Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

Here are the latest coronavirus updates for Fort Bend County. (Courtesy Fort Bend County)
Fort Bend County confirms 49 coronavirus cases May 29, highest single-day total since early May

Missouri City now has more than 300 confirmed coronavirus cases.

Texas Medical Center continued to see week-over-week decreases in the total number of active COVID-19 hospitalizations but also saw a significant increase in patient deaths, the medical center reported May 29. (Community Impact staff)
Texas Medical Center sees another week-over-week decrease in COVID-19 hospitalizations

Texas Medical Center continued to see week-over-week decreases in the total number of active COVID-19 hospitalizations but also saw a significant increase in patient deaths, the medical center reported May 29.

The Willie's Grill & Icehouse restaurant in Copperfield is temporarily closed after reopening in mid-May. (Courtesy Willie's Grill & Icehouse Copperfield)
Study predicts coronavirus spike and other top Houston-area stories

Read some of the most popular Houston-area content on Community Impact Newspaper’s website from this week.

The syrup drums being repurposed into rain barrels were donated from Coca-Cola. (Courtesy Galveston Bay Foundation)
Galveston Bay Foundation to host virtual, drive-thru rain barrel workshop

The Kemah-based nature conservation nonprofit is hosting a rain barrel workshop this weekend for Houstonians thirsting for a way to help conserve the community’s water supply.

To help its economy recover from COVID-19, Sugar Land’s economic development department plans to implement a marketing campaign in mid-June referred to as #AllInForSLTX. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Sugar Land to launch #AllInForSLTX campaign to stimulate economy in response to COVID-19

About 92% of businesses surveyed in Sugar Land experienced a decline in business due to COVID-19.

Fort Bend County Judge KP hosted a discussion on Facebook Live with officials from the Kinder Institute and Fort Bend County Health and Human Services about how the results of the COVID-19 Registry will be used. (Courtesy Fort Bend County)
Fort Bend County officials to use COVID-19 Registry to guide coronavirus response

Here is how you can join the COVID-19 Registry and shape Fort Bend County's response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Texas Renaissance Festival is set to resume Oct. 3 with safety guidelines to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. (Courtesy Texas Renaissance Festival)
Texas Renaissance Festival announces tentative modifications for 2020 season

In a May 28 statement, General Manager Joseph Bailey said new safety measures are in the works to comply with governmental recommendations, and an operating plan is expected to be reviewed with officials in June.

Missouri City City Council met for a special meeting May 26. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
With latest action, Missouri City City Council votes down community survey in search for city manager

The results of the survey would have helped council identify issues and priorities to consider when selecting the next city manager.

Health officials in Fort Bend County confirmed 17 new coronavirus cases May 28. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Sugar Land, Missouri City each see 5 new coronavirus cases May 28

There were 17 new coronavirus cases reported in Fort Bend County on May 28, bringing the county total to 1,783 confirmed coronavirus cases.

Outdoor venues in all Texas counties will be permitted to operate at up to 25% capacity starting May 31. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Spectators to be welcomed back to Texas outdoor sporting events May 31 at 25% of venue capacity

Venue owners must operate under guidelines that facilitate appropriate social distancing.

Students enrolled in the University of Houston College of Nursing can take classes at the Sugar Land campus. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Q&A: UH College of Nursing dean reflects on how coronavirus has affected education, profession

Kathryn Tart, dean of the University of Houston’s College of Nursing, spoke with Community Impact Newspaper about how the novel coronavirus is changing the way the university is educating nursing students.

Houston Methodist researchers conducted a 25-patient trial in March and April to examine the safety of convalescent plasma transfusions as a possible treatment for COVID-19. (Courtesy Houston Methodist)
Greater Houston-area health systems examine plasma transfusion as possible COVID-19 treatment

The experimental therapy involves the transfer of plasma from recovered COVID-19 patients to those who are currently symptomatic.