Things to do in Sugar Land and Missouri City in November and December

Courtesy Planned Community Developers
Courtesy Planned Community Developers

Courtesy Planned Community Developers

Courtesy Luxe Studio Productions
Courtesy Houston Museum of Natural Science
Courtesy Gary Foster

November

06 Hone your Healthy Habits

The Missouri City Parks and Recreation Department is bringing in a physical therapist from Encompass Health for a one-hour presentation on rehabilitation and healthy exercise. Noon-1 p.m. Free. Rec & Tennis Center, 2701 Cypress Point Drive, Missouri City. 281-403-8637. www.missouricitytx.gov

08 Enjoy country classics

Sugar Land Town Square is hosting Opry on the Square featuring country favorites that will appeal to fans of all ages. 7:30-9:30 p.m. Free. Sugar Land Town Square, 15958 City Walk, Sugar Land. 281-242-2000. www.sugarlandtownsquare.com

09 Take in Filipino culture

Hosted by Filipino Young Professionals, the 2019 Filipino Street Festival will showcase cultural performances, street food and vendors. Noon-7 p.m. $12 (presale), $15 (at the door). Constellation Field, 1 Stadium Drive, Sugar Land. www.fyphouston.com

12 Discover the History of Sugar Land

Sugar Land Heritage Foundation docent Hal Jay will present the important time periods and people in Sugar Land’s history. The lecture, “Sugar Land—From Karankawas to Today,” will cover the Texas Revolution, Stephen F. Austin, Samuel May Williams, the prison system, W.T. Eldridge, I.H. Kempner and the city’s history as a company town— where businesses and homes are owned by the main employer. 2-4 p.m. Free. Sugar Land Branch Library, 550 Eldridge Road, Sugar Land. 281-238-2140. www.fortbend.lib.tx.us

14 Learn about the Future of Technology

The Fort Bend Chamber of Commerce is holding the inaugural Fort Bend Future Technology Expo. The event will highlight technological innovations in or coming to Fort Bend County, said Gabie Forames, Fort Bend Chamber of Commerce assistant director of programs. 4:30-7:30 p.m. Free. University of Houston at Sugar Land College of Technology Building, 14000 University Blvd., Sugar Land. 281-566-2158. www.fortbendchamber.com

15 through Dec. 07

Get in the holiday spirit

The Houston Museum of Natural Science-Sugar Land hosts several holiday-themed events, including a tree lighting celebration, workshop and auction for its annual Jingle Tree celebration.13016 University Blvd., Sugar Land. 281-313-2277. www.hmns.org/hmns-at-sugar-land

Tree Lighting: Nov. 15, 10 a.m., included in the regular cost of admission

Holiday How-to Workshop: Nov. 19, 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m., $30

Last Bid Cocktail Party:•Nov. 21, 5:30-8:30 p.m., $50

Cookies with Santa: Dec. 7, 10 a.m.- 1 p.m., $5 (members), $10 (nonmembers)

16 Share a teddy bear picnic

The Sienna Branch Library Youth Department is calling all teddy bear lovers for a special picnic event. Participants will read, watch a puppet show and make teddy bear-themed crafts. Bring your teddy bear and join in. 10:30-11:30 a.m. Free. Sienna Branch Library, 8411 Sienna Springs Blvd., Missouri City. 281-238-2900. www.fortbend.lib.tx.us

20 Experience Career and Technical Education

Fort Bend ISD is hosting CTE Program Exploration Night, a chance for students, parents and members of the community to learn about the Career and Technical Education programs offered in the district. 6-8 p.m. Free. James Reese Career and Technical Center, 540 Dulles Ave., Sugar Land. 281-634-5671. www.fortbendisd.com

24 See the Pecan Harvest Festival

The 2019 Pecan Harvest Festival in downtown Richmond will include hay rides, vendor booths, live music, food, drinks and a car show, all while celebrating the history of pecans in Fort Bend County. 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Free. Downtown Richmond, 402 Morton St., Richmond. www.pecan-harvest-festival-tx.com

Smart Financial Centre

18111 Lexington Blvd., Sugar Land

281-207-6278

www.smartfinancialcentre.net

NOVEMBER

11 Sara Bareilles, 8 p.m., $35 and up

15 Rodrigo y Gabriela, 8 p.m., $39.50 and up

16 IMx - Immature, 8 p.m., $38.50 and up

18 Willie Nelson, 8 p.m., $59.50 and up

23 Sleeping Beauty Dreams, 8 p.m., $50 and up

27 Fantasia, 8 p.m., $40 and up
By Claire Shoop
Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

Four baseball teams, including the Sugar Land Skeeters, will compete in 56 games at Constellation Field this July and August. (Courtesy Sugar Land Skeeters)
Sugar Land Skeeters begin two-month summer league at Constellation Field on July 10

Four baseball teams, including the Sugar Land Skeeters, will compete in 56 games at Constellation Field this July and August.

Fort Bend County confirmed 111 new coronavirus cases and one death July 9. (Community Impact Staff)
With 111 new coronavirus cases July 9, Fort Bend County has seen 4,524 total cases since March

There are now more than eight cases of the coronavirus per every 1,000 Missouri City residents.

Effective July 9, hospitals in more than 100 counties across the state must now postpone elective surgeries unrelated to COVID-19. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
MAP: Governor expands restrictions on elective surgeries to more than 100 Texas counties

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott expanded the restrictions that initially required only hospitals in Bexar, Dallas, Harris, and Travis counties to postpone all non-medically necessary surgeries and procedures that are unrelated to COVID-19.

If Missouri City continues funding its Pavement Maintenance and Management Program at current levels, in five to six years most city streets will need to be reconstructed, according to the city's public works department. (Courtesy Fotolia)
'The current budget that we are spending is not adequate': Missouri City looks to invest more in street maintenance program

If Missouri City continues funding its Pavement Maintenance and Management Program at current levels, in five to six years most city streets will need to be reconstructed, according to the city's public works department.

In compliance with Gov. Greg Abbott's July 2 executive order, the University Interscholastic League is requiring the use of facial coverings when practical to do so for all summer activity participants, among other guidelines. (Graphic by Ronald Winters/Community Impact Newspaper)
UIL releases guidelines for conducting summer activities during COVID-19 pandemic

The University Interscholastic League released udpated guidelines for schools conducting summer activities such as sports training and marching band practices on July 8.

Craft Burger is one of 15 restaurants, catering companies and food trucks participating in this year's Black Restaurant Week. (Courtesy Craft Burger)
Houston's fifth annual Black Restaurant Week returns July 10-19

Participating patrons can play Black Restaurant Week Bingo and vote for their favorite participating eateries for a chance to win prizes such as restaurant gift cards, culinary treats and cash prizes.

There are 277 people being treated for confirmed or suspected cases of the coronavirus in Fort Bend County hospitals. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Fort Bend County hospitals see record number of coronavirus patients July 8

Fort Bend County Health & Human Services confirmed 67 new cases of the coronavirus and one additional death July 8.

Home sales were up across most pricing categories in Houston in June, with a 15.7% jump as compared to the same period last year. (Community Impact staff)
Despite COVID-19, year-over-year Houston-area home sales up nearly 16% in June

Home sales were up across most pricing categories in Houston in June, with a 15.7% jump as compared to the same period last year.

Sugar Land City Council has been closely monitoring the effects of the coronavirus pandemic on city finances. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Sugar Land takes steps to maximize flexibility for budget season during coronavirus pandemic

The city of Sugar Land will have additional flexibility when planning for its fiscal year 2020-21 budget due to the unanimous passage of a resolution during the July 7 City Council meeting.

Steve Bezner, senior pastor of Houston Northwest Church on Hwy. 249, is one of four pastors who are urging pastors across the region to work together in seeking unity. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
4 Houston-area pastors take steps urging racial unity across region

"We wanted to unite as many pastors as possible around some basic common denominators that we felt like could make a real impact in our city and move some things forward in the area of racial injustice in our city," said Jason Shepperd, the lead pastor of Church Project in The Woodlands.

The Texas Education Agency released guidelines about on-campus activities, attendance requirements, and health and safety precautions for the 2020-21 school year. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Texas Education Agency issues guidelines for 2020-21 school year

The guidelines address on-campus activities, attendance requirements, and health and safety precautions that should be enforced at Texas schools this year.