Things to do in Sugar Land and Missouri City in November and December

Courtesy Planned Community Developers
Courtesy Planned Community Developers

Courtesy Planned Community Developers

Courtesy Luxe Studio Productions
Courtesy Houston Museum of Natural Science
Courtesy Gary Foster

November

06 Hone your Healthy Habits

The Missouri City Parks and Recreation Department is bringing in a physical therapist from Encompass Health for a one-hour presentation on rehabilitation and healthy exercise. Noon-1 p.m. Free. Rec & Tennis Center, 2701 Cypress Point Drive, Missouri City. 281-403-8637. www.missouricitytx.gov

08 Enjoy country classics

Sugar Land Town Square is hosting Opry on the Square featuring country favorites that will appeal to fans of all ages. 7:30-9:30 p.m. Free. Sugar Land Town Square, 15958 City Walk, Sugar Land. 281-242-2000. www.sugarlandtownsquare.com

09 Take in Filipino culture

Hosted by Filipino Young Professionals, the 2019 Filipino Street Festival will showcase cultural performances, street food and vendors. Noon-7 p.m. $12 (presale), $15 (at the door). Constellation Field, 1 Stadium Drive, Sugar Land. www.fyphouston.com

12 Discover the History of Sugar Land

Sugar Land Heritage Foundation docent Hal Jay will present the important time periods and people in Sugar Land’s history. The lecture, “Sugar Land—From Karankawas to Today,” will cover the Texas Revolution, Stephen F. Austin, Samuel May Williams, the prison system, W.T. Eldridge, I.H. Kempner and the city’s history as a company town— where businesses and homes are owned by the main employer. 2-4 p.m. Free. Sugar Land Branch Library, 550 Eldridge Road, Sugar Land. 281-238-2140. www.fortbend.lib.tx.us

14 Learn about the Future of Technology

The Fort Bend Chamber of Commerce is holding the inaugural Fort Bend Future Technology Expo. The event will highlight technological innovations in or coming to Fort Bend County, said Gabie Forames, Fort Bend Chamber of Commerce assistant director of programs. 4:30-7:30 p.m. Free. University of Houston at Sugar Land College of Technology Building, 14000 University Blvd., Sugar Land. 281-566-2158. www.fortbendchamber.com

15 through Dec. 07

Get in the holiday spirit

The Houston Museum of Natural Science-Sugar Land hosts several holiday-themed events, including a tree lighting celebration, workshop and auction for its annual Jingle Tree celebration.13016 University Blvd., Sugar Land. 281-313-2277. www.hmns.org/hmns-at-sugar-land

Tree Lighting: Nov. 15, 10 a.m., included in the regular cost of admission

Holiday How-to Workshop: Nov. 19, 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m., $30

Last Bid Cocktail Party:•Nov. 21, 5:30-8:30 p.m., $50

Cookies with Santa: Dec. 7, 10 a.m.- 1 p.m., $5 (members), $10 (nonmembers)

16 Share a teddy bear picnic

The Sienna Branch Library Youth Department is calling all teddy bear lovers for a special picnic event. Participants will read, watch a puppet show and make teddy bear-themed crafts. Bring your teddy bear and join in. 10:30-11:30 a.m. Free. Sienna Branch Library, 8411 Sienna Springs Blvd., Missouri City. 281-238-2900. www.fortbend.lib.tx.us

20 Experience Career and Technical Education

Fort Bend ISD is hosting CTE Program Exploration Night, a chance for students, parents and members of the community to learn about the Career and Technical Education programs offered in the district. 6-8 p.m. Free. James Reese Career and Technical Center, 540 Dulles Ave., Sugar Land. 281-634-5671. www.fortbendisd.com

24 See the Pecan Harvest Festival

The 2019 Pecan Harvest Festival in downtown Richmond will include hay rides, vendor booths, live music, food, drinks and a car show, all while celebrating the history of pecans in Fort Bend County. 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Free. Downtown Richmond, 402 Morton St., Richmond. www.pecan-harvest-festival-tx.com

Smart Financial Centre

18111 Lexington Blvd., Sugar Land

281-207-6278

www.smartfinancialcentre.net

NOVEMBER

11 Sara Bareilles, 8 p.m., $35 and up

15 Rodrigo y Gabriela, 8 p.m., $39.50 and up

16 IMx - Immature, 8 p.m., $38.50 and up

18 Willie Nelson, 8 p.m., $59.50 and up

23 Sleeping Beauty Dreams, 8 p.m., $50 and up

27 Fantasia, 8 p.m., $40 and up
By Claire Shoop
Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

The Texas Department of State Health Services projects a significant shortage of nurses by 2032. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Q&A: Why Texas faces a growing nursing shortage and what can be done to address it

In 2018, the state health department estimated about 11% of the demand for nurses was not able to be met, and that number is expected to rise to 16.3% by 2032.

Richmond's Regal Grand Parkway ScreenX & RPX will reopen for normal operations May 7. (Courtesy Regal)
Richmond Regal Grand Parkway ScreenX & RPX set to resume operations

Richmond's Regal Grand Parkway ScreenX & RPX will reopen for normal operations May 7.

Sugar Creek Health Center is a three-building, approximately 90,000-square-foot medical office complex on Hwy. 59 in Sugar Land. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Sugar Creek Health Center in Sugar Land changes ownership

Tenants at Sugar Creek Health Center provide outpatient surgery, imaging, orthopedics, women’s health, dentistry and optometry.

HTV
Houston, Harris County annual addresses no longer hosted by Greater Houston Partnership over Texas voter bill dispute

Local leaders criticized the area chamber of commerce for not taking a definitive stance on two voting access bills currently being deliberated in the Texas Legislature.

Missouri City is working on a project to extend Knight Road so it connects from McKeever Road to the Fort Bend Parkway Toll Road. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Knight Road extension project stalled in Missouri City due to eminent domain

Missouri City still needs to acquire one more parcel of land before it can move forward with constructing a new segment of Knight Road.

The new location is Chipotle's first in Magnolia. (Courtesy Chipotle Mexican Grill)
Chipotle opens in Magnolia; get a sneak peek of new Houston aquarium and more metro news

Read the latest business and community news from the Houston area.

A train collided with an 18-wheeler near Hwy. 90A and Second Street in Richmond on May 6. (Courtesy ABC 13)
Train splits 18-wheeler carrying bottled water in Richmond

The police department has not reported injuries from the incident.

Nathan and Elise Rees fused their passions for baseball and beer when they opened Texas Leaguer Brewing in September 2017. (Photos by Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Baseball-themed Texas Leaguer Brewing creates family-friendly atmosphere in Missouri City

Nathan and Elise Rees fused their passions for baseball and beer when they opened Texas Leaguer Brewing in September 2017.

The business specializes in customized in-home consultations during which families will receive a fire safety plan specific to their house's floor plan and an age-appropriate, individualized plan for each family member. (Courtesy Fire Smart, LLC)
Fire Smart, LLC celebrates one year of providing fire safety education across Greater Houston area

The business specializes in customized in-home consultations during which families will receive a fire safety plan specific to their house's floor plan and an age-appropriate, individualized plan for each family member.

The preliminary budget recommendation designates $27,000 to nonprofit partnerships in Fort Bend County. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Fort Bend County leaders approve initial distribution plan for $157.42M in COVID-19 relief funds

In a divided vote, Fort Bend County commissioners May 4 approved a preliminary budget recommendation for the allocation of $157.42 million in American Rescue Plan Act coronavirus relief funds.

Missouri City City Council approved an ordinance related to the city's pay plan during its May 3 meeting on the first of two required readings. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
Missouri City City Council gives initial go-ahead for employee pay increases

City employees will receive a 3.5% salary adjustment to accommodate for the rising cost of living, among other changes.

Vivaldi Music Academy offers lessons in a variety of instruments. (Hunter Marrow/Community Impact Newspaper)
Vivaldi Music Academy offering private lessons, classes in new Sugar Land Town Square location

Students age 4 and older can learn piano, guitar, drum, cello, viola, violin, flute, clarinet, drum and voice at Vivaldi Music Academy.