The backstory: As previously reported by Community Impact, KISD voters approved two propositions totaling $895.4 million placed on the ballot last May—the largest bond in district history.
- Proposition A allocated $843.8 million to address growth and capacity challenges through facility improvements, while Proposition B allocated $51.5 million for classroom technology. Both propositions were approved by voters with more than 59% of voters in favor.
- Propositions C and D—which were not approved by voters—would have allocated $141 million to build a district events center and $75.2 million to build a second stadium and renovate Klein Memorial Stadium, respectively.
The details: As part of Proposition A, the following campuses would be under construction first with an estimated completion in August 2024:
- Klein Collins, Klein Cain and Klein Oak high schools
- Kleb, Doerre and Hildebrandt intermediate schools
- Northampton Elementary School
Check out the interactive map below to see what renovations each campus will be undergoing.
August Wunderlich, associate superintendent of facility and school services, said all 2022 bond projects associated with safety and security have either already been completed or are underway as of March 6. These projects include the installation of:
- Security vestibules
- Access card readers
- Front door intercoms
- Door contacts
- Enhanced interior and exterior video surveillance
- Additional security cameras
Major takeaways: Wunderlich noted ongoing supply chain and procurement issues have tripled the delivery time on certain items, such as:
- Mechanical equipment
- Electrical gear and generators
- Safety and security control panels
- Fire alarm panels
"We're having the same problems that the whole community is having, so we're doing our best to make all those things work and still put together packages that are best for the students," Wunderlich said.