According to an announcement on HCPL's website, residents can now return library materials to the exterior book drops at all HCPL branches, with the exception of book drops at LSC-CyFair and LSC-Tomball as Lone Star College campuses remain closed. The announcement also states that library materials may be returned to any other HCPL book drop, and no late fees will be charged during the library closures.
Additionally, HCPL will also begin offering no-contact curbside pickup at all branch locations May 26, with the exception of LSC-CyFair and LSC-Tomball. To utilize HCPL's curbside pickup services, Harris County residents can put library materials on hold via the HCPL website. Once the resident receives a notification that his or her books are ready to pick up, the resident can call his or her respective HCPL pickup location with library card in hand and will be given a pickup time and instructions for curbside pickup. Upon arrival, the resident may be asked to show his or her library card or another form of ID for verification.
Curbside pickup hours for all locations will be Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Fridays from 1-6 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m.-5 p.m., with the exception of the Baldwin Boettcher Branch Library at Mercer Park, which will offer curbside pickup Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Additional HCPL services being offered during library closures include:
- HCPL drive-up Wi-Fi service;
- download ebooks and audiobooks, stream movies, research and learn at www.hcpl.net;
- attend an HCPL program or story time online through Facebook or YouTube;
- renew loans or request books;
- view ebooks, comics and graphic novels through OverDrive;
- stream classic films, indie cinema and award-winning documentaries via Kanopy;
- listen to audiobooks through RBDigital or OverDrive;
- read along and play with picture books on TumbleBooks;
- ask a question via chat on Ask a Librarian; and
- get book recommendations via Book Hunters.
Those without an HCPL library card can get instant access to HCPL's digital materials with an iKnow Digital Access Card. To apply for an iKnow Digital Access Card, click here.