The Texas Education Agency today released a provisional set of accountability ratings for school districts using its new A-F rating system, approved by the Texas Legislature in 2015.
Overall, Klein ISD received grades of B and C, and Spring ISD received grades of C and D according to four achievement areas rated by the TEA.
According to the TEA, the new rating system measures year-over-year district and student performance beyond State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness results. This system will officially be implemented in the 2017-18 academic year, reflecting district and student performance in the 2016-17 academic year.
The A-F ratings are a change from the “met standard,” “met alternative standard,” and “improvement required” ratings given to school districts and campuses in previous years.
The new rating system is based on 2015-16 data and is intended as a trial run. The first official ratings under the A-F system will not be released until August 2018.
Each school and district receives four scores, corresponding to four domains of achievement:
Domain I looks at student achievement.
Domain II measures student progress, specifically how each student’s State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness score compares to the previous year.
Domain III looks at closing achievement gaps. Economically disadvantaged numbers play into this.
Domain IV measures postsecondary readiness. At the high school level, this is based on the graduation rate and the percentage of students who graduate ready for college, career or the military.
KISD passed a resolution in December calling upon the Texas Legislature to repeal the rating system and develop a community-based accountability system to allow districts to develop their own assessment methods. The resolution also states that such a system should reduce the use of standardized tests.
KISD declined to comment specifically on this week’s preliminary ratings because they are unofficial, said Judy Rimato, KISD associate superintendent for communications and planning.
SISD Superintendent Rodney Watson released a letter to the SISD community on Thursday outlining the district’s position on the letter grading system.
“I’m very concerned, like other district leaders, that people will assume that the letter grades assigned under the new rating system are equivalent to traditional subject letter grades on school report cards,” Watson said in the letter.”There is a huge difference. Imagine if annual work performance evaluations were based on an employee’s work on only one day out of the year versus their contribution over the course of a 12-month period. That’s the type of difference we are talking about.”
Watson said the district will work with whatever accountability system the state uses, pointing out that many SISD students face challenges such as poverty and language barriers.
Here are the letter grades for Spring and Klein ISDs, as well as each campus, received in each domain.
Klein ISD: B | B | C | C
- Benfer Elementary: C | D | C| B
- Benignus Elementary: A | B | B | A
- Bernshausen Elementary: C | C| D | C
- Blackshear Elementary: B| C| B | B
- Brill Elementary: A | A |B | C
- Doerre Intermediate: A | B |C | C
- Ehrhardt Elementary B | C | C | C
- Eiland Elementary D | C |C | C
- Epps Island Elementary D | B | C | D
- Frank Elementary A | A | C | C
- French Elementary A | A | N/A | A
- Greenwood Forest Elementary C | D | D | C
- Hassler Elementary A | B | C | A
- Haude Elementary B | C | D | B
- Hildebrandt Intermediate B | C | D | C
- Kaiser Elementary C | C | B | C
- Kleb Intermediate B | B | C | B
- Klein Collins High School B | C | C | C
- Klein Forest High School D | D | C | D
- Klein High School B | C | C | D
- Klein Intermediate D | C | C | F
- Klein Oak High School B | C | C | C
- Klenk Elementary C | B | B | C
- Kohrville Elementary B | C | B | B
- Krahn Elementary A | B | B | B
- Kreinhop Elementary B | B | C | C
- Krimmel Intermediate B | B | D | C
- Kuehnle Elementary B | C | D | B
- Lemm Elementary B | B | C | B
- McDougle Elementary C | B | C | B
- Metzler Elementary A | B| B | C
- Mittelstadt Elementary C | D | D | F
- Mueller Elementary B | C | C | B
- Nitsch Elementary F | D | D | D
- Northampton Elementary B | C | D | B
- Roth Elementary B | C | C | C
- Schindewolf Intermediate B | C | C | B
- Schultz Elementary B | C | C | C
- Strack Intermediate B | B| C | B
- Theiss Elementary A | A | B | C
- Ulrich Intermediate B | C | B | C
- Wunderlich Intermediate C | C | B | D
- Zwink Elementary B | C | C | B
Spring ISD: D | C | D | C
- Anderson Elementary C | B | B| C
- Andy Dekaney High School F | F | F | D
- Bammel Elementary F | C | F | F
- Bammel Middle F | D | D | F
- Beneke Elementary C | C | C | C
- Carl Wunsche High School C | F | C | N/A
- Carolee Booker Elementary D | C | D | C
- Chet Burchett Elementary C | B | C | C
- Clark Intermediate F | F | F | D
- Deloras E. Thompson Elementary D| C | C | F
- Donna Lewis Elementary D | C | C | D
- Dueitt Middle C | C | C | D
- Early College Academy A | B | A| A
- Edward Roberson Middle C | C | C | C
- Edwin Wells Middle D | C | C | F
- Ginger McNabb Elementary F | D | D | D
- Gloria Marshall Elementary D | C | D | D
- Helen Major Elementary F | F | F | D
- Heritage Elementary D | C | C | B
- Hoyland Elementary F | F | F | D
- Joan Link Elementary D | F | D | D
- John Winship Elementary D | C | D | C
- Meyer Elementary C | B | C | C
- Mildred Jenkins Elementary D | C | D | D
- Milton Cooper Elementary C | B | B | B
- Northgate Elementary B | A | B | B
- Pat Reynolds Elementary C | B | B | C
- Pearl Hirsch Elementary D | B | D | D
- Ponderosa Elementary D | D | D | C
- Ralph Eickenroht Elementary F | C | D| D
- Rickey Bailey Middle D | D | D | F
- Salyers Elementary D | C | D | D
- Smith Elementary C | D | C | C
- Spring High School D | D| D | C
- Stelle Claughton Middle D | C | C | D
- Twin Creeks Middle C | D | C | C
- Westfield High School F | D | D | C
Here are how several nearby school districts performed in the preliminary ratings system:
Aldine ISD: D | D | B | C
Conroe ISD: B | A | B | C
Cy-Fair ISD: B | A | B | C
Houston ISD: C | B | D | D
Tomball ISD: A | A | B | C