According to the release, PISD factored in community input with its changes. The school district highlighted five changes.
- Shorts and skirts must be worn no shorter than midthigh.
- Shorts or skirts must be hemmed, not cutoffs.
- Distressed jeans are allowed but shall not expose skin above the midthigh.
- Spandex, leather, suede, vinyl, or sheer (see-through) fabrics are not allowed.
- Facial hair must be neat, clean, well-groomed/trimmed and worn in a style that is not distracting.
When looking back at PISD's dress code for the 2020-21 school year, this is how these changes differ.
The rule for shorts and skirts last year stated they must be no more than 3 inches above the knee.
Regarding distressed jeans, in 2020-21 they were allowed as long as it did not reveal skin. For 2021-22, the dress code specifies distressed jeans cannot expose skin above the midthigh area.
In 2020-21, spandex was not on the list of fabrics banned.
Regarding facial hair, the district’s dress code for 2020-21 stated mustaches, beards and goatees were not allowed, and sideburns had to be neatly trimmed and could not extend beyond ear level, a rule that has been loosened in the updated version.
The complete dress code for the 2021-22 school year can be found on the district's website.