Election Day for the primary runoff is Tuesday. Here is more news to know this week in Pearland and Friendswood.
City & county
- The Galveston County Commissioners Court will meet at 9:30 a.m. Monday. The commissioners will receive an update on Community Development Block Grant projects from the county engineer.
- Pearland City Council meets at 6:30 p.m. Monday for a joint public hearing with Planning and Zoning, followed by a regular meeting, which will include the council’s first look at an official proposal to create a park and ride program that would help commuters get to the Texas Medical Center and downtown Houston. As Community Impact Newspaper first reported in April, the park and ride would come at no direct cost to the city.
- The Brazoria County Commissioners Court will meet at 9 a.m. Tuesday. Among other items, the commissioners will hear an update on the Brazoria County Road Safety Study and Assessment.
- The City of Pearland will have a public meeting from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday at city hall, 3519 Liberty Drive, for the city’s application for FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program Funds to buy flood-prone structures. Residents will be able to ask questions and learn about the proposed project.
- The Pearland ISD board of trustees will meet at 5 p.m. Tuesday. The agenda includes an update on the 2018-19 budget and scheduling a public meeting to discuss the budget and the proposed tax rate. There will also be a report and possible vote on changing school start times.
- Students in Alvin ISD will have their last day of class on Friday, May 25.
- A Shadow Creek High School art class is hosting an exhibition and auction 5-8 p.m. Thursday at Watercrest at Shadow Creek Ranch, 11745 Broadway St., Pearland. 832-956-8000. www.shadowcreekartshow.info
- The owners of King’s Biergarten are looking to franchise their Kings BierHaus brand and have partnered with a national agency to grow their empire.