RichGirls Boutique: Pearland clothing store creates custom designs

Alexandra Rich helped her mother, Donna Rich, open RichGirls Boutique four and a half years ago. (Photos by Colleen Ferguson)

Custom-made apparel is one of the shop's signature offerings.
The store is located at 1807 Broadway St., Ste. 101, Pearland.
Alexandra Rich was finishing college four and a half years ago when her mother, Donna Rich, asked for her help with opening a boutique. Since then, the mother-daughter co-owners have curated the store’s offerings and evolved its selection to offer custom-made apparel as well as a variety of skincare, home and gift items.

Alexandra was working on a real estate license before she partnered with her mother to start the clothing store, located at 1807 Broadway St., Ste. 101, Pearland. She fell in love with managing the store, she said, and has since taken inspiration from the fashion brands and trends in Los Angeles and Australia, in particular, to select items for sale in the boutique.

Alexandra and Donna frequently buy items for the store at the Dallas Market Center, but they have not been able to go since before the pandemic hit Texas. When it comes to store selection, the women collaborate with other small, Pearland-area retailers to ensure customers get a unique experience at RichGirls Boutique, Alexandra said.

Part of the draw of creating and selling custom pieces originated from this desire for the boutique to stand out.

“I just try to be different,” Alexandra said. “I am always looking for something no one else has.”

What started as a handful of orders of custom Houston Astros jean jackets turned into a lucrative part of the business: Custom apparel sales have increased and have helped the business stay profitable during the pandemic, Alexandra said.

When many shipments of other products were on back-order, Alexandra decided to “kick it into 12th gear” with custom creations and use the clothing already in stock to make new pieces, she said. While Alexandra gets outside help with certain processes, such as embroidery or screen printing, she does much of the other custom work herself in-house.

Another reason the women partner with local businesses, particularly in the era of COVID-19, has been to foster a sense of community among one another, Alexandra said. A balloon display hanging outside the store in mid-October was created by a local balloon artist, and several of the home and gift items sold at RichGirls Boutique are made by stay-at-home wives or mothers trying to launch their businesses, she added.

“We’re always [collaborating] with other people,” Alexandra said.

Future offerings will include an extended selection of facial and skin care products as well as tanning lotions and bath bombs. The boutique plans to offer gift bundles this holiday season.
By Colleen Ferguson
A native central New Yorker, Colleen Ferguson worked as an editorial intern with the Cy-Fair and Lake Houston | Humble | Kingwood editions of Community Impact before joining the Bay Area team in 2020. Colleen graduated from Syracuse University in 2019, where she worked for the campus's independent student newspaper The Daily Orange, with a degree in Newspaper and Online Journalism from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and a degree in Spanish language and culture. Colleen previously interned with The Journal News/lohud, where she covered the commute in the greater New York City area.

Imperio Wine & Spirits sells a variety of liquor, beer, wine and spirits. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Imperio Wine & Spirits opens in Katy; Montgomery Chick-fil-A to open dining room and more Houston-area news

Read the latest business and community news from the Greater Houston area.

See how some Greater Houston area school districts are planning to go back to school for the 2021-22 academic year. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
See how some Greater Houston area school districts are planning to go back to school for the 2021-22 academic year

While some school districts in the Greater Houston area are doing away with face mask requirements and virtual schooling completely, others are pivoting to continue offering online learning options for students and plan to require face masks.

(Courtesy city of Houston)
BREAKING: Collins Aerospace coming to Houston Spaceport

Houston officials have announced another company slated for the Houston Spaceport at Ellington Airport in Clear Lake.

masks
CDC ends all mask requirements for fully vaccinated people

The guidance states fully vaccinated people do not need to wear masks indoors or outdoors.

Hwy. 36A has not been approved as a project, so the route of the road has not been decided. However, this map shows the study area for the road. (Courtesy Highway 36A Coalition)
TxDOT, advocacy group look at feasibility of Hwy. 36A corridor through Brazoria, Fort Bend, Waller counties

The Highway 36A Coalition is hoping to get the road placed on HGAC's 2045 Regional Transportation Plan.

House Bill 1024, signed into law May 12, allows restaurants and bars to permanently sell alcoholic beverages to-go. (Courtesy Pexels)
Cocktails to-go are here to stay in Texas: Gov. Greg Abbott signs change into law May 12

Supporters say the change will help restaurants continue to recover from the economic effects of the coronavirus pandemic.

Friendswood ISD's board of trustees voted unanimously May 10 to provide only in-person instruction to students during the 2021-22 school year, as well as to eliminate any mandate for face coverings starting June 1. (Courtesy of Friendswood ISD)
FEEDBACK WANTED: How do you feel about Friendswood ISD's 2021-22 plans?

Do you have thoughts about Friendswood ISD's decision to eliminate virtual schooling for next academic year and lift its mask mandate starting June 1? We want to hear from you.

Epic Plumbing is celebrating 25 years in Pearland this June. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Epic Plumbing celebrates 25 years in Pearland this June

The business offers plumbing, repair and installation services.

Masks will soon be optional at Friendswood ISD.  (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Friendswood ISD eliminates virtual schooling, lifts mask mandate starting June 1

Students and staff will attend classes and activities fully in-person during the 2021-22 school year, and will have the option of wearing a face covering while doing so.

The northbound lane on Bay Area Boulevard is closed until mid-May. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Bay Area Boulevard lane closure in Friendswood to end mid-May

The lane is closed from Steven Luke Lane to Park Bend Drive, with northbound traffic diverted to the southbound side, according to a press release.

New details could emerge soon on the potential use of underground tunnels to carry flood water in Harris County, and officials voted May 11 to dedicate an additional $3.26 million to study efforts along Buffalo Bayou. (Kelly Schafler/Community Impact Newspaper)
County commissioners expand scope of flood tunnel study as next phase nears completion

New details could emerge soon on the potential use of underground tunnels to carry flood water in Harris County, and officials voted May 11 to dedicate an additional $3.26 million to study efforts along Buffalo Bayou.