Main Street Bistro: League City eatery attracts customers with unique plating

The shrimp and grits ($17) includes sauteed shrimp, bell peppers, onions, Andouille sausage and spices with Creole sauce. (Colleen Ferguson/Community Impact Newspaper)

The Baja chicken salad ($16) includes black beans, pico de gallo, corn, sliced avocado, cilantro, mixed greens, tortilla strips and mesquite grilled chicken, served with choice of poblano ranch or chipotle ranch. (Colleen Ferguson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Fried green tomatoes topped with lump crab and microgreens ($12) (Colleen Ferguson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Main Street Bistro's specials change twice a day. (Colleen Ferguson/Community Impact Newspaper)
General Manager Leslie Stewart has worked at Main Street Bistro for about four years. (Colleen Ferguson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Main Street Bistro has served Bay Area residents an array of ever-changing specials, inspired by a variety of cuisines, as well as homestyle twists on brunch favorites for nearly a decade.

The restaurant is located in a small plaza in Old League City at 615 E. Main St., tucked underneath the oak trees adjacent to League Park. While the traditional menu includes soups, salads, burgers, sandwiches and tacos, General Manager Leslie Stewart said residents flock to the bistro at lunch and dinner for its specials.

Chef and owner Michael Brewer concocts new specials twice daily for diners, which are displayed on the chalkboard and usually posted to the restaurant’s Facebook page. Dishes range from Asian fusion and seafood to Tex-Mex, Creole and Greek flavors.

“This is all him—this is his baby,” Stewart said, adding Brewer often experiments with ingredient combinations.

While special items are separate from the regular menu, customers will often come in and inquire about a special they had some time ago, Stewart said. Chefs can and often will recreate the dish at any time.

Fried green tomatoes and shrimp and grits are two menu staples. The eatery uses locally sourced ingredients, and nearly all dishes are made to order.

Another defining feature of the Main Street Bistro experience is the plating: Dishes are arranged in a way customers often rave about, Stewart said.

“We constantly have people take pictures of their food,” added Stewart, who runs the restaurant’s social media.

While to-go customers do not get the same plating experience, carryout orders sustained the restaurant through COVID-19 shutdowns; Main Street Bistro has not had to close its doors throughout the duration of the pandemic, Stewart said.

“People were really about [supporting] local business, which we appreciate,” she said. “It was like God smiling down on us at the bistro.”

Loyal customers have kept Main Street Bistro open during even the stormiest times: The kitchen was open the day after Hurricane Harvey struck Houston, and people began stopping by like usual, Stewart recalled.

“We basically kill it, even on word of mouth [alone],” she said.
By Colleen Ferguson
A native central New Yorker, Colleen Ferguson worked as an editorial intern with the Cy-Fair and Lake Houston | Humble | Kingwood editions of Community Impact before joining the Bay Area team in 2020. Colleen graduated from Syracuse University in 2019, where she worked for the campus's independent student newspaper The Daily Orange, with a degree in Newspaper and Online Journalism from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and a degree in Spanish language and culture. Colleen previously interned with The Journal News/lohud, where she covered the commute in the greater New York City area.

Main Squeeze Juice opened in Pearland in November. (Courtesy Main Squeeze Juice)
ROUNDUP: 6 businesses that opened in Pearland, Friendswood this fall

Here are six businesses that opened in Pearland and Friendswood in September through November.

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has launched a campaign to address declining college enrollment numbers across the state since the pandemic started. (Courtesy Pexels)
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board launches campaign to boost college enrollment

The decline in college enrollment across the state of Texas has prompted several agencies to partner up and create online resources for students and counselors.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced a COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan for the state Nov. 23 for a vaccine he said could be available as soon as December. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Number of daily new COVID-19 cases in Galveston County up nearly 300% since late October

A total of 14,465 county residents have tested positive for the coronavirus since mid-March; of the total cases, 89% are considered to have recovered.A total of 14,465 county residents have tested positive for the coronavirus since mid-March; of the total cases, 89% are considered to have recovered.

Dozens of clinics throughout the county offer COVID-19 testing services. (William C. Wadsack/Community Impact Newspaper)
COVID-19 testing locations remain open in Montgomery County and more local news

Read the latest Houston-area business and community news.

Heading into Thanksgiving, Texas Medical Center continues to report uptick in hospitalizations

The total number of COVID-19 patients hospitalized at Texas Medical Center facilities has increased by more than 50% over two weeks.

The Harris County Justice Administration Department is working to release final reports and launch pilot programs in early 2021. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Harris County Justice Administration Department makes headway on countywide criminal justice studies

The department is working to release the final versions of several studies and launch pilot programs with local law enforcement groups in early 2021.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announces COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan

The vaccine could start being distributed "as early as next month," according to a Nov. 23 news release.

Laura Colangelo
Q&A: Laura Colangelo discusses challenges facing private schools during pandemic

Colangelo said private schools have adapted to remote learning and other obstacles in 2020 despite less revenue and a 9% decline in enrollment statewide.

Here are three eye care businesses that have opened in Pearland and Friendswood. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
ROUNDUP: News on three eye care businesses in Pearland, Friendswood

Here are three eye care businesses that have opened in Pearland and Friendswood.

Shake Shack opened its new standalone location at The Woodlands Mall in November. (Courtesy Christine Han)
Shake Shack opens in The Woodlands Mall and more Houston-area updates

Read the latest business and community news from the Greater Houston area.