UH changes focus of Energy Research Park

Research parks are important institutions for bridging the gap between research and commercialization, or the actual production of innovative technologies. They turn published articles into tangible products, words into actions.

That's why the University of Houston changed the name of its 74-acre Energy Research Park to UH Technology Bridge. It is literally bridging the gap in what those in the innovation ecosystem, such as UH's Vice President of Research and Technology Transfer Amr Elnashai, call the "valley of death."

“Before the 'valley of death,' there is a professor who has an idea, she or he has a research student and they are working on something intellectually challenging. Imagine that is the left side of your room, and to the right side of your room is the commercial piece. There is a product that is already operational and there's some sort of market need for it. The valley of death is between the two," Elnashai said. "The researcher has now published the papers, and they are no longer interested in the technical challenge. The industry side is not ready to pick up this research idea because there are too many steps that they are not prepared for before this idea becomes a product. This is the 'valley of death' that the UH Technology Bridge is trying to bridge: from the end of intellectual excitement to the beginning of the production manufacturing.”

The Technology Bridge is part of a five-year master plan to better keep up with Houston's growing innovation ecosystem. Elnashai said the demand for this kind of market outweighs the supply, so this research park will include a multitude of industries, including medical application startups, oil and gas technologies and aerospace startups. The park will also include significant laboratory space, which is "a missing piece in the Houston innovation ecosystem."

"We’re interested in these [industries] not only because these are the most important aspects of the Houston ecosystem, but also because of the interest from the faculty at the University of Houston," he said. "We want to focus on startups that are willing and able to engage with our students and faculty; we do not want to end up being landlords for startups. We want to go beyond that.”

UH administrators anticipate The Technology Bridge to create $1 billion in cumulative economic development for Houston over the five-year period by bringing five additional large industrial partners, an additional 25 startups and three new research collaborations to the facility. There are already 15 startups located there: Advanced Lipid Consultants, Alchemy Sciences, Critical X Solutions, Dexmat, Drylet, Integricote, KadVax, Metabocentric Biotechnologies, RevoChem, Sensytec, Teomics, Trucke, Vyripharm Biopharmaceuticals and two additional companies that have leases under negotiation, which cannot be released until the final agreements are signed.

“After already playing a key role in the development of the technology innovation frontier in Houston, UH is upping its game in a way that makes this UH alum very proud,” said Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner in a press release. “The UH Technology Bridge is a leap that will contribute significantly to Houston’s rapid growth as the next fertile ground in the U.S. for digital technology breakthroughs, startups and incubation work among public and private groups.”

Another reason for the name change, according to Elnashai, is because the original name limited the range and abilities of what UH is offering.

“With the name Energy Research Park, it implies that if you are working on biomedical research or pharmacy applications or anything else, then this is not the place for you. Either you work on energy or you are not within our scope, and this is not the case," Elnashai said. "The Technology Bridge shows that we are not in a particular sector. We are not really a research park, what it really is a bridge from research to commercialization.”

UH President Renu Khator said she believes the Technology Bridge aligns with UH's mission and the importance the university puts on research.

“As Houston’s large public research university and center for innovation, our mission is to support the needs of the workforce and serve as an engine of economic development,” she said in a press release. “Refocusing our expertise and facilities on emerging technology will put businesses in a better position to succeed and Houston in a better position to compete globally.”
SHARE THIS STORY
By Kara McIntyre

Kara started with Community Impact Newspaper as the summer intern for the south Houston office in June 2018 after graduating with a bachelor's degree in mass communication from Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas. She became the Tomball/Magnolia reporter in September 2018. Prior to CI, Kara served as the editor-in-chief of The Wichitan—Midwestern State University's student-run campus newspaper—and interned with both the Wichita Adult Literacy Council and VeepWorks.

The special meeting Feb. 20 lasted nearly five hours. (Trevor Nolley/Community Impact Newspaper)
San Jacinto River Authority votes to continue Lake Conroe lowering with modifications

The board ultimately voted to change fall lowering while keeping spring lowering the same.

Levitated Metals will open in September in the East Montgomery County Industrial Park. (Courtesy East Montgomery County Improvement District)
Levitated Metals to bring specialty recycling to East Montgomery County Industrial Park

Levitated Metals, a specialty metal recycling company, broke ground Jan. 15 on its manufacturing facility at 18920 Celia Way, New Caney, in the East Montgomery County Industrial Park.

Jordan Brooks, market specialist at ALN Apartment Data, speaks at the Houston Apartment Association’s Montgomery County State of the Submarket Breakfast on Feb. 18. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Moderate growth in apartment rent, occupancy on Montgomery County's horizon

Experts: County well-positioned for moderate rent growth, average to above-average apartment occupancy for 2020 and 2021

Cheetos Cheese Pickles from Biggy's (Courtesy Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo)
Cheetos cheese pickles, mac and cheese eggrolls, deep-fried cheesecake: 93 food spots to try during the 2020 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

From tried and true to something new, the food options at this year's Rodeo include classic staples and crazy concoctions.

Lone Star College System has $185 million remaining from its 2014 bond referendum. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lone Star College System updates 2014 bond project progress

Lone Star College System continues to make improvements to campuses through an $485 million bond that passed in 2014.

Early voting begins Feb. 18 in the 2020 Texas primary. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Primary election Q&A: 2 Republicans vie for state District 127 representative

Two candidates are vying for a place as the Republican candidate for state representative for District 127 in the March 3 primary election, including incumbent Dan Huberty and Dwight Ford.

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas. The Shinkansen trains in Japan will be customized for Texas with no middle seats and additional legroom, company officials announced. (Courtesy Texas Central)
JUST IN: Texas Central gives first glimpse of high-speed train car interior

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas.

Feb. 14 was the deadline to apply to run for three Humble City Council positions. (Kelly Schafler/Community Impact Newspaper)
Steagall not seeking re-election; three candidates to vie for Humble City Council seat

Three candidates are in the running for a Humble City Council position, which is currently held by Allan Steagall, a multiterm incumbent who is not seeking re-election in the May 2 general election.

(Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Primary election Q&A: Four vie in Democratic race for state Rep. District 142

Four candidates are vying for a place as the Democratic candidate for state Rep. District 142 in the March 3 primary election, including incumbent Harold V. Dutton Jr., Richard Bonton, Jerry Davis and Natasha Ruiz.

(Courtesy Adobe Stock)
State House District 141 Democratic candidates discuss the nation's health care system, critical initiatives

Two candidates are vying for a place as the Democratic candidate for state House District 141 in the March 3 primary election.

Photo by Vanessa Holt/Community Impact Newspaper
Randalls to close 5 locations Feb. 15

Randalls is closing five stores in the Houston area.

The Humble Cemetery has been under the care of the city for more than a decade. (Courtesy Google Maps)
Humble City Council approves city ownership of cemetery

Humble City Council members unanimously approved an affidavit of ownership on Thursday evening, making way for the city of Humble to take formal ownership over the land associated with the Humble Cemetery.

Back to top