UH changes focus of Energy Research Park

Research parks are important institutions for bridging the gap between research and commercialization, or the actual production of innovative technologies. They turn published articles into tangible products, words into actions.

That's why the University of Houston changed the name of its 74-acre Energy Research Park to UH Technology Bridge. It is literally bridging the gap in what those in the innovation ecosystem, such as UH's Vice President of Research and Technology Transfer Amr Elnashai, call the "valley of death."

“Before the 'valley of death,' there is a professor who has an idea, she or he has a research student and they are working on something intellectually challenging. Imagine that is the left side of your room, and to the right side of your room is the commercial piece. There is a product that is already operational and there's some sort of market need for it. The valley of death is between the two," Elnashai said. "The researcher has now published the papers, and they are no longer interested in the technical challenge. The industry side is not ready to pick up this research idea because there are too many steps that they are not prepared for before this idea becomes a product. This is the 'valley of death' that the UH Technology Bridge is trying to bridge: from the end of intellectual excitement to the beginning of the production manufacturing.”

The Technology Bridge is part of a five-year master plan to better keep up with Houston's growing innovation ecosystem. Elnashai said the demand for this kind of market outweighs the supply, so this research park will include a multitude of industries, including medical application startups, oil and gas technologies and aerospace startups. The park will also include significant laboratory space, which is "a missing piece in the Houston innovation ecosystem."

"We’re interested in these [industries] not only because these are the most important aspects of the Houston ecosystem, but also because of the interest from the faculty at the University of Houston," he said. "We want to focus on startups that are willing and able to engage with our students and faculty; we do not want to end up being landlords for startups. We want to go beyond that.”

UH administrators anticipate The Technology Bridge to create $1 billion in cumulative economic development for Houston over the five-year period by bringing five additional large industrial partners, an additional 25 startups and three new research collaborations to the facility. There are already 15 startups located there: Advanced Lipid Consultants, Alchemy Sciences, Critical X Solutions, Dexmat, Drylet, Integricote, KadVax, Metabocentric Biotechnologies, RevoChem, Sensytec, Teomics, Trucke, Vyripharm Biopharmaceuticals and two additional companies that have leases under negotiation, which cannot be released until the final agreements are signed.

“After already playing a key role in the development of the technology innovation frontier in Houston, UH is upping its game in a way that makes this UH alum very proud,” said Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner in a press release. “The UH Technology Bridge is a leap that will contribute significantly to Houston’s rapid growth as the next fertile ground in the U.S. for digital technology breakthroughs, startups and incubation work among public and private groups.”

Another reason for the name change, according to Elnashai, is because the original name limited the range and abilities of what UH is offering.

“With the name Energy Research Park, it implies that if you are working on biomedical research or pharmacy applications or anything else, then this is not the place for you. Either you work on energy or you are not within our scope, and this is not the case," Elnashai said. "The Technology Bridge shows that we are not in a particular sector. We are not really a research park, what it really is a bridge from research to commercialization.”

UH President Renu Khator said she believes the Technology Bridge aligns with UH's mission and the importance the university puts on research.

“As Houston’s large public research university and center for innovation, our mission is to support the needs of the workforce and serve as an engine of economic development,” she said in a press release. “Refocusing our expertise and facilities on emerging technology will put businesses in a better position to succeed and Houston in a better position to compete globally.”
SHARE THIS STORY
By Kara McIntyre

Kara started with Community Impact Newspaper as the summer intern for the south Houston office in June 2018 after graduating with a bachelor's degree in mass communication from Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas. She became the Tomball/Magnolia reporter in September 2018. Prior to CI, Kara served as the editor-in-chief of The Wichitan—Midwestern State University's student-run campus newspaper—and interned with both the Wichita Adult Literacy Council and VeepWorks.

Karen Waldrup (top) and The Soul Rebels (bottom) both had to cancel shows scheduled in Houston due to coronavirus. (Photo illustration by Justin Howell/Community Impact Newspaper)
Houston-area musicians go virtual to play for fans amid coronavirus cancellations of live shows

As non-essential businesses like bars and music venues are forced to close due to coronavirus concerns, musicians find themselves performing for audiences behind computer screens and asking for virtual tips.

The East Montgomery County Improvement District has postponed its May election until November. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
East Montgomery County Improvement District postpones May election for board of directors

The East Montgomery County Improvement District board of directors voted to postpone its May 2 election until Nov. 3 amid the coronavirus crisis.

Rep. Kevin Brady, R-The Woodlands, spoke about the CARES Act and his involvement in the package's development March 27. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
Q&A: U.S. Rep. Kevin Brady discusses the passage of the CARES Act

The stimulus package passed through Congress this week and was expected to be signed by President Donald Trump on March 27.

The Humble ISD board of trustees held its first teleconferenced board meeting March 24. (Courtesy Humble ISD via Zoom)
Humble ISD adopts resolution declaring public health emergency, continuing employee pay

In response to the coronavirus crisis, the Humble ISD board of trustees voted March 24 to approve a resolution that declared a public health emergency and ensured teachers and staff will continue to be paid.

While the agency is still tallying the number of unemployment insurance claims filed thus far in March, in the week prior to March 25, at least 150,000 claims had been filed. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Official: Increase in calls for statewide unemployment benefits is ‘almost vertical’

According to Serna, on an average day the Texas Workforce Commission’s four call centers statewide receive 13,000-14,000 calls; on March 22, the agency received 100,000 calls regarding unemployment insurance benefit inquiries.

Montgomery County Judge Mark Keough's stay-at-home order for the county is effective March 28. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
BREAKING: Montgomery County issues stay-at-home order, nightly curfew through April 12

County Judge Mark Keough's order, which goes into effect at 11:59 p.m. March 27, will last through April 12.

DATA: Cases, recovery rates and death rates for COVID-19 in the Greater Houston area

A total of 441 cases of coronavirus have been identified in the Greater Houston area as of March 26.

Humble City Council met via teleconference on March 26. (Courtesy via Zoom)
Humble City Council votes to postpone May election, extend citywide disaster declaration

Humble City Council members and city staff met for their first teleconferenced meeting March 26, which was done in an effort to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

Several restaurants in Tomball and Magnolia are having to adjust their business operations as social distancing practices take shape. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Stay up to date on how businesses across the Greater Houston area are adapting to coronavirus

Find local businesses and nonprofits to support as they grapple with coronavirus-related restrictions through our area guides.

Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon and a representative from the sheriff's office said they hope to not have to arrest anyone for disobeying coronavirus-related orders. (Courtesy Fotolia)
'Gain compliance without arrest': Montgomery County law enforcement urges voluntary compliance to contain coronavirus

“If violations are observed, our first action is to educate them that they are not in compliance with these orders,” a representative said.

United Way of Greater Houston and Greater Houston Community Foundation launched the Greater Houston COVID-19 Recovery Fund with a focus on supporting those services that provide access to food, health care, shelter, utility assistance, transportation, and more in Harris, Fort Bend, Waller, and Montgomery counties. (Courtesy YMCA of Greater Houston)
With $1 million starting gift from Houston Endowment, new COVID-19 recovery fund looks to address critical needs

A new recovery fund has been launched to help those in critical need because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Back to top