The order, carried out by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas Historical Commission, affects several parks and sites in the Greater Houston area and will cause them to close beginning 5 p.m. April 7. The sites can reopen at the direction of the governor, according to the release.
Here are some state parks and historic sites in and around the Greater Houston area that will close to the public due to Abbott's order.
- Huntsville State Park, 565 Park Road 40 W., Huntsville
- Lake Livingston State Park, 300 Park Road 65, Livingston
- Sheldon Lake State Park, 14140 Garrett Road, Houston
- Battleship Texas State Historic Site, 3523 Independence Parkway S., LaPorte
- Brazos Bend State Park, 21901 FM 762, Needville
- Stephen F. Austin State Park, Park Road 38, San Felipe
- Galveston Island State Park, 14901 FM 3005, Galveston
- Fanthrop Inn State Historic Site, 579 S. Main St., Anderson
- San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site, 220 Second St., San Felipe
- San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site, 3523 Independence Parkway S., La Porte
- Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site, 23400 Park Road 12, Washington