Within the seven ZIP codes that make up Community Impact Newspaper's Lake Houston-area coverage, 14,015 people filed for unemployment between March 18-April 18, according to TWC data. The Atascocita area, or ZIP code 77346, has the highest number of claims with 2,930 claims but the third-highest percentage of the total population at 4.44% of residents.
Meanwhile, the Humble area, or ZIP code 77338, has the highest percentage of residents who filed for unemployment at 5.52% of residents. The ZIP code has 2,363 claims.
The east Kingwood area, or ZIP code 77345, has 786 claims—the fewest number of unemployment claims among the seven ZIP codes. Although the 77345 ZIP code also has the smallest population at 28,804 people, its claims account for only 2.73% of residents, according to American Community Survey's 2018 five-year population estimates.
Here are unemployment claims for seven Lake Houston-area ZIP codes based on April 29 data:
- 77044: 2,076 claims, or 4.52% of residents (45,885 population)
- 77396: 2,539 claims, or 4.39% of residents (57,775 population)
- 77346: 2,930 claims, or 4.44% of residents (65,967 population)
- 77338: 2,363 claims, or 5.52% of residents (42,787 population)
- 77365: 1,528 claims, or 4.39% of residents (34,781 population)
- 77339: 1,793 claims, or 4.35% of residents (41,205 population)
- 77345: 786 claims, or 2.73% of residents (28,804 population)
Click here to view the TWC's ZIP code map. Individuals in search of a job can visit the TWC's website, workintexas.com, for job opportunities.