All KISD staff will receive a 1% annual increase to their salary as well as a 1% annual lump sum payment in December for a total increase of 2%, according to the plan presented by Brian Schuss, KISD’s chief human resources officer.
Schuss says this equates to an approximately $660 increase to teachers’ annual salaries along with another $660 lump sum payment in December, for a total increase of $1,320 to teachers’ salaries.
The 2020-21 raises will be calculated based on the midpoint of an individual job category hiring schedule, Schuss said.
Last year, KISD staff saw up to an 8% increase in annual compensation because of state House Bill 3, the 86th legislative session's school finance reform law.
Schuss said KISD—similar to districts across the Greater Houston area that are offering between 0-2% annual salary increases—is cautious of offering higher salary increases because of the uncertainty the coronavirus pandemic may have on the state budget.
“We want to do everything we can for our employees, but with the uncertain times that we're in and hearing that we're looking at potential budget cuts next year, yes, that is what started driving the conversation [for these salary increases],” Schuss said.
The board also approved additional changes to the district’s compensation plans, including increased academic stipend amounts and a $5 increase to the substitute daily rate.
The substitute pay rate schedule ranges from $85 per day $180 per day depending on the substitute’s assignment, their academic degrees and the length of time of the assignment, according Katy ISD’s website.