Here's what Houstonians should know about National School Choice Week, Jan. 21-27

Advocates rally in Austin during National School Choice Week 2017.

There are more than 32,000 events planned across the nation for National School Choice Week, Jan. 21-27, and nearly 4,000 of those are set to take place in Texas. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has also officially declared the week of Jan. 21 School Choice Week in Texas.

During National School Choice Week, schools, homeschool groups, organizations and individuals work to raise awareness of the different K-12 education options available to families—traditional public schools, public charter schools, public magnet schools, private schools, online learning and homeschooling.

"As so many parents know, one size simply doesn't fit all when it comes to education,” Abbott said in a video posted yesterday. “Many students are in schools that simply don't fit their needs, and parents often find themselves powerless to do anything about it. As governor, I am committed to improving our education system and to ensuring that no child is stuck in a failing school.”

Hundreds of events are planned throughout the week in Houston, including the state’s official flagship event, "Stronger Together, A Celebration of School Choice." More than 2,500 students, parents, teachers and community leaders are expected to gather at Minute Maid Park, 501 Crawford St., Houston, from 10 a.m.-noon this Saturday, Jan. 27.

Attendees can learn about various Houston-area schools, meet the Astros mascot and run the bases on the field. Educator and author Steve Perry will be the featured guest speaker, and local teachers, leaders and parents will share their stories.

For more information and to see a comprehensive list of events planned in the area, visit www.schoolchoiceweek.com/map-event.
By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

The annual report indicates 15 businesses are in negotiations to relocate to The Woodlands. (Andrew Christman/Community Impact Newspaper)
The Woodlands Area Economic Development Partnership report indicates 5-year high for potential new businesses

The 15 businesses that are in negotiations could potentially bring in around 1,800 new jobs to the area

One event to attend this weekend is City of Sugar Land’s Annual Christmas Tree Lighting. (Courtesy Canva)
7 events to attend in Sugar Land, Missouri City this weekend, Dec. 3-5

Looking for something to do in Sugar Land or Missouri City this weekend? Check out the weekend guide.

One event to attend this weekend is the Katy Old Fashioned Christmas Event. (Courtesy Canva)
5 events in Katy this weekend, Dec. 3-5

Looking for something to do in Katy this weekend? Check out the weekend guide.

Zoo Lights is a light show within the Houston Zoo that happens every year. (Courtesy Houston Zoo Lights)
9 holiday light displays to see in the Greater Houston area

Check out these nine free and ticketed displays to see through December and January in the Houston area.

Mendocino Farms, a fast casual restaurant known for its wide-ranging and seasonally inspired menu options is slated to open in the M-K-T Heights development Dec. 14. (Courtesy Mendocino Farms)
Mendocino Farms set for Dec. 14 opening in the Heights

A fast-casual restaurant known for its wide-ranging and seasonally inspired menu options is slated to open in the M-K-T Heights development Dec. 14.

One suggest improvement in the plan includes adding outdoor dining and shaded seating in downtown Montgomery. (Screenshot courtesy city of Montgomery)
City of Montgomery approves visionary plan for downtown

Montgomery City Council approved a comprehensive downtown master plan Nov. 9 to improve parking, pedestrian experiences and streetscapes. The plan includes a variety of projects up to 10 years out, totaling more than $12.25 million.

2423 Dryden Road, Houston: Located in the West University Place area, this home features an updated kitchen, bathrooms, fixtures and a roof installed in 2020. The home additionally features a living area, study and a fourth bedroom on the first floor, with an en suite in the primary bedroom. Additional features include hardwood floors, quartz countertops and stainless appliances. 4 bed, 3 full bath/2,720 sq. ft. Sold for $1,082,001-$1,242,000 on Nov. 12. (Courtesy Houston Association of Realtors)
Bellaire, Meyerland, West University Place real estate: See some of the properties that sold in November 2021

Check out the homes that sold in Bellaire, Meyerland and West University Place in November.

Several Texas police departments received $7,500 to be used for purchasing and strengthening K-9 units. (Jishnu Nair/Community Impact Newspaper)
League City, Tomball, Magnolia among Texas police departments receiving K-9 grants

The departments received $7,500 to be used for purchasing and strengthening K-9 units.

Brazoria County continues to trend down in average new COVID-19 cases reported throughout November. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
New single-day COVID-19 cases in Brazoria County continue to trend down through end of November, data shows

Brazoria County continues to trend down in average new COVID-19 cases reported throughout November.

Chipotle Mexican Grill will celebrate its one-year anniversary at Valley Ranch Town Center in New Caney on Dec. 9. (Courtesy Chipotle Mexican Grill)
Chipotle Mexican Grill set to celebrate 1-year anniversary in New Caney

Chipotle Mexican Grill will celebrate its one-year anniversary at Valley Ranch Town Center in New Caney on Dec. 9.

Tomball City Council approved a development agreement with Lovett Industrial for 240 acres at Hwy. 249, Rocky Road Nov. 29. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
CI TEXAS ROUNDUP: Tomball City Council approves development of 240 acres at Hwy. 249, Rocky Road; JLB Eatery coming soon to Katy and more top news

Take a look at the top five trending stories across Community Impact Newspaper’s coverage areas in Texas as of Dec. 1.

Orthotex Smile Specialists will open a new orthodontist office in Conroe by February. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Orthotex Smile Specialists bringing new location to Conroe in February

Orthotex Smile Specialists plans to open a new location at 11133 I-45 S., Conroe, by Feb. 1.