Applications to file for one of three positions on the Cy-Fair ISD school board opened July 17, and those interested in running may file through Aug. 16. The election is scheduled for Nov. 2, and victors will serve a four-year term.
Trustees in Places 5, 6 and 7 will be on the ballot. These seats are held by John Ogletree, Don Ryan and Bob Covey, respectively.
Candidates wanting to run in the upcoming election can submit an application at the CFISD Instructional Support Center, 10300 Jones Road, Houston, in the superintendent’s office. The office is open Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m.-5:30 p.m. and is closed on Fridays.
Applications can also be mailed to PO Box 692003, Houston, TX 77269, or emailed or faxed to [email protected].
According to the district, candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements to file:
- be a U.S. citizen;
- be at least 18 years old by the first day of the term;
- not have been deemed mentally incapacitated by a final judgment of a court;
- not have been convicted of a felony from which they have not been pardoned;
- have lived in Texas for at least a full year and in the school district for at least six months; and
- be registered to vote in the territory from which the office is elected.
The following candidates have already filed for the Nov. 2 election:
- John Ogletree is the senior pastor at First Metropolitan Church in Cy-Fair and has served on the board since 2004.
- Courtney Spradley, who works in staffing, has filed to face Ogletree in the upcoming election
- Don Ryan is the owner of a local business, Cy-Fair Insurance Group, and was first elected to the CFISD board in 2000.
- Ryan Irving is a senior at the University of Houston. He ran for a CFISD school board position that was ultimately won by Gilbert Sarabia in November 2019.
- Bob Covey, retired vice president of sales for American Alloy Steel, has served on the board since 2005.
- Victor Hebert, a retired university professor, has filed to face Covey in the upcoming election.
- Michael Perez, an insurance agent, has filed to compete in the race for Position 7.
Visit www.cfisd.net to learn more about the board of trustees and the Nov. 2 election.