1. Joe Duong, owner of The Shack Burger Resort, partnered with Daniel Wagner to open Melt, a gourmet grilled cheese restaurant at 14030 Telge Road, Cypress this July. Melt features sandwiches with a variety of cheeses and distinct combinations, including the Ike Pike, made with blackberry jam, Swiss cheese and thick cut bacon. All bread is freshly baked by the Hoston-based Slow Dough Bread Company. 832-653-2150. www.facebook.com/meltgourmetgrilledcheese
2. After announcing the closing of Rockwell Grill late this year, owners Melissa Morris and Eddie Jackson have since begun working with renowned Food Network personality Eddie Jackson on their new venture. Rosehill Beer Garden will hold a soft opening at the end of January and celebrate a grand opening event during the Super Bowl at 14540 Cypress Rosehill Road, Cypress. Children will be able to enjoy a shaded playground and games on site, and diverse food trucks will offer something for everyone’s taste, they said. The restaurant will host food and craft beer pairings, special events and catered private events.
3. Koala Kolache hosted its grand opening in June at 17415 FM 529, Houston. The kolache shop has a unique day-to-day menu and switches out interesting creations with flavors and fillings, including jalapeno popper, Philly cheesesteak, pulled pork and cinnamon toast crunch. The shop is closed on Monday and often sells out before closing time. Diners with a sweet tooth can order kolache creations that include ice cream and doughnuts. 281-859-0883. www.koalakolache.com
4. After a strong year of business, owners of Jesse’s Country Cooking decided to move forward with expansion plans at their Jones Road location this spring. The plans, which will double the space of the restaurant, are nearing completion and is expected to open to diners in January. The eatery’s menu covers breakfast and lunch and various specials are rotated in throughout the week. 281-517-5103
5. Jaxton’s Bistro + Bar officially opened May 28 at the Boardwalk at Towne Lake, 9945 Barker Cypress Road, Ste. 104, Cypress. Owner Jason Howard, who previously worked as a maître d’ at Tony’s, named the restaurant after his son, Jaxton. The menu focuses on Italian and French cuisine and offers a patio view of the lakefront property. 832-653-2297. www.jaxtonsbistro.com
6. An Israeli burger concept, Burgerim, is set to open early next year at the Boardwalk at Towne Lake, 9945 Barker Cypress Road, Ste. 129, Cypress. The first of its kind in Texas, the franchise offers 2.8-ounce mini-burgers with several order options: duo ($9.95), trio ($12.95) and the party box ($44.95), which comes with 16 patties. Burgers can be customized with a variety of toppings and sauces. Unusual topping choices—such as sunny side up eggs, pineapples and sauteed mushrooms—give customers thousands of possible burger combinations. The menu includes chicken wings, salads and sandwiches, and the Boardwalk location will also serve beer and wine. www.burgerim.com/houston
7. Breakfast Brunch Cafe, which opened on Fry Road in March, has expanded to a second location in October at the Boardwalk at Towne Lake, 9955 Barker Cypress Road, Ste. 110, Cypress. Breakfast dishes on the menu include eggs Benedict, beignets and biscuits and gravy. Lunch offerings include truffle fries, burgers, wraps and salads. 281-246-1066. www.bbcboardwalk.com
8. The owners of Marvino’s Italian Kitchen and Alicia’s Mexican Grille are bringing an artisanal cafe and bakery at 24002 Hwy. 290, Cypress. Galliano’s will feature a coffee bar, gelato and made-from-scratch menu items for breakfast, lunch, brunch and light dinner. The restaurant will also offer wine and beer by the glass. The owners from the Herrera Group settled on the name Galliano’s in honor of owner David Herrera’s two granddaughters: Gabrielle and Alliana. Galliano’s is expected to open in early 2017.
9. Locatelli’s opened this summer at 12904 Fry Road, Cypress, and is the first of the four to offer a full bar menu. Locatelli’s touts a menu of customizable pizzas with signature sauces, appetizers and salads. Owners Adam and Katie Womack said, after 13 years in the community, they hope to double their business. 281-256-6200. www.locatellis.com
10. Co-owners Gwen, Sarah and Richard Franke opened Murdoch’s Backyard Pub in March at 18541 Mueschke Road, Cypress. The eatery serves a selection of burgers, sandwiches and snacks as well as house-made sausage and locally growth vegetables. Owners said they continue to try to be innovative with new menu items, and hope to eventually install an on-site garden to use to grow more ingredients. 281-516-9753. www.murdochsbackyard.com