Drivers are advised to stay off the roads if at all possible. The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, or METRO, has closed all HOV and HOT lanes at this time. Icy conditions have been reported at the following locations:
Updated 11:44 a.m.
All overpasses on Westpark Tollway will be shutting down due to weather conditions. All overpasses on the Grand Parkway north US-90 are closing at this time.
Updated 10:40 a.m.
ICE HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS, USE CAUTION:
- 290 at Cypress Rosehill Road
- 2600 W. Beltway 8 S.
- Hwy. 290 eastbound at West Beltway 8 northbound
- Hwy. 249 northbound at Northpointe Boulevard
- Hwy. 290 at Hegar Road
- I-45 at the Grand Parkway westbound
- The Grand Parkway (all overpasses)
- I-45 north at Louetta Road
Additional icy roads reported include the following:
- I-10 eastbound at Pin Oak Road in Fort Bend County, three opposing mainlanes Verified at 10:03 a.m.
- I-10 Katy westbound at the Grand Parkway exit ramp Verified at 9:56 a.m.
- I-45 northbound at Calvary Road in Montgomery County Verified at 8:13 a.m.
- I-45 northbound at FM-2854/Montgomery in Montgomery County, all mainlanes Verified at 8:58 a.m.
- I-45 northbound at FM-2854/Montgomery in Montgomery County, all mainlanes Verified at 8:57 a.m.
- I-45 northbound at Longstreet Road in Montgomery County Verified at 8:10 a.m.
- I-45 northbound at Shepherd Hills Road in Montgomery County Verified at 8:13 a.m.
- I-69 northbound at FM 1314 in Montgomery County, two frontage lanes Verified at 7:33 a.m.
- Hwy. 290 northwest eastbound at Beltway 8 West exit ramp, left interchange ramp and right interchange ramp Verified at 9:17 a.m.
- Hwy. 290 westbound at FM 1098 in Waller County Verified at 5:57 a.m.
- Hwy. 242 westbound at San Jacinto River in Montgomery County Verified at 9:10 a.m.
- Hwy. 249 Tomball Parkway southbound at North Sam Houston Tollway exit ramp, left interchange ramp and right interchange ramp Verified at 8:53 a.m.
- The Grand Parkway West northbound at I-10 Katy exit ramp Verified at 10:06 a.m.
- Beltway 8 North eastbound at I-69 Eastex exit ramp Verified at 9:46 a.m.
- FM 2432 eastbound at FM 1484 in Montgomery County Verified at 9:26 a.m.
- North Sam Houston Tollway westbound at Hwy. 249 Tomball Parkway exit ramp Verified at 9:38 a.m.
- West Sam Houston Tollway southbound at Hwy. 290 Northwest exit ramp, left interchange ramp and right interchange ramp Verified at 9:19 a.m.
- The Grand Parkway flyover to Westpark Tollway is closed due to ice
- FM 1097 at Lake Conroe
- Beltway 8 westbound at Fallbrook Drive
- Ice reported at 2504 Valley Manor Drive between Kingsway Court and Laurel Garden Drive
- Ice on roadways seen on The Grand Parkway at Clay Road (northbound exit ramp)
The following bridges in Towne Lake have started to form ice:
- 9900 Towne Lake Parkway
- 18400 Tuckerton Road
- 15500 E. Hamilton Hills Drive
- 9500 Greenhouse Road
- 10900 Towne Lake Parkway
- 11700 Greenhouse Road (Cypress Creek Bridge)
- 18100 Cypress N. Houston Road
If drivers see a roadway that has ice on it, they are asked to call 311 or 713-837-0311. Houston Public Works will dispatch a truck with chat rock to provide traction. Please do not call 911 to report slick roads. Ice on roadways can also be reported to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office’s Motorist Assistance Line: 713-225-5627.
Motorists are being advised to stay at home, if possible. If motorists have to drive, they can remember these tips from the Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management:
- People should always buckle seatbelts.
- Turn on vehicle lights to increase visibility to other motorists.
- Brake gently to avoid skidding. If the vehicle’s wheels start to lock up, ease off the brake.
- Do not use cruise control or overdrive on icy roads.
- Be especially careful on bridges and overpasses.
- Motorists should know their vehicle and how it operates. Not all cars respond the same to slippery roads.
From ABC 13.