Conroe City Council discussed possible changes to the city’s tree ordinance during a council workshop July 7. Chief Building Official John Mangiameli presented council with a number of areas to be improved upon, but clarified he was not offering a list of proposed changes.
There are no mandatory tree preservation zones in Conroe, with the exception of an 18-foot buffer zone between residential and commercial developments, according to Mangiameli. This zone does not apply to residential developments next to each other, he said.
“That’s an issue,” Mayor Pro Tem Raymond McDonald said.
The council also discussed a tree subcommittee on the developers committee. The subcommittee is made up of developers and Council Member Todd Yancey, Mangiameli said. Council Member Marsha Porter said a citizen should be on the subcommittee as well.
Earlier in the workshop, multiple residents expressed their concern with a new development proposed behind Wroxton and Forest Estates. Amongst other issues, residents said they were worried the subdivision would result in all the trees being cut down.
“People are tired of trees disappearing, they’re tired of small lots, they’re tired of bare streets, and I think they’re all kind of connected,” Porter said.