New spin on a festival classic
Honey-baked turkey leg: Created by the Imhoff family of Renaissance Catering, the turkey leg will be served throughout the village in shoppes No. 11, 50, 408 and 414.
Bourbon-molasses turkey leg: A new twist on the traditional turkey leg, this delicacy is created by Sherwood Forest Foods owner Matt Basse. The turkey leg is served in the Enchanted Forest area in shoppe No. 89.
Returning fan favorites
The following is a list of foods commonly identified as top festival favorites on annual attendee surveys.
• Scotch eggs prepared by Queens Pantry
• Steak on a Stake prepared by Tudor Kitchen
• The Royal Hamburg prepared by Black Forest Inn
• Empanadas prepared by La Fiesta Spanish Foods
• Baklava prepared by Greek Agora
• Pierogis prepared by Polonia Polish Foods
• Pizza prepared by Italian Village
The festival offers health-conscious foods for visitors.
• Greek salad with chicken offered at Greek Agora
• Chef salad with chopped beef or pulled pork offered at Hacienda del Jorge
• Fresh fruit salad offered at Don Felipe's and Done Felipe's Casa del Sol
• Handmade cabbage rolls offered at Polonia
Vegetarian and vegan options:
• Veggie bagel and veggie wraps offered at Queens Pantry
• Black bean and spinach wraps offered at La Fiesta
• Veggie pitas offered at Greek Agora
• Spinach quesadilla offered at Don Felipe's
Fun food events
The festival offers a few events that highlight local chefs and new creations.
The King's Feast: The King's Feast package ($119) includes festival admission, two hours of entertainment, unlimited portions of a six-course meal served with wine, mead and ale as well as a commemorative drinking glass. Reservations are recommended.
Be the Gyro Hero: During the Heroes and Villains weekend (Nov. 11-12), the festival hosts a gyro eating contest in search of the Gyro Hero.
Royal Chef Showdown (Oct. 17): the festival hosts the finals for the Royal Chef Showdown. The showdown started early in the year with a call to professional chefs and cooks to create new festival food. Nine chefs were selected to participate in the final showdown Oct. 17. The contest will be judged by area food writers and special guest judge chef Darren McGrady, former chef to Queen Elizabeth II and Diana, Princess of Wales.
To see more food options and festival information, visit www.texrenfest.com.