Sundog Yoga Studios: Studio creates tranquil place for new and veteran yoga practitioners

Sundog Yoga Studios owner Stefini Elkins can still remember when she first walked into a yoga studio. There was strange music playing, dim lights and an instructor using foreign words, she said.

“I felt this ... feeling of strength and peace. And I had never felt that before,” Elkins said. “And I see that when people come out.”

For almost two years, Elkins said Sundog Yoga Studios has been creating a place of tranquility for the Montgomery area.

Elkins said she opened the studio Oct. 1, 2018, after moving from Austin about three years ago. She said yoga is still fairly new to the Montgomery area.

Yoga consists of various poses and stretches to promote flexibility, strength and wellness. Elkins said many people may think yoga is a religion, but she said the practice is more of a philosophy or technique that can “complement anything that you believe.”

She said some people may also believe yoga is too rigidly focused on poses.

“They want to be more flexible ... and they stay because of other reasons,” Elkins said.

Yoga has many benefits, from mental clarity to physical strength and wellness, Elkins said.

Elkins offers 12 classes that can welcome beginners or experts at any level, and other teachers offer additional classes or specialized therapies. Elkins said participants often become “a family,” supporting and reaching out to each other.

As the studio nears its two-year anniversary, Elkins said she wants to bring even more members into the studio. Yet even as her studio grows, Elkins said she has always focused on creating a community.

“I see people walk through the door, and they literally exhale,” Elkins said. “It’s just walking through that doorway and knowing where they are and how we’re going to take care of them.”
By Andy Li
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now works as the reporter for the Conroe/Montgomery edition of Community Impact Newspaper.

Lone Star Groundwater Conservation District, which regulates groundwater usage in Montgomery County, is conducting a subsidence study focused on Montgomery County. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Phase 2 of subsidence study in Montgomery County underway

The study will help guide groundwater policy decisions, LSGCD says.

Texas Central has signed a $16 billion contract with Webuild to lead the civil construction team that will build the train. (Rendering courtesy Texas Central)
Texas Central signs $16B construction contract for high-speed rail project

Texas Central could be one step closer to starting construction.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas issued a call for Texans to conserve energy June 14. (Iain Oldman/Community Impact Newspaper)
ERCOT asks Texans to conserve energy with generation outages 2.5 times higher than normal

"This is unusual for this early in the summer season," said Woody Rickerson, ERCOT vice president of grid planning and operations, in a news release.

League City's Helen Hall Library History Club hosted an event related to Juneteenth on June 7. The holiday honors Union Gen. Gordon Granger coming to Galveston in 1865 to announce the liberation of enslaved people in Texas. (Graphic by Justin Howell/Community Impact Newspaper)
Celebrate Juneteenth in Galveston with a movie screening, parade and more on June 17, 19

The Juneteenth Legacy Project, which aims to recontextualize the day and properly communicate its story and relevance, is hosting or advertising numerous events over the course of the holiday weekend.

Missouri City resident Jackie Ward became the chief nursing officer at Texas Children’s Hospital in January. (Photo by Michael Carr Photography, graphic by Chase Brooks/Community Impact Newspaper)
Q&A: Jackie Ward, Texas Children's Hospital chief nursing officer, discusses career, nursing during COVID-19

Prior to becoming chief nursing officer, Missouri City resident Jackie Ward worked as an oncology nurse and in a variety of leadership roles at Texas Children's Hospital.

The Montgomery County Animal Shelter took in over 660 animals since June 1. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery County Animal Shelter at 'critical capacity point'

The shelter is waiving adoption fees, and all adoptable pets have been vaccinated, dewormed, microchipped and spayed or neutered.

Taco Bueno sells tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos and more unique items, including the Muchaco, a taco made with a soft pita-like shell. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Taco Bueno coming to Katy and more Houston-area news

Read the latest business and community news from the Houston area.

The hotel, located in Grand Central Park, will include a convention center, pool, fitness center and ballroom. (Rendering screenshot via Conroe City Council livestream)
Conroe’s new hotel and convention center will be a Hyatt

The project has been in the works for years, but the hotel brand had not yet been named.

Before The Table at Madeley opens in December, owner Frank Jackson looks to the community to write or create art on pieces of wood to be added to the ceiling of the main building during construction. (Courtesy The Table at Madeley)
The Table at Madeley, downtown Conroe's first food truck park, breaks ground June 15

The Table at Madeley plans to open in December with four permanent food trucks and a large stage for concerts and public events.

Sen. Brandon Creighton announced his re-election campaign for Texas Senate District 4 on June 10. (Courtesy Brandon Creighton)
'Unfinished business remains': Brandon Creighton aims at re-election for Texas Senate District 4

Creighton announced his plans to run for re-election to serve his third term for the 88th Texas Legislature.

Economist Elliot Eisenberg spoke about the economic recovery post-pandemic, saying this year's GDP growth will be the best since the 1950s. (Brooke Ontiveros/Community Impact Newspaper)
Economist explains housing demand, price booms in Texas, Greater Houston area

Eisenberg explained why home prices are rising at a June 9 Greater Houston Builders Association luncheon.