FM 1097 widening, Milltown area improvements: Check out 5 transportation projects in Conroe

Project 1-4 are mapped here. (Kaitlin Schmidt/Community Impact Newspaper)

The Market Street roadway extension is mapped here. (Kaitlin Schmidt/Community Impact Newspaper)
Ongoing and upcoming transportation projects in the city of Conroe are highlighted in the maps above.

Ongoing projects

1. East Wally Wilkerson Parkway and Sgt. Ed Holcomb Boulevard traffic lights

The Conroe Industrial Development Corp.’s project to install highway traffic signals to meet Texas Department of Transportation standards is ongoing. The project is at (A) Sgt. Ed Holcomb Boulevard at Camelot Street, (B) East Wally Wilkerson Parkway at Conroe Park West Drive and (C) Pollock Drive. The contractor is currently working at Pollok.

Cost: $610,862

Timeline: January-June

Funding source: Conroe Industrial Development Corp.

2. Milltown area improvements

Contractor Smith & Co. has completed curb and gutter work in a project to overlay about 2 miles of Sandra Street around Milltown Park and improve roadside drainage.

Cost: $2.4 million

Timeline: August 2019-July

Funding source: city of Conroe

3. FM 1097 widening

TxDOT is acquiring the utilities and rights of way to widen FM 1097 from two to four lanes with a continuous left turn lane.

Cost: $15.1 million

Timeline: October 2018-third quarter 2020

Funding sources: federal, TxDOT

4. FM 830 repair

The completion date for TxDOT's work to repair the base and pavement markings of FM 830 has been pushed back from winter 2019 to the first quarter of 2020 due to asphalt production.

Cost: $2.5 million

Timeline: June 2019-first quarter 2020

Funding source: TxDOT

Market Street roadway extension

The city of Conroe received bids March 5 for work to construct a four-lane concrete road from the Market Place Drive cul-de-sac to Plantation Drive. The work includes constructing sidewalks on both sides of the road and the addition of a left turn lane on Plantation Drive.

Timeline: March-August

Cost: $900,000

Funding source: city of Conroe
By Andy Li
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now works as the reporter for the Conroe/Montgomery edition of Community Impact Newspaper.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas issued a call for Texans to conserve energy June 14. (Iain Oldman/Community Impact Newspaper)
ERCOT asks Texans to conserve energy with generation outages 2.5 times higher than normal

"This is unusual for this early in the summer season," said Woody Rickerson, ERCOT vice president of grid planning and operations, in a news release.

League City's Helen Hall Library History Club hosted an event related to Juneteenth on June 7. The holiday honors Union Gen. Gordon Granger coming to Galveston in 1865 to announce the liberation of enslaved people in Texas. (Graphic by Justin Howell/Community Impact Newspaper)
Celebrate Juneteenth in Galveston with a movie screening, parade and more on June 17, 19

The Juneteenth Legacy Project, which aims to recontextualize the day and properly communicate its story and relevance, is hosting or advertising numerous events over the course of the holiday weekend.

The Montgomery County Animal Shelter took in over 660 animals since June 1. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery County Animal Shelter at 'critical capacity point'

The shelter is waiving adoption fees, and all adoptable pets have been vaccinated, dewormed, microchipped and spayed or neutered.

Taco Bueno sells tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos and more unique items, including the Muchaco, a taco made with a soft pita-like shell. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Taco Bueno coming to Katy and more Houston-area news

Read the latest business and community news from the Houston area.

The hotel, located in Grand Central Park, will include a convention center, pool, fitness center and ballroom. (Rendering screenshot via Conroe City Council livestream)
Conroe’s new hotel and convention center will be a Hyatt

The project has been in the works for years, but the hotel brand had not yet been named.

Before The Table at Madeley opens in December, owner Frank Jackson looks to the community to write or create art on pieces of wood to be added to the ceiling of the main building during construction. (Courtesy The Table at Madeley)
The Table at Madeley, downtown Conroe's first food truck park, breaks ground June 15

The Table at Madeley plans to open in December with four permanent food trucks and a large stage for concerts and public events.

Sen. Brandon Creighton announced his re-election campaign for Texas Senate District 4 on June 10. (Courtesy Brandon Creighton)
'Unfinished business remains': Brandon Creighton aims at re-election for Texas Senate District 4

Creighton announced his plans to run for re-election to serve his third term for the 88th Texas Legislature.

Economist Elliot Eisenberg spoke about the economic recovery post-pandemic, saying this year's GDP growth will be the best since the 1950s. (Brooke Ontiveros/Community Impact Newspaper)
Economist explains housing demand, price booms in Texas, Greater Houston area

Eisenberg explained why home prices are rising at a June 9 Greater Houston Builders Association luncheon.

Single-family home sales in the Houston area surged 48.2% percent compared to May 2020, when real estate was in the process of recovering from coronavirus-related lockdowns. (Courtesy Houston Association of Realtors)
Houston-area home sales in May up nearly 50% versus last year

Single-family home sales were up 48.2% compared to a year ago, with 9,702 units sold versus 6,546 a year earlier.

Montgomery Self Storage has six locations across the Greater Houston area. (Courtesy Montgomery Self Storage)
Montgomery Self Storage acquires, plans to expand Magnolia, Conroe properties

"We believe the future is bright for Montgomery County, and we will continue to invest, improve and expand our locations to meet the demands of this rapidly growing area," said Andrew Pena Jr., managing partner of Montgomery Self Storage, in the release.

Gov. Greg Abbott, center signed Senate Bills 2 and 3 into law June 8 in response to the devastating winter storm last February. (Trent Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Gov. Abbott signs bills to reform ERCOT and weatherize Texas power grid

The bills will go into effect Sept. 1 and aim to reform ERCOT leadership and increase accountability and communication among power agencies.