The Little Acorn: Restaurateur offers healthy, home-cooked food

Owner Terri Walker opened The Little Acorn in January 2019 in Montgomery at the former The Skinny Pig location. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)

The homemade pimento cheese is made with a blend of Gouda, cream cheese, Colby Jack and spices. ($7) (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
The Little Acorn also operates as a full baker, offering gluten-free options such as the vanilla almond cake. ($7 per slice, $35 for whole cake) (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
After alleviating her own ailments through good nutrition, Terri Walker opened The Little Acorn to offer healthy food options to the Montgomery area.

Walker said when she was diagnosed with Celiac disease four years ago, she started cooking gluten-free food with no genetically modified organisms or pesticides.

“I started cooking gluten free, and I was like, ‘This stuff is pretty good,’ because I’ve tasted some stuff that is just like cardboard,” she said.

Walker said she opened The Little Acorn on Jan. 18, 2019 to offer good food and a chance to eat out to those with special dietary needs. In addition to gluten-free eaters, The Little Acorn specializes in ketogenic, paleo, vegan and diabetic diets.

“I have friends that are vegan; I have Celiac’s; my husband’s a redneck—he wants meat and potatoes,” Walker said. “I was like, ‘How can we get all these people together?’”

Some of the most popular dishes at The Little Acorn are the “skinny bowls,” which feature proteins, grains and cheese, and homemade pimento cheese. Walker said she has a sweet tooth and has developed several recipes to make cakes and cookies that are gluten free. She said many customers feel like they have to give up their favorite foods to go gluten free, but she has made several alternatives to these classics.

“We can make nearly everything gluten free, any cake you ate when you were a child,” Walker said.

Unlike other restaurants that serve some gluten-free meals, Walker said there is no chance of cross-contamination in The Little Acorn because there is no flour in the restaurant.

Walker said she partnered with Steve and Jessica Briskman, who run Bigga’s Barbecue, on Aug. 18 to share kitchen and serving space. She said she worked with them to make their food gluten free as well.

“It changed nothing with the flavor of their food. It’s still exactly the same,” Walker said. “I feel like we have a good partnership starting the new year out.”

Creating those good partnerships was the hardest part of The Little Acorn’s opening year, Walker said. She said she has devoted so much energy to the restaurant in addition to her salon and her husband’s construction business.

As the restaurant enters its second year in business, Walker said she hopes to expand to offer dinners, giving customers fancier options. She said she is also going to build an outdoor seating area for live music performances.

“I hope to help a lot of people get to eat who don’t normally get to go out to eat,” Walker said.
SHARE THIS STORY
By Andy Li

Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now covers the Conroe Independent School District, Montgomery City Council and transportation.

Total cases of COVID-19 in the Greater Houston area continue to rise. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Coronavirus case updates: Third city of Houston death reported; Fort Bend County launches testing site

Total cases of COVID-19 in the Greater Houston area continue to rise.

Alvin and Friendswood ISD move to support underserved students as classes start online. (Courtesy Fotolia)
How Houston-area school districts are responding to coronavirus

Here are some updates from the last week on how school districts across the Greater Houston area are adapting during the coronavirus outbreak.

Texas Central plans to start construction of the Texas high-speed rail connecting Houston and Dallas by the end of 2020. (Courtesy Texas Central)
Coronavirus causes layoffs for Texas Central’s high-speed rail project

Texas Central officials announced multiple employees would be laid off March 27 in the wake of a worldwide coronavirus outbreak.

Lone Star College-Kingwood loaned medical supplies to area hospitals March 27. (Photo by Andrew Christman/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lone Star College loans ventilators, protective supplies to area hospitals

Lone Star College-Kingwood has loaned medical supplies to area hospitals to combat coronavirus.

METRO
METRO reduces Park & Ride service, closes HOV lanes; two employees test positive for COVID-19

The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County suspended all Park & Ride routes except those serving the Texas Medical Center, effective March 30.

The SJRA's surface water treatment plant was built as part of its Groundwater Reduction Plan, an effort to make Montgomery County use more surface water. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Texas Supreme Court rules in favor of San Jacinto River Authority on contracts case

The SJRA and Conroe will have to head back to a trial court in Montgomery County on the rate issue.

Brazoria County will issue a "Stay Safe at Home" order. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Here is the latest on news on stay-at-home orders across the Greater Houston area

As counties and cities across the region issue shelter-in-place orders to combat the spread of the coronavirus, find out more information on what they mean for your community in the stories below.

Karen Waldrup (top) and The Soul Rebels (bottom) both had to cancel shows scheduled in Houston due to coronavirus. (Photo illustration by Justin Howell/Community Impact Newspaper)
Houston-area musicians go virtual to play for fans amid coronavirus cancellations of live shows

As non-essential businesses like bars and music venues are forced to close due to coronavirus concerns, musicians find themselves performing for audiences behind computer screens and asking for virtual tips.

The laptops will help students complete online assignments as coronavirus keeps schools closed. (Courtesy Pixabay)
Montgomery ISD preps 680 laptops for students in need

issues remain surrounding WiFi connectivity for some students.

Rep. Kevin Brady, R-The Woodlands, spoke about the CARES Act and his involvement in the package's development March 27. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
Q&A: U.S. Rep. Kevin Brady discusses the passage of the CARES Act

The stimulus package passed through Congress this week and was expected to be signed by President Donald Trump on March 27.

Houston Methodist has been preparing for coronavirus treatment since December, according to Dr. Jason Knight. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Q&A: Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital's chief medical officer talks virus protection, personal health, hospital response plans

Dr. Jason Knight addressed general health questions and the hospital system's preparations for the COVID-19 outbreak.

Back to top