School districts access 2020-21 student growth

As 2020 makes headway, local school districts are combating growing student enrollment and overcrowding at certain schools through bond projects or rezoning.

Several projects from Conroe ISD’s $653.57 million bond—approved in November—are underway. These include Phase 2 construction at Conroe High School, a new junior high school in the Caney Creek feeder zone, a York Junior High School addition, and campus renovations at Creighton Elementary.

York serves one of the district’s most populated areas and is expected to open in August 2021, according to the district. The other three projects are in the design phase.

“York is well overcapacity at this point and growing every day,” CISD Superintendent Curtis Null said.

Willis ISD considers need for bond

Willis ISD created a planning committee in August to review updated student enrollment as well as campus and facility needs for future projected growth, WISD Director of Communications Jamie Fails said.

WISD’s current enrollment is 7,845—an increase of about 400 from this time last year, she said.

If the committee decides a bond is needed, the request will go before the WISD board of trustees at the Feb. 10 meeting, Fails said.

All projects from the $109.5 million bond in 2015 are complete except for Elementary School No. 6, which is in the early stages of preconstruction, Fails said.

The elementary will be located in the district’s fast-growth southwest corner at the end of Longmire Road, she said. Construction will begin in the spring, and the school will open in fall 2021.

Montgomery ISD plans rezoning

Montgomery ISD has no plans to call a bond this year, MISD Superintendent Beau Rees said. However, the district could consider one in the next few years to keep pace with student growth.

The district projects an enrollment growth rate of 2%, or somewhere between 175-200 students, for the 2020-21 school year, Rees said.

“At our current growth rate, the district will need to engage the community with facility needs by 2023-24 school year,” he said.

This year, the district will begin redrawing attendance boundaries for its elementary schools to alleviate overcrowding, he said. As of mid-January, the district is working with its demographer to determine which schools will need adjustments.
SHARE THIS STORY
By Andy Li

Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now covers the Conroe Independent School District, Montgomery City Council and transportation.
By Eva Vigh

Eva Vigh joined Community Impact Newspaper in 2018 as a reporter for Spring and Klein. Prior to this position, she covered upstream oil and gas news for a drilling contractors' association.

Gil Staley, CEO of The Woodlands Economic Development Partnership, discusses changes in employment sectors in The Woodlands at the Economic Outlook Conference. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Economic Outlook Conference takeaways: Health care now top employer in The Woodlands

Health care has risen to the position of top employment sector in The Woodlands region, overtaking energy.

Wendy Graves, assistant superintendent of elementary education, addresses the Montgomery ISD board of trustees Feb. 18. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery ISD plans for state-mandated Texas Reading Academies

All teachers and principals who serve kindergarten through third-grade students must begin Texas Reading Academies training before the 2022-23 school year.

The special meeting Feb. 20 lasted nearly five hours. (Trevor Nolley/Community Impact Newspaper)
San Jacinto River Authority votes to continue Lake Conroe lowering with modifications

The board ultimately voted to change fall lowering while keeping spring lowering the same.

The Cottage Green will open in fall 2020. (Rendering courtesy Palmetto MDR)
The Cottage Green to create rental community in Conroe

The 197 cottage-style homes are available for both downsizers and young people.

Jordan Brooks, market specialist at ALN Apartment Data, speaks at the Houston Apartment Association’s Montgomery County State of the Submarket Breakfast on Feb. 18. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Moderate growth in apartment rent, occupancy on Montgomery County's horizon

Experts: County well-positioned for moderate rent growth, average to above-average apartment occupancy for 2020 and 2021

Cheetos Cheese Pickles from Biggy's (Courtesy Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo)
Cheetos cheese pickles, mac and cheese eggrolls, deep-fried cheesecake: 93 food spots to try during the 2020 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

From tried and true to something new, the food options at this year's Rodeo include classic staples and crazy concoctions.

Lone Star College System has $185 million remaining from its 2014 bond referendum. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lone Star College System updates 2014 bond project progress

Lone Star College System continues to make improvements to campuses through an $485 million bond that passed in 2014.

Conroe ISD trustee John Husbands voiced many concerns about the district's rezoning plan. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Rezoning of The Woodlands, College Park feeder zones fails to pass at Conroe ISD board meeting

The vote resulted in a tie, which meant the proposed rezoning failed.

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas. The Shinkansen trains in Japan will be customized for Texas with no middle seats and additional legroom, company officials announced. (Courtesy Texas Central)
JUST IN: Texas Central gives first glimpse of high-speed train car interior

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas.

The Finding Place will operate as a information center for Grand Central Park. (Courtesy Kaplan Public Relations)
Grand Central Park to open The Finding Place office

The staffed information center allows prospective homeowners to learn more about the homes available and the amenities of the development.

Daniel Pena, David Eason, Clyde Vogel and incumbent Gene DeForest will face each other in the March Republican primaries. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Montgomery County Constable Precinct 2 Republican candidates discuss experience, leadership

Daniel Pena, David Eason, Clyde Vogel and incumbent Gene DeForest will face each other in the March Republican primaries.

Early voting begins Feb. 18 in the 2020 Texas primary. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Republican candidates for Montgomery County Precinct 1 Commissioner talk government spending, flooding

Robert Walker and Billy Graff will face each other in the Republican primary for Montgomery County Commissioner Precinct 1.

Back to top