Conroe Taxidermy: Family-owned business expands, provides services to hunters

Barrett Simpson runs Conroe Taxidermy with his two brothers. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)

After they are cleaned, skins are sewn on to mannequins by taxidermists. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Barrett Simpson’s childhood home has several new installations—snarling lions and elegant antelopes sculpted on an African boab tree, frozen in the poses the workers at Simpson’s Conroe Taxidermy placed them.

Simpson is expanding his workshop, Conroe Taxidermy, into the house, which is located on the same property on Clark Lane in Conroe. Simpson said the new trophy room is expected to be finished in summer 2020 and can show customers options to display their animals.

Simpson runs the workshop with his brothers, Mike and Travis. His father, also named Mike, originally opened the shop more than 50 years ago and retired several years ago.

Simpson said the shop’s customer base is a good mix between simple deer-and-duck hunters and larger, internationally minded hunters.

“If you’re supporting wildlife by buying that hunting license, we like you,” Simpson said.

Simpson said after hunters bring an animal to the workshop, a team removes, salts and cures the skins. After customers decide how they want the animal mounted, taxidermists begin crafting a lifelike replica before the animal is painted to restore any color lost during the tanning process.

“Tanning is a harsh process and ... on thin-haired animals [such as many African animals], it will pull that ... natural pigment off and we have to paint that back on,” Simpson said.

After being painted, the animal is ready to be picked up or mounted. He said the whole process can take about six months.

Although he has encountered some people who are against hunting, Simpson said many people do not realize how committed hunters are to supporting conservation, reserves and parks and preserving natural environments.

“I don’t know any hunter that doesn’t feel for the animal even when he’s harvesting the animal,” Simpson said. “They’re all animal lovers, even though they’re hunters as well. They want it to continue forever; they want that species and that environment to be viable.”
SHARE THIS STORY
By Andy Li

Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now covers the Conroe Independent School District, Montgomery City Council and transportation.

Gil Staley, CEO of The Woodlands Economic Development Partnership, discusses changes in employment sectors in The Woodlands at the Economic Outlook Conference. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Economic Outlook Conference takeaways: Health care now top employer in The Woodlands

Health care has risen to the position of top employment sector in The Woodlands region, overtaking energy.

Wendy Graves, assistant superintendent of elementary education, addresses the Montgomery ISD board of trustees Feb. 18. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery ISD plans for state-mandated Texas Reading Academies

All teachers and principals who serve kindergarten through third-grade students must begin Texas Reading Academies training before the 2022-23 school year.

The special meeting Feb. 20 lasted nearly five hours. (Trevor Nolley/Community Impact Newspaper)
San Jacinto River Authority votes to continue Lake Conroe lowering with modifications

The board ultimately voted to change fall lowering while keeping spring lowering the same.

The Cottage Green will open in fall 2020. (Rendering courtesy Palmetto MDR)
The Cottage Green to create rental community in Conroe

The 197 cottage-style homes are available for both downsizers and young people.

Jordan Brooks, market specialist at ALN Apartment Data, speaks at the Houston Apartment Association’s Montgomery County State of the Submarket Breakfast on Feb. 18. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Moderate growth in apartment rent, occupancy on Montgomery County's horizon

Experts: County well-positioned for moderate rent growth, average to above-average apartment occupancy for 2020 and 2021

Cheetos Cheese Pickles from Biggy's (Courtesy Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo)
Cheetos cheese pickles, mac and cheese eggrolls, deep-fried cheesecake: 93 food spots to try during the 2020 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

From tried and true to something new, the food options at this year's Rodeo include classic staples and crazy concoctions.

Lone Star College System has $185 million remaining from its 2014 bond referendum. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lone Star College System updates 2014 bond project progress

Lone Star College System continues to make improvements to campuses through an $485 million bond that passed in 2014.

Conroe ISD trustee John Husbands voiced many concerns about the district's rezoning plan. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Rezoning of The Woodlands, College Park feeder zones fails to pass at Conroe ISD board meeting

The vote resulted in a tie, which meant the proposed rezoning failed.

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas. The Shinkansen trains in Japan will be customized for Texas with no middle seats and additional legroom, company officials announced. (Courtesy Texas Central)
JUST IN: Texas Central gives first glimpse of high-speed train car interior

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas.

The Finding Place will operate as a information center for Grand Central Park. (Courtesy Kaplan Public Relations)
Grand Central Park to open The Finding Place office

The staffed information center allows prospective homeowners to learn more about the homes available and the amenities of the development.

Daniel Pena, David Eason, Clyde Vogel and incumbent Gene DeForest will face each other in the March Republican primaries. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Montgomery County Constable Precinct 2 Republican candidates discuss experience, leadership

Daniel Pena, David Eason, Clyde Vogel and incumbent Gene DeForest will face each other in the March Republican primaries.

Early voting begins Feb. 18 in the 2020 Texas primary. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Republican candidates for Montgomery County Precinct 1 Commissioner talk government spending, flooding

Robert Walker and Billy Graff will face each other in the Republican primary for Montgomery County Commissioner Precinct 1.

Back to top