Fabulous Pho: Restaurateur brings Vietnamese classics to Conroe

Owner Thinh Le opened Fabulous Pho in 2018. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper)
Vermicelli ($10.49) is a thin rice noodle, served here with a shredded lettuce, cucumber, carrots, fried onions, an egg roll, a choice of protein and fish sauce. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper)
Spring rolls ($.49) are wrapped in a clear rice paper and made with rice noodles, lettuce and a protein. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper)
For almost a year and a half, Fabulous Pho has been diversifying the tastes of the Conroe area with its authentic Vietnamese food.

Owner Thinh Le said he moved to Conroe to be with his fiancee, leaving behind him a long career in the casino business. Le said he was able to convert a lot of the existing equipment of a former restaurant at 1406 N. Loop 336 W., Ste. A, Conroe, to open his new restaurant May 21, 2018.

“I put everything I had in this,” Le said. “This is something that I always wanted to do. It’s very challenging. I didn’t know it was that complicated. ... We put in a lot of time.”

Le said one of the biggest challenges has been introducing the area to the Vietnamese cuisine. Le said almost 70% of people who come to his restaurant have never had Vietnamese food before. Plus, he said, people who like Vietnamese food are usually more likely to drive to Houston to get it.

“A Vietnamese restaurant in Conroe is pretty new for the majority of people—pretty new food for a lot of people,” Le said.

Part of that lack of familiarity came up in his hiring. Le said many workers had never made food like his before and required a lot of training. It became so difficult to find workers that Le even let employees live with him for a time when they could not find housing.

As for his customers, Le said he is waiting to bring more classic Vietnamese dishes to the menu until he has a stronger customer base that is more familiar with this genre of food.

“In the future ... I might do a special of the week, so people can learn and people can see if they like it,” Le said.•The restaurant’s most popular dish is its titular pho, a traditional Vietnamese dish consisting of a broth, rice noodles, meat and herbs.

“Everything is about the soup,” Le said. “There’s many different ways people cook pho. Here, we cook pho from scratch. From the bone. We cook over 12 hours.”

In addition to several Asian classics, such as egg rolls, stir fry and fried rice, Le said he revamped the menu six months ago to include some more American food, such as chicken wings, and a kids menu featuring chicken nuggets.

As the Conroe area begins to familiarize itself with his cuisine, Le said he is hopeful for a future with a loyal following.

“This restaurant right here and our food—I think we’re going to have a really good future,” Le said. “I have a very good feeling about this place.”

Fabulous Pho, 1406 N. Loop 336 W., Ste. A, Conroe. 936-703-5356. www.facebook.com/fabulouspho
By Andy Li
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now works as the reporter for the Conroe/Montgomery edition of Community Impact Newspaper.

The Texas Renaissance Festival returns to Todd Mission for its 46th season Oct. 3. (Courtesy Texas Renaissance Festival)
Texas Renaissance Festival to offer limited number of date-specific tickets July 18; face masks encouraged during 46th season

Should the festival season be canceled amid the coronavirus pandemic, all tickets will be honored for the 2021 festival season, or guests may request a refund, according to festival information.

Eric Yollick and Vince Santini were the two Republican candidates vying for the Montgomery County's 457th Judicial District judge. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
UPDATE: Vince Santini wins Republican runoff for Montgomery County's 457th district court judge

With all election day precincts reporting, Santini has garnered 78% of total votes.

Gov. Greg Abbott ordered Texans to wear face masks in public beginning July 3. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Montgomery County commissioners: Voluntary compliance best way to reduce COVID-19 spread

However, the county reported its largest daily increases in active and total COVID-19 cases July 14, along with two additional deaths related to the disease.

New research shows the coronavirus can survive for much longer in the air than previously determined. (Graphic by Justin Howell/Community Impact Newspaper)
UTMB experts say COVID-19 airborne transmission is responsible for rapid spread; virus lasts more than 12 hours in air

Two infectious disease experts from the Bay Area gave an update on the coronavirus and current research efforts July 14.

The county experienced its largest-yet single-day active and total case increases July 14. (Community Impact staff)
Montgomery County sees highest daily active, total COVID-19 case count increases July 14

A total of 359 new COVID-19 cases and two deaths were reported July 14.

Montgomery County Food Bank volunteers welcome and serve residents at a mobile food distribution site in east Montgomery County. (Courtesy Liz Grimm/Montgomery County Food Bank)
Montgomery County Food Bank distribution up 163% from last year

The Montgomery County Food Bank has distributed nearly 3.5 million pounds of food in around four months.

The Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation program, giving claimants $600 per week, will end July 25. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Federal unemployment payments of $600 per week end July 25

While the added $600 federal unemployment benefits will end, Texans are still eligible for other forms of relief.

Conroe ISD has released its plan for instruction for the 2020-21 school year. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Conroe ISD unveils reopening plan, instruction options for 2020-21 school year

“Everything that I’m gonna tell you tonight can and probably will change,” Null said. “We’ve seen how things can change so rapidly throughout this pandemic. ... So we just have to know that things will change.”

Dr. Steven Kelder is a professor in the Department of Epidemiology, Human Genetics, and Environmental Sciences at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) School of Public Health in Austin with a career spanning more than 25 years. (Graphic by Chance Flowers/Community Impact Newspaper)
Disease expert discusses ongoing pandemic and nearing school year

Dr. Steven H. Kelder recently answered several questions for Community Impact Newspaper regarding COVID-19; trends in cases statewide; and important considerations for parents, students and educators as the 2020-21 school year approaches.

Montgomery County officials are urging residents to wear face masks and take caution. (Community Impact staff)
Montgomery County reports 19 new active coronavirus cases July 13

2,011 people have recovered out of the total 3,112 cases.

A Cy-Fair ISD employee distributes meals via curbside pickup for district students during the summer. (Courtesy Cy-Fair ISD)
'Community Impact Newspaper' seeks feedback and more Houston-area business, community news

Read the latest Houston-area business and community news here.