Cards and Comics Connection

Manager Shannon Vinecke and owner Robert Aranguren run Cards and Comics Connection. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)

Find your fandom at Cards and Comics Connection.
Cards and comics line the store. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)
Magic: The Gathering is one of the most popular activities the store hosts. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)
Funko Pops, vinyl figurines of pop-culture icons, have become increasingly popular at the store. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)
At Cards and Comics Connection, comic books line the walls, while gaming tables fill the store. It is a place where gamers and collectors can come and feel at home.

Owner Rob Aranguren said he first became interested in comics as a young man. After moving to the Conroe area in 2007, he opened the store at 1717 N. Frazier St., Ste. H, Conroe, and has expanded twice, most recently in 2018.

“It just took us a long time to develop a clientele up here because back then, the only thing for advertisement was MySpace. Social media wasn’t as big back then," Aranguren said. “The first weekend, I set up comics, and no one bought comics. ... It took a while for the comics to start taking off. ... If you’re reading a series of comics or collecting comics, you’re constantly in here supporting the store.”

Manager Shannon Vinecke said she started coming to the store with her kids to play the card game Magic: The Gathering. Vinecke said her kids and many of the kids who come to the store are autistic and find community in the store.

“You get the gamers, and then we get the pop collectors. We get [Dungeons and Dragons] players. We get lawyers, cops, paramedics, all sorts of people. Not just nerdy people,” Vinecke said.

Vinecke said some may think only children enjoy comics or card games, but the store has a loyal adult following. And when children do come in, Vinecke said she does her best to make it a family affair.

“I always made a rule: If your kids are going to play, then so are you. So I teach the parents,” Vinecke said. “When their kids want to play, they don’t have to wait till Thursday to play, they can play at home. But it brings your kids together.”

In the last several years, Vinecke said the store has faced several changes. She said the store has fought to compete with online sellers such as Amazon by offering discount and loyalty perks. But there have also been changes for the better.

“Before, there were always men in here,” Vinecke said. “And there’s more women that come in and play games now. And more women collect comics. We have a lot of female subscribers, and that’s been different. That’s changed a lot in the last eight years.”

Whether someone is a super fan or just interested in a certain comic or franchise, Vinecke said the store is open for anyone.

“I think everybody’s nerdy. Someone’s always a fan of something,” Vinecke said.
SHARE THIS STORY
By Andy Li

Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now covers the Conroe Independent School District, Montgomery City Council and transportation.

Karen Waldrup (top) and The Soul Rebels (bottom) both had to cancel shows scheduled in Houston due to coronavirus. (Photo illustration by Justin Howell/Community Impact Newspaper)
Houston-area musicians go virtual to play for fans amid coronavirus cancellations of live shows

As non-essential businesses like bars and music venues are forced to close due to coronavirus concerns, musicians find themselves performing for audiences behind computer screens and asking for virtual tips.

The laptops will help students complete online assignments as coronavirus keeps schools closed. (Courtesy Pixabay)
Montgomery ISD preps 680 laptops for students in need

issues remain surrounding WiFi connectivity for some students.

Rep. Kevin Brady, R-The Woodlands, spoke about the CARES Act and his involvement in the package's development March 27. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
Q&A: U.S. Rep. Kevin Brady discusses the passage of the CARES Act

The stimulus package passed through Congress this week and was expected to be signed by President Donald Trump on March 27.

Houston Methodist has been preparing for coronavirus treatment since December, according to Dr. Jason Knight. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Q&A: Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital's chief medical officer talks virus protection, personal health, hospital response plans

Dr. Jason Knight addressed general health questions and the hospital system's preparations for the COVID-19 outbreak.

While the agency is still tallying the number of unemployment insurance claims filed thus far in March, in the week prior to March 25, at least 150,000 claims had been filed. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Official: Increase in calls for statewide unemployment benefits is ‘almost vertical’

According to Serna, on an average day the Texas Workforce Commission’s four call centers statewide receive 13,000-14,000 calls; on March 22, the agency received 100,000 calls regarding unemployment insurance benefit inquiries.

Montgomery County Judge Mark Keough's stay-at-home order for the county is effective March 28. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
BREAKING: Montgomery County issues stay-at-home order, nightly curfew through April 12

County Judge Mark Keough's order, which goes into effect at 11:59 p.m. March 27, will last through April 12.

The Willis ISD board of trustees voted unanimously March 27 to postpone its May 2 bond elections. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Willis ISD postpones bond elections to Nov. 3

The vote follows Gov. Greg Abbott’s March 18 proclamation, which gave local municipalities the ability to postpone elections.

DATA: Cases, recovery rates and death rates for COVID-19 in the Greater Houston area

A total of 441 cases of coronavirus have been identified in the Greater Houston area as of March 26.

Several restaurants in Tomball and Magnolia are having to adjust their business operations as social distancing practices take shape. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Stay up to date on how businesses across the Greater Houston area are adapting to coronavirus

Find local businesses and nonprofits to support as they grapple with coronavirus-related restrictions through our area guides.

Conroe ISD volunteers have distributed about 80,000 meals, according to Superintendent Curtis Null. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Local school districts continue meal distributions

Conroe, Willis and Montgomery ISDs have committed to continue meal distributions throughout their extended closures due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Montgomery ISD votes to push May board elections to November

The vote follows Gov. Greg Abbott's March 18 proclamation allowing local political subdivisions to postpone their May elections to November due to the coronavirus.

Back to top