Cards and Comics Connection

Manager Shannon Vinecke and owner Robert Aranguren run Cards and Comics Connection. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)

Find your fandom at Cards and Comics Connection.
Cards and comics line the store. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)
Magic: The Gathering is one of the most popular activities the store hosts. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)
Funko Pops, vinyl figurines of pop-culture icons, have become increasingly popular at the store. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)
At Cards and Comics Connection, comic books line the walls, while gaming tables fill the store. It is a place where gamers and collectors can come and feel at home.

Owner Rob Aranguren said he first became interested in comics as a young man. After moving to the Conroe area in 2007, he opened the store at 1717 N. Frazier St., Ste. H, Conroe, and has expanded twice, most recently in 2018.

“It just took us a long time to develop a clientele up here because back then, the only thing for advertisement was MySpace. Social media wasn’t as big back then," Aranguren said. “The first weekend, I set up comics, and no one bought comics. ... It took a while for the comics to start taking off. ... If you’re reading a series of comics or collecting comics, you’re constantly in here supporting the store.”

Manager Shannon Vinecke said she started coming to the store with her kids to play the card game Magic: The Gathering. Vinecke said her kids and many of the kids who come to the store are autistic and find community in the store.

“You get the gamers, and then we get the pop collectors. We get [Dungeons and Dragons] players. We get lawyers, cops, paramedics, all sorts of people. Not just nerdy people,” Vinecke said.

Vinecke said some may think only children enjoy comics or card games, but the store has a loyal adult following. And when children do come in, Vinecke said she does her best to make it a family affair.

“I always made a rule: If your kids are going to play, then so are you. So I teach the parents,” Vinecke said. “When their kids want to play, they don’t have to wait till Thursday to play, they can play at home. But it brings your kids together.”

In the last several years, Vinecke said the store has faced several changes. She said the store has fought to compete with online sellers such as Amazon by offering discount and loyalty perks. But there have also been changes for the better.

“Before, there were always men in here,” Vinecke said. “And there’s more women that come in and play games now. And more women collect comics. We have a lot of female subscribers, and that’s been different. That’s changed a lot in the last eight years.”

Whether someone is a super fan or just interested in a certain comic or franchise, Vinecke said the store is open for anyone.

“I think everybody’s nerdy. Someone’s always a fan of something,” Vinecke said.
SHARE THIS STORY
By Andy Li

Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now covers the Conroe Independent School District, Montgomery City Council and transportation.

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas. The Shinkansen trains in Japan will be customized for Texas with no middle seats and additional legroom, company officials announced. (Courtesy Texas Central)
JUST IN: Texas Central gives first glimpse of high speed train car interior

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas.

The Finding Place will operate as a information center for Grand Central Park. (Courtesy Kaplan Public Relations)
Grand Central Park to open The Finding Place office

The staffed information center allows prospective homeowners to learn more about the homes available and the amenities of the development.

Daniel Pena, David Eason, Clyde Vogel and incumbent Gene DeForest will face each other in the March Republican primaries. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Montgomery County Constable Precinct 2 Republican candidates discuss experience, leadership

Daniel Pena, David Eason, Clyde Vogel and incumbent Gene DeForest will face each other in the March Republican primaries.

Early voting begins Feb. 18 in the 2020 Texas primary. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Republican candidates for Montgomery County Precinct 1 Commissioner talk government spending, flooding

Robert Walker and Billy Graff will face each other in the Republican primary for Montgomery County Commissioner Precinct 1.

The city of Conroe has begun work to add flashing yellow lights to 26 locations across Conroe to make left turns safer for drivers. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Flashing yellow lights, bus routes: Check out 3 Conroe transportation projects

The city of Conroe has begun work to add flashing yellow lights to 26 locations across Conroe to make left turns safer for drivers.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo will host the 55th annual Go Texan Parade in downtown Conroe. (Courtesy Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo)
Things to do in Conroe, Montgomery on Feb. 22-March 3

Check out some local events and happenings in February and March.

Conroe City Council meets at 300 W. Davis St., Conroe. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Conroe City Council votes against term limits proposal

The proposed ordinance would have placed an amendment on the May 2 ballot to establish two four-year term limits.

Council member Duane Ham was arrested during a traffic stop for driving under the influence. (Courtesy Montgomery County Sheriff's Office)
Conroe City Council Member Duane Ham charged with driving while intoxicated

Ham was released on a $600 bail at 5:39 a.m. Feb. 13.

Students from Lone Star College-Montgomery will perform their production of "Student Body" at the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival on Feb. 25. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lone Star College-Montgomery students invited to perform play at national festival

"Student Body," written by Frank Winters, examines campus sexual assault; its protagonists discover a video at a party of a sex act that "may or may not be considered consensual."

The Marcel Group will break ground on Marcel Boulevard on March 17. (Rendering courtesy Kaplan Public Relations)
Marcel Boulevard to offer retail, restaurant, office space in Conroe

The open-air development will add 68,160 square feet of restaurant and retail space, 32,400 square feet of executive office space and parking to the area.

Former Council Member John Bickford receives a plaque from Mayor Sara Countryman in recognition of his service to the city. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery City Council Member John Bickford resigns

Bickford, who has served on the council since 2011, said in his resignation letter he and his wife will be selling their Montgomery home soon to “start a new chapter in our lives.”

Back to top