Cards and Comics Connection

Manager Shannon Vinecke and owner Robert Aranguren run Cards and Comics Connection. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)

Find your fandom at Cards and Comics Connection.
Cards and comics line the store. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)
Magic: The Gathering is one of the most popular activities the store hosts. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)
Funko Pops, vinyl figurines of pop-culture icons, have become increasingly popular at the store. (Andy Li, Community Impact Newspaper.)
At Cards and Comics Connection, comic books line the walls, while gaming tables fill the store. It is a place where gamers and collectors can come and feel at home.

Owner Rob Aranguren said he first became interested in comics as a young man. After moving to the Conroe area in 2007, he opened the store at 1717 N. Frazier St., Ste. H, Conroe, and has expanded twice, most recently in 2018.

“It just took us a long time to develop a clientele up here because back then, the only thing for advertisement was MySpace. Social media wasn’t as big back then," Aranguren said. “The first weekend, I set up comics, and no one bought comics. ... It took a while for the comics to start taking off. ... If you’re reading a series of comics or collecting comics, you’re constantly in here supporting the store.”

Manager Shannon Vinecke said she started coming to the store with her kids to play the card game Magic: The Gathering. Vinecke said her kids and many of the kids who come to the store are autistic and find community in the store.

“You get the gamers, and then we get the pop collectors. We get [Dungeons and Dragons] players. We get lawyers, cops, paramedics, all sorts of people. Not just nerdy people,” Vinecke said.

Vinecke said some may think only children enjoy comics or card games, but the store has a loyal adult following. And when children do come in, Vinecke said she does her best to make it a family affair.

“I always made a rule: If your kids are going to play, then so are you. So I teach the parents,” Vinecke said. “When their kids want to play, they don’t have to wait till Thursday to play, they can play at home. But it brings your kids together.”

In the last several years, Vinecke said the store has faced several changes. She said the store has fought to compete with online sellers such as Amazon by offering discount and loyalty perks. But there have also been changes for the better.

“Before, there were always men in here,” Vinecke said. “And there’s more women that come in and play games now. And more women collect comics. We have a lot of female subscribers, and that’s been different. That’s changed a lot in the last eight years.”

Whether someone is a super fan or just interested in a certain comic or franchise, Vinecke said the store is open for anyone.

“I think everybody’s nerdy. Someone’s always a fan of something,” Vinecke said.
By Andy Li
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now works as the reporter for the Conroe/Montgomery edition of Community Impact Newspaper.

The First Street Foundation's dataset includes a forecast models that anticipate the effects of climate change and sea level rise. (Screenshot via First Street Foundation)
Analysis: FEMA may be undercounting national total flood risk by as much as 70%

The new dataset includes an interactive Flood Factor dashboard that anyone can use to assess the risk of flooding over a 30-year period for any address.

Registration for the voucher program is now available by phone or online. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Montgomery County COVID-19 testing voucher program registration now available online

Residents may be approved for free testing vouchers after completing an informational form through the county health or hospital district websites.

Houston fireworks display
Here’s how to celebrate Fourth of July across the Greater Houston area

Several Houston-area cities are still planning fireworks shows with drive-in or virtual components this Fourth of July.

The laboratory is located in a business park in Oak Ridge North. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Conroe-based company made unusable COVID-19 test supplies using $10-million FEMA grant

About one month after receiving the grant, the company ceased production, leaving behind millions of unusable products and little trace of the company’s existence.

Gov. Greg Abbott
Gov. Greg Abbott: Texans must wear masks in public starting July 3

"COVID-19 is not going away," Gov. Abbott said. "In fact, it is getting worse."

The Kemah Boardwalk will be open Fourth of July weekend. (Courtesy Kemah Boardwalk)
3 Houston-area amusement properties will be open Fourth of July weekend

The Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier and Downtown Aquarium Houston are offering a joint weekend adventure pass for $29.99.

When interest rates are low, homeowners may look to save money by refinancing, which means getting a new mortgage with a better term or interest rate to lower payments. (Source: Matt Frankel/Community Impact Newspaper)
'Refinancing isn't free:' How to navigate refinancing a mortgage

When interest rates are low, homeowners may look to save money by refinancing, which means getting a new mortgage with a better term or interest rate to lower payments.

Episcopal Health Foundation
Survey: Texans support emphasis on improving economy, safety, pollution to address overall health

“COVID-19 is clearly showing what Texans already know: the state needs to address underlying, non-medical conditions that have a dramatic impact on their health,” Episcopal Health Foundation President and CEO Elena Marks said.

Houston-based Christian Brothers Automotive operates more than 200 locations across the United States. (Courtesy Christian Brothers Automotive)
Q&A: Christian Brothers Automotive CEO talks commercial real estate, essential business operations amid pandemic

The Houston-based automotive company has franchise locations throughout Texas, Georgia, Tennessee and Arizona.

In communities across the nation, Walmart Supercenter parking lots will be transformed into contact-free, drive-in movie theaters beginning in August. (Courtesy Walmart)
Walmart to bring drive-in movies to 160 stores nationwide in August, launch virtual summer camp

Families can also enjoy a virtual summer camp experience Walmart is launching July 8 with sessions led by celebrities, including Drew Barrymore, Neil Patrick Harris and LeBron James.

Montgomery County Memorial Library System will allow Texas residents to access its services through a new online access card. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Montgomery County Memorial Library System launches temporary online library card system

The new online access card will give residents access to e-book, magazines, movies and more.