Waterparks, bingo, fireworks: 10 things to do in the Greater Houston area this Fourth of July

From barbecue to beer, shelter dogs to water parks, there are plenty of things to do for Independence Day in the Greater Houston area.

Whether you are singing karaoke, doing some goat yoga or just trying to find the perfect fireworks spot, the Greater Houston area has plenty of events this Independence Day.

Here is a list of five things to do in the Greater Houston area this Fourth of July.

Enjoy a parade
Come out and celebrate Independence Day at the 44th Annual South Montgomery County Fourth of July Parade. The 1.3-mile parade will have more than 140 floats with elected officials, military members and street performers. 8-11 a.m. Free. Market Street, 9595 Six Pines Drive, The Woodlands. 281-210-3975. www.4thofjuly.org

Take the kids to a museum
Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center is hosting a day of Independence Day activities for children. Captain American and Lady Liberty will be available for photos from noon to 2 p.m., and kids can make their own red, white and blue mask or crown all day. Veterans and active-duty military members get in for free, and their families receive a discount. 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Ticket prices vary. 198 Kempner St., Sugar Land. 832-742-2800. www.childrensdiscoveryfb.org

Play some bingo
Humble’s Chick-fil-A will host a brunch bingo for the whole family to win prizes. The breakfast menu will be served till noon, and the lunch menu will be available at 10:30 a.m. 10:30 a.m.-noon. Free (entry). 9525 N. Sam Houston Parkway E., Humble. 281-441-5108. www.chick-fil-a.com/wilsonbeltway8

Go to the waterpark
Cool off at Typhoon Texas Houston waterpark as it hosts a day of entertainers, including the Stephen Chadwick Band, Clint Daniels and Bri Bagwell. 10:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Ticket prices vary. Typhoon Texas Houston, 555 S. Katy Fort Bend Road, Katy. 832-426-7071. www.typhoontexas.com

Get some beer
Bearded Fox Brew is hosting a July Fourth party with an early-bird special offering $4 beers and $9 crawlers, or three for $25. The special is going on from 2-5 p.m., but the party will go on until 10 p.m. Dogs are welcome. Free (entry). 11729 Spring Cypress Road Ste. R, Tomball. 832-761-7928. www.beardedfoxbrewing.com

Eat some barbecue
The public is invited to enjoy free smoked pork butt and burgers while the kids play on bounce houses at Faith Fellowship Church at Fort Bend. 4-6 p.m. Free. 2723 Kingsbrook Lane, Missouri City. 281-493-4352. www.faithfellowshipchurchfb.org

Do some patriotic goat yoga
Goat Yoga Texas is hosting a special yoga session, dressing up its entire herd of goats in red, white and blue. The class features a 45-minute lesson and a 30-minute photo session with the goats. Participants must bring their own yoga mat or beach towel. 5:30-6:30 p.m. $29. 18541 Mueschke Road, Cypress. 281-732-7833. www.GoatYogaTX.com

Read to shelter dogs
Montgomery County Animal Shelter Texas is asking people to read, play music to or simply talk with shelter dogs in order to keep them calm during the fireworks. A BBQ meal will be provided. Participants are encouraged to bring lawn chairs. 6-9 p.m. $5. Montgomery County Animal Shelter Texas, 8535 Hwy. 242, Conroe. 936-442-7738. www.mcaspets.org

Do some karaoke

Sing your heart out at The Jailhouse Saloon’s Fourth of July celebration. There will be karaoke and free food, followed by fireworks in the evening. 7-10 p.m. Free. 310 Preston Ave., Spring. 281-288-0255. www.jailhousesaloontx.com

Watch the fireworks
Here is a noncomprehensive list of free firework displays going on. Keep an eye on the weather in case of cancellations.

July Fourth Celebration and Street Festival
Business 249 and FM 2920, Tomball. 9:20 p.m. 281-351-5484

Red, Hot and Blue Festival
2505 Lake Woodlands Drive, The Woodlands. 9:30 p.m. 281-210-3800

Fourth of July at The Boardwalk Towne Lake
9945 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress. 9 p.m. 281-256-2772

Red, White and Boom
18355 Southwest Freeway, Sugar Land. 9:40 p.m. 281-275-2045

Katy Freedom Celebration
1417 Ave. D, Katy. 9 p.m. 281-391-4800

Celebration of Freedom
4141 Bailey Road, Pearland. 9 p.m. 281-412-8900

4th of July Celebration
1122 Buffalo Run, Missouri City. 9:15 p.m. 281-403-8500
SHARE THIS STORY
By Andy Li

Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now covers the Conroe Independent School District, Montgomery City Council and transportation.

Prices are more of an indicator of real estate activity during the coronavirus pandemic than location or geography, a local Realtor said.
ROUNDUP: 5 recent coronavirus stories from the South Houston area readers should know

Catch up on some of the latest coronavirus updates for the South Houston area below.

Volunteers unload food donations for the Montgomery County Food Bank. (Courtesy Drive West Communications)
ExxonMobil makes $250,000 donation to local food banks

The energy company said the Houston Food Bank will receive $200,000, including $50,000 in gasoline gift cards. The Montgomery County Food Bank will also receive $50,000.

Local Foods is selling boxes of farm-fresh produce for $25. (Matt Dulin/Community Impact Newspaper)
Skip the grocery store: 12 Inner Loop restaurants offering pantry staples, toilet paper and unique finds

Here are some of the Inner Loop restaurants now operating as neighborhood markets amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo provided updates on the county's "Stay Home-Work Safe" order at a March 30 press conference. (Screenshot via Harris County)
VIDEO: Texas Tribune interviews Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo about the coronavirus outbreak’s impact in Houston

The Texas Tribune demographics reporter Alexa Ura interviewed Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo on April 3.

The employees of The Adventure Begins Comics, Games & More gather their characters together in "Animal Crossing: New Horizons." (Kate Looney/The Adventure Begins Comics, Games & More)
5 recent business stories from the Houston area readers should know

Read updates on how local businesses are reacting in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

Baylor College of Medicine has begun enrolling patients in a treatment trial for adult patients with a COVID-19 diagnosis. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Baylor College of Medicine enrolling participants in COVID-19 treatment trial

The study will evaluate the safety and effectiveness of novel therapeutic agents, the first which is the experimental antiviral drug remdesivir.

Many renters in the Greater Houston area may be faced with struggles paying rent amid the coronavirus outbreak. There are local resources located throughout the region that can help. (Courtesy Pexels)
Struggling to pay April rent? Here are some resources in the Greater Houston area

The deadline for April rent is looming as renters—both in public and private housing—in the Greater Houston area may be struggling financially in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

President Donald Trump signed a $2 trillion package March 27 to provide relief during the coronavirus pandemic. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Sen. John Cornyn discusses provisions laid out in CARES Act

The $2 trillion package provides funding to help fight the virus and to provide financial assistance for Americans during the pandemic.

Initial claims for unemployment insurance rates are increasing across the nation in the midst of COVID-19. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Texas sees 77% increase in unemployment insurance claims during week ending March 28

Texas ranked fifth among states in the U.S. with 275,597 initial claims filed the week ending March 28.

Here is what to know about rent, mortgages and utility bills during the coronavirus. (Courtesy Fotolia)
FAQ: Paying bills in the time of coronavirus

What to know about rent, mortgages and utility bills during the coronavirus

Houston ISD food distribution
Houston ISD will resume food distribution April 6-10

A week after announcing it would suspend its citywide meal distribution program, Houston ISD says it is ready to resume the effort starting April 6.