Harris County District Attorney changes hemp, marijuana case filing policy in the wake of new state laws

HB 1325 legalizes products containing no more than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive element in marijuana known as THC.

The Harris County District Attorney’s Office announced July 2 it will no longer accept criminal charges for misdemeanor possession of marijuana without a test result proving that the substance has a THC concentration over a certain percentage.

Hemp and marijuana were redefined under House Bill 1325, which was signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott June 10. State law now recognizes a substance as hemp, which is legal if the tetrahydrocannabinol—or THC—concentration is less than 0.3%. If the THC concentration is greater than 0.3%, the substance is legally recognized as marijuana. This makes THC level relevant in the prosecution of marijuana cases, according to a July 2 press release from Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg’s office.

A misdemeanor charge for marijuana possession is applicable in Harris County in cases that involve four ounces or less of the substance.

Under HB 1325, proof beyond a reasonable doubt in cases involving marijuana will require laboratory testing for THC concentration, Ogg said. THC is the psychoactive element in marijuana.

The bill defines hemp as “the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant … with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis,” according to the release. The bill also creates a statewide Hemp Production Plan that permits the growing of hemp as a crop.

Marijuana is defined as the plant, its seeds and “every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of that plant or its seeds,” per the release. Felony marijuana charges will be evaluated on a case by case basis by the District Attorney’s office, and in some instances, charges may be taken while lab test results are pending, according to the release.

HB 1325 was sponsored by more than a dozen state legislators, many of whom represent the greater Austin and San Antonio areas. Ogg’s release comes after Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon said that, while the bill legalizes hemp and hemp-derived products, he will continue to pursue marijuana prosecutions because the proper rules and regulations have not been established.
SHARE THIS STORY
By Colleen Ferguson

A native central New Yorker, Colleen Ferguson worked as an editorial intern with the Cy-Fair and Lake Houston | Humble | Kingwood editions of Community Impact before joining the Bay Area team in 2020. Colleen graduated from Syracuse University in 2019, where she worked for the campus's independent student newspaper The Daily Orange, with a degree in Newspaper and Online Journalism from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and a degree in Spanish language and culture. Colleen previously interned with The Journal News/lohud, where she covered the commute in the greater New York City area.

Early voting is underway in Harris County for the March 2020 primary elections. (Matt Dulin/Community Impact Newspaper)
Voter turnout starts strong in Harris County primary elections

The early voting period runs through Feb. 28.

Houston's first chief transportation officer will help the city coordinate its urban planning efforts with other agencies such as the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, the Houston-Galveston Area Council and the Texas Department of Transportation. (Courtesy Visit Houston)
Shifting focus from car culture, Houston hires first chief transportation planner

Houston's first chief transportation officer will help the city shift its focus from car-centric urban planning.

Critical care tower
Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center opens new critical care tower

A new critical care tower offering Level 1 trauma support has recently opened at the Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center.

Planned complex rendering
Texas A&M system to invest $546 million in Texas Medical Center development plan

The Texas A&M University System will be building a half-billion dollar complex in the Texas Medical Center over the next three years.

Nob Hill
Meyerland apartment community Nob Hill is for sale

The property had a taxable value of over $60 million in 2019.

Cheetos Cheese Pickles from Biggy's (Courtesy Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo)
Cheetos cheese pickles, mac and cheese eggrolls, deep-fried cheesecake: 93 food spots to try during the 2020 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

From tried and true to something new, the food options at this year's Rodeo include classic staples and crazy concoctions.

El Topo food
El Topo brings sophisticated Texas cooking to West U

El Topo is building on its cuisine made popular with its farmers' market food truck.

A&O Lamp Company
Longtime family-run A&O Lamp Company closes West U shop

The store auctioned off over 3,000 items on Jan. 11.

Kim Son Cafe
New Kim Son Cafe now open at Rice Village

Kim Son Cafe is now bringing its traditional Vietnamese and Chinese cuisine to the Rice Village, at 2512 Rice Blvd.

The Houston ISD school calendar for 2020-21 includes the districtwide holiday and day of community service in honor of César Chávez and Dolores Huerta on March 29. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Houston ISD releases 2020-21 calendar: See what days off students will have next year

The school year begins on Aug. 24 and ends the following May 27, before Memorial Day.

Former Chevron building
Work on new zoning district for former Chevron property inches forward

The City of Bellaire is working toward creating a new zoning district at the former Chevron campus, at 4800 and 4900 Fournace Place.

Lanny Bose, Ann Johnson and Ruby Powers
Texas House District 134 Democratic Primary: Meet the candidates on the ballot in 2020

The winner of the primary will face incumbent Rep. Sarah Davis in November.

Back to top