Harris County enhances flood alert system

Harris County residents can now receive location-specific electronic alerts about water levels and rainfall to prepare for potential flooding threats.

The Harris County Flood Control District announced June 18 that it enhanced its Flood Warning Systems website, allowing residents to sign up for alerts for one of more than 250 locations. Once residents sign up and put in an address, the website matches the address with a watershed.

Alerts are sent via email, text message or both when rainfall or water levels reach a defined point, according to a press statement from the HCFCD. The feature lets residents customize their water level alerts or select from predefined rainfall and water level values developed by local government officials.

The events of Hurricane Harvey demonstrated the need for automated notifications, and this enhancement is a step towards getting alerts out as quickly as possible, HCFCD’s director of hydrologic operations and meteorologist Jeff Lindner said in the statement.

"Residents can use the new alerts feature to make timely, informed decisions on how to protect themselves, their families, and property," he said.

The enhancement comes several days after three Senate bills, all aimed at mitigating flooding across Texas and disbursing funds throughout damage-stricken parts of the state, were signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott. HCFCD officials said the bills have the potential to affect present and future flood control and disaster relief efforts, but it is unclear as of June 18 how the legislation could specifically affect HCFCD procedures.
By Colleen Ferguson

A native central New Yorker, Colleen Ferguson worked as an editorial intern with the Cy-Fair and Lake Houston | Humble | Kingwood editions of Community Impact before joining the Bay Area team in 2020. Colleen graduated from Syracuse University in 2019, where she worked for the campus's independent student newspaper The Daily Orange, with a degree in Newspaper and Online Journalism from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and a degree in Spanish language and culture. Colleen previously interned with The Journal News/lohud, where she covered the commute in the greater New York City area.

With staffing taking up the vast majority of public safety budgets, staffing may have to be one area to cut costs, officials said. (Anya Gallant/Community Impact Newspaper)
Houston police, fire departments propose slight budget increases for 2020-21 amid coronavirus downturn

However, both police and fire chiefs acknowlegded personnel cuts may be necessary.

Houston fiscal year 2020-21 budget workshops run from April 7 through May 20. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Harris County launches Small Business Economic Assistance Loan Program, begins process of creating COVID-19 relief fund

In partnership with the Houston-Galveston Area Council, Harris County launched a $10 million Small Business Economic Assistance Loan Program on April 7 to help small businesses on the road to recovery.

Texas Children’s Hospital
Texas Children’s Hospital provides stipend to employees during COVID-19

Both full-time and part-time employees will receive a check on April 10.

The city of Bellaire will be preparing financial forecast scenarios for its budget as the COVID-19 outbreak continues its spread throughout the Greater Houston area (Alex Hosey/Community Impact Newspaper)
Bellaire City Council considers budget cuts, hiring freeze amid anticipated revenue declines

The city of Bellaire will prepare financial forecast scenarios for its budget as the COVID-19 outbreak continues its spread throughout the Greater Houston area.

Live music acts such as Houston-based band The Tontons have been wiped off venue schedules amid the coronavirus outbreak. Local musicians are now eligible to apply for monetary support from the newly formed Houston Music Foundation. (Courtesy Mark C. Austin)
Newly formed Houston Music Foundation offers relief to out-of-work musicians

The fund hopes to start cutting checks as early as this week.

A temporary medical shelter is being constructed outside NRG Stadium to help house patients if area hospitals run out of capacity while treating COVID-19 cases. (Courtesy Visit Houston)
ROUNDUP: South Houston coronavirus coverage continues

Here are some notable updates from South Houston on the outbreak of coronavirus that readers may have missed.

With the transition to home-based, digital learning, Houston ISD is preparing to make adjustments to how overall grades will be assigned. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Houston ISD expected to finalize new grading policy in coming days

Under Texas Education Agency guidance, districts do not necessarily have to assign letter grades for courses.

Houston city budget workshops kick off amid economic turmoil

Houston city department heads are presenting budget proposals to City Council members throughout April and May.

Sheldon State Park, along with other state parks across Texas, will temporarily close at 5 p.m. April 7. (Courtesy Texas Parks and Wildlife Department)
State parks, historic sites in the Greater Houston area close under Gov. Greg Abbott's order

Gov. Greg Abbott announced via a news release April 7 that state parks and historic sites should be temporarily closed to help curb the spread of the coronavirus.

Abbott's order closes all state parks and historical sites effective 5 p.m. April 7. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Gov. Abbott closes state parks, historical sites due to coronavirus concerns

Abbott said the closure is to help prevent large gatherings and strengthen social distancing.

VIDEO: Texas Tribune interview with Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar about the coronavirus's effects on the state economy

At 8 a.m. April 7, The Texas Tribune will host a live interview with Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar, conducted by Texas Tribune Executive Editor Ross Ramsey.