Harris County to apply for ‘successful’ status following initial countywide polling place program implementation

Harris County Commissioners Court unanimously approved a request June 4 from its county clerku2019s office to apply to the Texas Secretary of State for u201csuccessfulu201d status for the recently implemented program that allows voters to cast their ballots at any polling place in the county.

Harris County Commissioners Court unanimously approved a request June 4 from its county clerk’s office to apply to the Texas Secretary of State for “successful” status for the recently implemented program that allows voters to cast their ballots at any polling place in the county.

The approval comes two months after Texas Secretary of State David Whitley approved the county’s application to participate in the program. Previously, Harris County voters were restricted to an assigned polling location in their voting precinct on election day, although they were permitted to vote at any location during early voting.

A county can apply for successful status after one election under the program and may continue to implement the program in future elections, according to the Secretary of State website. The county commissioners court was required to hold a public hearing as part of the application and provide a recording of that hearing to the Secretary of State, which will be reviewed to determine whether the county has met code requirements.

Harris County is the largest county in the U.S. to implement the program. More than 50 other counties across the state also participate.

At the hearing, which was part of the June 4 meeting, community members spoke positively about the program’s results in the May 4 joint election. However, several residents also brought up areas for future program improvement, ranging from accessibility and equity issues to shortcomings with web connectivity at polling places.

As voters can now attend any polling place to cast their ballots, former election judge Rita Huggler expressed concern over whether officials would keep all existing polling places open for use. In other counties that have adopted the program, the number of polling places reduced by 40%, she said.

“While change is inevitable, I’m concerned that this change may not be in the best interest of all voters,” Huggler said. “A voter’s polling place is a number and not a place, and I communicate that to voters every chance I get.”

Precinct 1 Commissioner Rodney Ellis said he “got heartburn” at the idea of closing any polling location, which Precinct 4 Commissioner Jack Cagle agreed with. Harris County Clerk Diane Trautman said during the hearing that if the county was to consider consolidating or closing any polling place locations, that decision would need to go through the court for a vote first.

Local political activist Dee Scott commended the county clerk’s office for their expediency in implementing the countywide polling centers, but added that there is still work to be done to make the voting process equitable for anyone that is not a member of the “dominant, controlling parties in our city politics as well as at a national level.” This program is a step in the right direction, she said.

Another shortcoming observed in the May election was the power of the web servers at some polling locations. Ed Johnson, who said he has worked in Harris County elections for nearly 20 years and helped create the existing e-poll book system, pointed out that with only 4% of the population turning out for the May election, it was not a proper test of the new system in terms of its efficiency for the November general election, which typically has a bigger turnout.

Johnson added that because more than half of polling locations in the county are located in schools, the school districts often restrict cellular data capabilities on campuses to prevent students from abusing the network. He encouraged the county to work with districts to resolve this issue, since it affects the iPads used to register votes.

A team from the Center for Civic Leadership at Rice University conducted a study examining the efficacy of voting centers in the May election, and several of those team members spoke during the public hearing. Voter turnout data for the May election will be compared with turnout data from previous elections by the Secretary of State to help determine the program’s success, per the Secretary of State website.

The team presented basic findings during the meeting and stated that in-depth results would be presented to the court to determine the best course of action prior to the November election.

Chemical fires

The court also heard from community members affected by the ITC and KMCO chemical fires on June 4 before unanimously passing a resolution in support of the men and women, as well as the businesses, that were affected by the incidents.

Precinct 2 Commissioner Adrian Garcia said that the court urges Rohm & Haas Texas Inc. to engage in good faith negotiations for fair contracts for the United Steelworkers members in Deer Park.

“This is about safety on both sides,” Garcia said.

Cagle said the resolution would be more fitting with added language about supporting businesses, as well as supporting individual men and women, which he said supports the health of the relationship between the labor force and the Port of Houston.

“I want to encourage this resolution, but I also want to encourage our businesses to know that we’re not hostile to them,” Cagle said. “We want everybody to work together.”

The resolution was carried unanimously after the amendment was made.

A full video of the meeting is available online. The commissioners court will meet next on June 25.
SHARE THIS STORY
By Colleen Ferguson

A native central New Yorker, Colleen Ferguson worked as an editorial intern with the Cy-Fair and Lake Houston | Humble | Kingwood editions of Community Impact before joining the Bay Area team in 2020. Colleen graduated from Syracuse University in 2019, where she worked for the campus's independent student newspaper The Daily Orange, with a degree in Newspaper and Online Journalism from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and a degree in Spanish language and culture. Colleen previously interned with The Journal News/lohud, where she covered the commute in the greater New York City area.

Christian Community Service Center CCSC
How to help: 11 organizations and initiatives needing support in Houston as coronavirus affects the most vulnerable

The coronavirus pandemic has presented challenges to nonprofits, especially those helping vulnerable populations and those with health concerns.

Health officials said they could only commit to keeping the city and county testing sites open for a few days at a time as it awaits additional supplies. (Matt Dulin/Community Impact Newspaper)
Houston coronavirus testing sites remain open despite supply chain hiccups

As of March 26, the end of the first week that most major test centers were open, the City of Houston had tested 1,062 patients at its site and Harris County tested 1,700 patients across its two sites.

Karen Waldrup (top) and The Soul Rebels (bottom) both had to cancel shows scheduled in Houston due to coronavirus. (Photo illustration by Justin Howell/Community Impact Newspaper)
Houston-area musicians go virtual to play for fans amid coronavirus cancellations of live shows

As non-essential businesses like bars and music venues are forced to close due to coronavirus concerns, musicians find themselves performing for audiences behind computer screens and asking for virtual tips.

Texas Medical Center has further restricted visitors to its members hospitals and clinics, the medical district announced March 27.  (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Texas Medical Center further restricts visitors across dozens of hospitals and clinics

The Texas Medical Center has announced restrictions on visitors across its hospitals and clinics in an effort to fight COVID-19.

While the agency is still tallying the number of unemployment insurance claims filed thus far in March, in the week prior to March 25, at least 150,000 claims had been filed. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Official: Increase in calls for statewide unemployment benefits is ‘almost vertical’

According to Serna, on an average day the Texas Workforce Commission’s four call centers statewide receive 13,000-14,000 calls; on March 22, the agency received 100,000 calls regarding unemployment insurance benefit inquiries.

DATA: Cases, recovery rates and death rates for COVID-19 in the Greater Houston area

A total of 441 cases of coronavirus have been identified in the Greater Houston area as of March 26.

Several restaurants in Tomball and Magnolia are having to adjust their business operations as social distancing practices take shape. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Stay up to date on how businesses across the Greater Houston area are adapting to coronavirus

Find local businesses and nonprofits to support as they grapple with coronavirus-related restrictions through our area guides.

United Way of Greater Houston and Greater Houston Community Foundation launched the Greater Houston COVID-19 Recovery Fund with a focus on supporting those services that provide access to food, health care, shelter, utility assistance, transportation, and more in Harris, Fort Bend, Waller, and Montgomery counties. (Courtesy YMCA of Greater Houston)
With $1 million starting gift from Houston Endowment, new COVID-19 recovery fund looks to address critical needs

A new recovery fund has been launched to help those in critical need because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Houston ISD, HISD
Houston ISD abruptly halts food distribution program after suspected COVID-19 case

The district said it is re-evaluating "its process for safely delivering this service to students and families."

Gov. Greg Abbott so far has not issued a similar order statewide(Courtesy Adobe Stock)
President Trump declares major disaster in Texas due to coronavirus

The declaration came as several Texas cities, including Houston, have issued stay-at-home orders.

Texas Medical Center
Texas Medical Center readying for potential future surge in COVID-19 cases

Hospitals affiliated with Texas Medical Center have been gearing up for a potential future surge in COVID-19 cases.

Back to top