1. The MLK Parade Foundation will host the 23rd Annual MLK Grande Parade in downtown Houston at the intersection of San Jacinto and Elgin streets. The parade is the third largest in the country behind the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and the Tournament of Rose Parade, according to the foundations website. The event is expected to have 300,000 spectators in attendance and will feature 30 marching bands and 15 parade floats. Downtown Houston road closures can be found here. 10 a.m. Free (admission). www.mlkgrandeparade.org
2. Several county services and schools will be closed on Monday, Jan. 16:
- Various county libraries, including systems in Harris, Montgomery, Fort Bend and Brazoria counties will be closed.
- Lone Star College System office will be closed. Classes begin on Jan. 17 for the spring semester.
- County offices will be closed.
- Local school district offices and campuses will be closed.
3. The Children's Museum of Houston will host its annual MLK Day celebration with a Peace March, arts and crafts activities and a rendition of King's historic "I Have a Dream" speech. The event is sponsored by District 147 State Rep. Garnet Coleman. $5 (admission). 1500 Binz St., Houston. 713-522-1138. www.cmhouston.org