The Network of Community Ministries has launched an initiative to address food insecurity within the Richardson Independent School District community. Seeking to alleviate the barriers many face in accessing resources, the organization has introduced a mobile food pantry program, called The Mobile Market, to ensure that no family goes without food during the summer months.

The overview

The Mobile Market, operational from June 5, through Aug. 8, will make stops at various RISD campuses, providing meal support during the summer months.

"For many in the community, transportation poses a significant barrier to stability," said Jillian Netherland, chief development officer at Network of Community Ministries, in the news release. "While [families] would benefit from Network's on-site food market, they either lack a mode of transportation to get here or are unable to visit during our service hours."

What you need to know

The Mobile Market offers a diverse selection of food items, including meats, dairy products, vegetables, kid-friendly meals and snacks. Approximately 70% of the food is sourced from the North Texas Food Bank, while the remaining 30% is donated by local businesses, community organizations and individuals.

Families are able to receive assistance without requiring proof of income. The program follows eligibility criteria set by the North Texas Food Bank but does not turn away any student in need of food, Netherland said.

What else?

The mobile food pantry program will be operational at various RISD campuses throughout the summer. Here are the scheduled stops:
  • Mondays: 12:45-2 p.m. at Math Science Technology Magnet Elementary School
  • Tuesdays: 7:30-9 a.m. at Carolyn Bukhair Elementary
  • Wednesdays: 10:30-11:30 a.m. at the DFW Refugee Outreach Center
  • Thursdays: 7:30-9 a.m. at Dobie Pre Kindergarten School
  • Thursdays: 12:45 p.m.-2 p.m. at Merriman Park Elementary
"The Mobile Market ensures that all families have access to food, regardless of their situation," says Netherland. "As one of the most basic human needs, we believe that stable access to food can help to set someone up for success."