Hospital demand for blood products has grown by 30% since April as surgical procedures and patient treatments resume, creating an urgent need for blood donations to prevent a blood shortage, a May 28 release said. At the same time, blood drives have been canceled because of closures at business and community organizations during the coronavirus pandemic, according to the Red Cross.
“Blood donors have played a vital role in the lives of patients who have needed lifesaving transfusions during this pandemic, and patients continue to depend on donors each and every day,” said Paul Sullivan, senior vice president of Red Cross Blood Services, in the release. “The Red Cross appreciates the support of those who rolled up a sleeve to give in recent months, but the need doesn’t stop. We need the public’s help to avoid another blood shortage this summer.”
Because blood donations must be used within a certain period of time, they must constantly be replenished, according to the Red Cross.
"There is no known end date in this fight against coronavirus, and the Red Cross urgently needs the help of donors and blood drive hosts to ensure blood products are readily available for patients," the release said.
Those who give blood through May 31 will receive a t-shirt by mail while supplies last. For the month of June, donors will receive a $5 Amazon gift card through email, courtesy of Amazon, the release said.
Area blood drives will take place across the Dallas-Fort Worth area in the next few weeks, including at locations in Frisco, McKinney, Plano, Coppell, Richardson, Frisco, Grapevine and Keller. Those who would like to donate in the coming weeks or months can find and make appointments at RedCrossBlood.org, by calling 1-800-733-2767 or by downloading the Red Cross Blood Donor App.
Here is a list of donation locations within our coverage area through June 15:
- May 30, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., GOP Headquarters, 2963 W. 15th St., Ste. 2981, Plano
- June 1, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Baylor Medical Center at McKinney, 5252 W. University Drive, McKinney
- June 2, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Frisco Community, 11000 Eldorado Parkway, Frisco
- June 4, 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Medical Office Building, 4500 Medical Center Drive, Ste. 204, McKinney
- June 4, 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Chase Oaks Church: Legacy Campus, 201 Legacy Drive, Plano
- June 6, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Douglass Community Center, 1111 Ave. H, Plano
- June 6, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Tom Muehlenbeck Recreation Center, 5801 W. Parker Road, Plano
- June 13, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., FUMC Plano, 3160 E. Spring Creek Parkway, Plano
- June 10, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 420 S. Heartz Road, Coppell
- June 15, 1-7 p.m., Drury Plaza Hotel Richardson, 165 Cityline Drive, Richardson
- June 14, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Rivendale by the Lake HOA Clubhouse, 15812 Weymouth Drive, Frisco
- June 12, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Grubbs Infiniti, 1500 Hwy. 114, Grapevine
- June 13, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Heritage Clubhouse, 9536 Courtright Drive, Keller