Aug. 25: Crochet a bucket hat
Millhouse McKinney is offering a chance to learn to crochet a bucket hat with fiber artist Care Sharpin. Attendees will need to bring some supplies with them including a J hook, scissors, stitch makers and 700 yards of yarn, but the instructor will provide the pattern.
- 1-5 p.m.
- 610 Elm St., McKinney
- 202-810-2101. www.visitmckinney.com/event/learn-to-crochet-summer-bucket-hat-with-care-sharpin/6843
Millhouse and the McKinney Cotton Mill are partnering to host Summer Art Fest, an indoor art festival showcasing the work of local and regional artisans.
- 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Free (admission)
- McKinney Cotton Mill, 610 Elm St., McKinney
- 214-326-6595. www.millhousefoundation.org/artfest
The Marksmen Bluegrass Gospel Quartet will perform at the McKinney Performing Arts Center. The award-winning group will entertain attendees with gospel songs.
- 4-5:30 p.m.
- McKinney Performing Arts Center, 111 N. Tennessee St., McKinney
- 972-547-2650. www.mckinneytexas.org/Calendar.aspx?EID=21595
Join Clair Robertson, Collin College art history professor, for a look into Michelangelo’s work that is not as well known as the sculpture of David or the Sistine Chapel.
- 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Carriage House of the Heard-Craig Center, 205 W. Hunt St., McKinney
- 972-569-6909. www.heard-craig.ticketleap.com/michelangelos-other-works-art-history-lecture
The Sanctuary Music and Events is hosting Beatlegras Live at The Sanctuary. Beatlegras formed in 2003 and perform bluegrass versions of classic Beatles songs. Country music musician Songbird Jones will also perform.
- 8-11 p.m.
- 6633 Virginia Parkway, McKinney
- 972-540-6420. www.showclix.com/event/beatlegras2023
Learn the basics of cutting, preparing and fusion process for creating glass plant stakes for use in gardens. No previous glasswork experience is necessary, and each attendee will make three plant stakes.
- 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Jump Into Arts Studios, 404 N. Church St., McKinney
- 214-937-9153. www.jumpintoart.com/store/p334/Glass-Fusing-Plant-Stake-Workshop.html#
Dunn & Brooks, a tribute to Brooks & Dunn, will perform at Hub 21. Food will be available from ChopShop McKinney, Fork & Fire and The Elwood, and attendees can find wine and appetizers at Wine a Little.
- 7-9 p.m.
- Free (admission)
- Hub 21, 7570 SH 121, McKinney
Jump Into Art Studios is hosting a two-part workshop where attendees can create their own wooden trivet or charcuterie board with one day of creating and a second day of grouting. Materials for the workshop are included.
- 10 a.m.-3 p.m. (Sept. 9), 1-3 p.m. ( Sept. 10)
- Jump Into Art Studios, 404 N. Church St., McKinney.
- 214-937-9153. www.jumpintoart.com
Lone Star Wine Cellars is hosting a guided wine and cheese pairing experience where attendees will learn about each pairing from a certified wine expert.
- 7-8:30 p.m.
- Lone Star Wine Cellars, 103 E. Virginia St., McKinney
- 972-547-9463. www.lonestarwinecellars.com
Learn about interior decorating from artist and interior designer Malika Roberts. She will teach attendees how to decorate their homes using items they love and share how inspiration can translate into interiors that showcase one’s collection.
- 2:30- 4 p.m.
- Heard-Craig Centers for the Arts, 205 W. Hunt St., McKinney
- 972-569-6909. www.heard-craig.ticketleap.com/an-art-view-on-interiors/details
Enjoy authentic German food, domestic and imported beer and live music in Historic Downtown McKinney’s Oktoberfest celebration. In addition to the live music, a beard and mustache competition will be held, and Tupps Brewery representatives will tap the keg, which serves as the event’s opening ceremony.
- 4 p.m.-midnight (Sept. 22), 10 a.m.-midnight (Sept. 23), 12:30-6:30 p.m. (Sept. 24)
- Free (admission)
- 111 N. Tennessee St., McKinney
- 972-547-2660. www.mckinneytexas.org/664/Oktoberfest